NIT Games Discussion Thread

13 minutes ago, dlarry said:

My thinking is they either blow the first round game or make it to the finals.

I don’t think we will see anything else.

My guess is finals.

I honestly think Mississippi State could be the best team we would play until the finals, so this is my line of thinking as well.  We should not lose to Richmond especially with them missing Golden and Francis.  Ole Miss is the only potentially better team on the bottom half of our bracket, but it isn't 100% they make it to the final 4.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

surprised actually considering we have 3-4 true billiken haters that post here regularly.    then add in a couple of people that want to prove how smart they are would have thought a few would have had us losing. 

Or maybe the “Billiken haters” don’t care about the NIT.

55 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Richmond also played without Blake Francis.  I think both are done for the year.  Toldeo's Spencer Littleson, who shot nearly 50% from three all year, took the night off by going 2 of 5 from deep.  This from a guy who jacks about 10 threes per game.  He took 218 the entire year prior to last night.  The team as a whole shot 23% and their leading scorer Marreon Jackson scored 10 on 1 of 6 shooting.  Richmoind is now down to their big three ... Cayo, Gilyard and a developing Burton.  I am surprised they won.  I figured with Golden and Francis out, they'd be out.  We know who they are; they know who we are.  Need to get there first.

I made my pick not knowing that Golden and Francis were not playing so I would have picked differently had I known.

Western KY is getting good players and St. Mary’s had a down season.

I would love to have a home and home with St. Mary’s and WKU.

Thanks for the Toledo rundown.

10 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I honestly think Mississippi State could be the best team we would play until the finals, so this is my line of thinking as well.  We should not lose to Richmond especially with them missing Golden and Francis.  Ole Miss is the only potentially better team on the bottom half of our bracket, but it isn't 100% they make it to the final 4.

Bassey/Western Kentucky would be scary but I generally agree with this. Richmond is a good matchup for us even when they're at full strength so I like our chances.

17 minutes ago, Brighton said:

Or maybe the “Billiken haters” don’t care about the NIT.

big surprise you'd pipe in here.  NOT

Hey guys,

Technology has really been a pain in my butt today. I have been trying to get our video on Youtube and Anchor to upload our audio only episode to all platforms. I finally managed to get Youtube up and I wanted to put it up here because this board has been so instrumental to the success of both podcasts. Given our special guest, I think the video edition is well worth a watch!

Audio only will be up at some point this afternoon. I'll be upgrading my macbook soon so hopefully these issues will be a thing of the past.\

Zac

Pistol likes this

22 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

With the NC State win, 10 perfect NIT brackets left.

Make that 9. I had SMU. I need a dramatic comeback from the mustangs.

Of all the first round games, I was least excited about SMU-Boise State because both have sputtered down the stretch. But they've given us a close game with a lot of offense. 81-79 with 1:37 to play.

all i know is that smu and boise state appeared to be far better than any of the ncaa teams that played last night.   i think probably the entire NIT is deserving of being in the ncaa this year.   large gap in good between say the top 20 teams and the rest of the ncaa tourney.   not sure what the committee was drinking at those meetings.   

oh yeah, fire brenda

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

all i know is that smu and boise state appeared to be far better than any of the ncaa teams that played last night.   i think probably the entire NIT is deserving of being in the ncaa this year.   large gap in good between say the top 20 teams and the rest of the ncaa tourney.   not sure what the committee was drinking at those meetings.   

oh yeah, fire brenda

NCAA just followed the NET to the button until it came to the end and the need (1) to bestow the 9th NCAA bid and NCAA Unit  ($$$) to the Big 10 with that Michigan State/Tom Izzo Lifetime Achievement Award, and (2) to service the second AAC bid. That’s where the 2 variances from the NET came into play. 

25 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Like the NCAA experimenting in some seasons in the NIT, I filled out an NIT bracket based upon Pomeroy rankings. So far that selection basis has yielded an 0fer, as in 0-4. 

Boise State 85 SMU 84 was an entertaining game.

It was the best game of the night.   I was impressed with both teams

2 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

NCAA just followed the NET to the button until it came to the end and the need (1) to bestow the 9th NCAA bid and NCAA Unit  ($$$) to the Big 10 with that Michigan State/Tom Izzo Lifetime Achievement Award, and (2) to service the second AAC bid. That’s where the 2 variances from the NET came into play. 

The consensus on the Michigan State board is that mid-majors where adversely impacted by the shortened non-conference schedule, which took away probable wins over P5 teams.   There was even a prediction that the Committee would do a deep dive for name teams to shore up the absence of Duke and UK in the tournament.  At least they're honest.

all i know is of the 8 teams i saw play last night, imo the billikens were better than all of them.   the best game of the night on TV was the SMU vs Boise State from the NIT.   both of them are better than the 8 NCAA teams as well.   after probaby the top 20 teams/spots in the ncaa i say the rest of the field is the worst the committee has ever seeded.  

oh and Fire Brenda