2021 NCAA Tournament Discussion

2 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

I don’t get this comment. Gonzaga is as dominant right now as any program could be. With the win last night, Gonzaga became the first team EVER to win 30 games in five consecutive seasons.

Right. My comment was about Mark Few and how he never returned to Oregon to coach.  He is far and away the best coach in the the country, but even with the success he has brought Gonzaga, Gonzaga still doesn't have the resources that all the other elite teams have.  And I was pointing out how mind-blowing it would be if you combined Mark Few + the money and resources of Oregon, together.  

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, brianstl said:

In the last eight tournaments Dana Altman has advanced at least to the Sweet 16 five times, at least the Elite 8 twice and the Final Four once.  Would Few have done better? Maybe, but Altman has been super successful at Oregon.  

Dana has done a Steller job, no arguing that.  But Id put a lot of money on Few doing better than that, for sure. 

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

this morning on espn they asked jay bilas how gonzaga loses?   his response, "they have a bad shooting night".

the eye roll on this is the fact all gonzaga shoots is layups.   i think jay needs to find a better answer, because i seriously doubt gonzaga misses 80% of their layups Saturday or Monday. 

imo, gonzag appears bulletproof and the "no one has went undefeated since booby knight in 1976" is going to be retired.   what that program has become is actually amazing considering the deck is so stacked towards the blue bloods and p5 conferences.   granted it has taken 3 decades to climb this mountain, but it was a steady upwards climb and besides kudos to few, applause for the gonzaga administration and BoT who had the patience and foresight to stick with few and make this happen.  

now i have totally jinxed them and ucla wins on a buzzer beater Saturday.  😁   

Foul trouble. Timme or Suggs on the bench is the only way I see them losing. I love the way they share the ball. 

billiken_roy likes this

39 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Right. My comment was about Mark Few and how he never returned to Oregon to coach.  He is far and away the best coach in the the country, but even with the success he has brought Gonzaga, Gonzaga still doesn't have the resources that all the other elite teams have.  And I was pointing out how mind-blowing it would be if you combined Mark Few + the money and resources of Oregon, together.  

My point is I don't think you could expect his success anywhere else to exceed what Gonzaga is doing. But you're right, Few at Oregon would be powerful.

36 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Gonzaga gets the opportunity to avenge the tragic loss to UCLA in the ‘06 Tourney. I once saw Adam Morrison score 41 points at USF(CA), thought I was watching the next Larry Bird. But he never made it big in the NBA.

He was never the same after tearing his ACL early in his NBA career. I wonder how much different his career would've been if it occurred a decade later (quicker and better ACL recovery + the game has evolved).

3 hours ago, brianstl said:

In the last eight tournaments Dana Altman has advanced at least to the Sweet 16 five times, at least the Elite 8 twice and the Final Four once.  Would Few have done better? Maybe, but Altman has been super successful at Oregon.  

Knight rider. 

Wow!

It didn’t work out but I like the aggressiveness of UCLA.

Take the ball to the hoop in that situation. Make a play.

You don’t need to jack a fade away 3 in that situation. Go make something happen.

That said I still think UCLA waited to long to start the offense.

1 minute ago, dlarry said:

Holy Smokes!

What a game.

Not sure he called bank on that final shot. 

Wow. We’ll be talking about this one for years. You gotta love college basketball. This is what it’s all about. Someday, we’ll be a part of it this late in the year.

Great game...Just one of the real classic NCAA Tourney games. I'm rooting for the Zags as I used to see them play a lot of times when I lived in WA. I have a lot of respect for Mark Few as a HC. Sure hope they cut down the nets Monday night.

3 hours ago, Lando Griffin said:

The game was stupid good! Kudos to what Cronin has done with UCLA. 

Zags live on.  And despite allll of the upsets we have chalk in the finals! 

This is going to be a hell of a Final!

Didn’t Mizzou pass over Cronin in their last two coaching searches?

4 minutes ago, Lando Griffin said:

Yeah can’t play that game.  Too many good coaches are always passed over by every program! 

We can play whatever game we want as long as that game makes SPUMAC look bad.