2021 NCAA Tournament Discussion

imo, it's gonzaga and then all the rest.    i really dont think anyone has the complete team to beat gonzaga.   but this is college basketball where "on any given night" rings so true.   

oddly i like usc as the most possible to beat gonzaga so if it is going to happen, next game........i love those two brothers.  

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

imo, it's gonzaga and then all the rest.    i really dont think anyone has the complete team to beat gonzaga.   but this is college basketball where "on any given night" rings so true.   

oddly i like usc as the most possible to beat gonzaga so if it is going to happen, next game........i love those two brothers.  

I hate to say it but Baylor is for real too.  Post COVID they had an issue but they're firing on all cylinders again now.

Check out Houston, love him or hate him Sampson fields some good teams.

thatskablamo likes this

22 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I hate to say it but Baylor is for real too.  Post COVID they had an issue but they're firing on all cylinders again now.

Check out Houston, love him or hate him Sampson fields some good teams.

How will Nantz handle the ‘Cougs if they make it to the Final Four? I’ve always considered him to be fairly impartial, but that’s his alma mater. 

Phi Slamma Jamma 2.0

Kelvin Sampson reportedly claims Houston program is recovering from regression after the old Southwest Conference broke up (and Houston was left behind by the Big XII) because the breakup deprived Houston of its rivalries.  Cougs may have some incentive if they make the Final 4 and square off with Baylor, which was chosen by the XII, in an interesting piece of Texas politics.

Houston is expected to end this very surprising Oregon State run.  Cougs are 8 point favorites, o129 per cbssports.com.

Baylor is 7.5 point favorite over Arkansas, o148.

In the Tuesday games, Gonzaga -9 vs. USC, o153.5;  Michigan -7 vs. UCLA, o136.

Who is going to win and go to the Final 4?

It seems the easier side of the bracket to pick is the Right Side, 1 Seed Baylor over 3 Arkansas and 2 Seed Houston over 12 Oregon State.

The Left Side features 1 Seed Overall Gonzaga vs. 6 USC, and 1 Seed Michigan vs. 11 UCLA, both missing key players out due to injuries.  The Zags finally did make it to the Final 4, but have a history of laying eggs in the Tournament. 

I was a youth when Lew Alcindor, Bill Walton, et al. were leading Coach John Wooden, The Wizard of Westwood to many of those National Championships.  UCLA has 11, but none since 1995 under then Coach Larry Brown, and none before that since 1975.

USC is traditionally a Football school, but has the Mobley Brothers.  USC played an imported East Coast Zone Defense vs. Oregon in the Sweet 16.

Will the Billikens ever reach this hallowed height?  1948 with Easy Ed and winning that NIT was well before my time.

I was in attendance at Pauley Pavilion, Saturday afternoon, 12/20/1997, when the Billikens, under Coach Charlie Spoonhour, with freshman star, #20 Larry Hughes, played the UCLA Bruins of Coach Steve Lavin with Baron Davis and Earl Watson at the Guards.  The Billikens put up a good fight before running into some home cooking, California Cuisine, falling 73-67.  And yes, The Wizard of Westwood, Coach John Wooden, was in attendance, seated in his usual spot behind and past the end of the UCLA Bench.  The fans lined up at halftime to pay him homage, introducing their youngsters to The Wizard.  

Pauley Pavilion has been renovated since my visit.  When I was there, the place looked right out of the 1960's, typical UC '60's vintage architecture, the type of stuff that transformed an iconic setting on the Beach at UC Santa Barbara into Communist block buildings reminiscent of Bratislava across the Danube.  Pauley was more like a fieldhouse, with the end zone seating way away from the court.

9 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Random tournament outcomes after the most random regular season ever.  I'm not sure there's anything we can learn from this tournament that can be carried over into next season.  Does anybody expect Oregon State and UCLA to finish as top 5 teams next year?  I don't.  But they've been two of the most consistent teams in this tournament.

This tournament has always been about the right team playing well at the right time doesn’t matter what they did in November-February. 

On 3/27/2021 at 6:54 PM, BilliesBy40 said:

The zone was such an obvious strategy against Loyola that I think @brianstlis right about Underwood’s ability.

One thing today’s game showed is how helpful it is to be ELITE on D. Loyola had no business being in that game but their D allowed it to happen and gave them a chance.

Great point.  If they hit 1 or 2 shots and a handful of free throws they win that game easy.

Oh well, Loyola very well could be back next year. 

On 3/28/2021 at 5:51 AM, cheeseman said:

Money talks - if IN wants Moser and Moser wants a big pay day then he will go.  If it does not work out he will have the money and easily find another Loyola situation of some sort.

Indiana didn’t want him for some reason and who knows why.  

I think he’d be foolish to go to DePaul as Loyola has long since passed them in terms of program strength because of him.  He should just do it all again next year with Loyola.  Yeah he loses Krutwig and Williamson but they have some really solid youngsters that fit time and a chance to develop this year. 

11 hours ago, Lando Griffin said:

Indiana didn’t want him for some reason and who knows why.  

I think he’d be foolish to go to DePaul as Loyola has long since passed them in terms of program strength because of him.  He should just do it all again next year with Loyola.  Yeah he loses Krutwig and Williamson but they have some really solid youngsters that fit time and a chance to develop this year. 

IU must lean heavily on people with ties to the Knicks organization. Isaiah Thomas, Woodson, etc. 

13 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Who is going to win and go to the Final 4?

It seems the easier side of the bracket to pick is the Right Side, 1 Seed Baylor over 3 Arkansas and 2 Seed Houston over 12 Oregon State.

The Left Side features 1 Seed Overall Gonzaga vs. 6 USC, and 1 Seed Michigan vs. 11 UCLA, both missing key players out due to injuries.  The Zags finally did make it to the Final 4, but have a history of laying eggs in the Tournament. 

I was a youth when Lew Alcindor, Bill Walton, et al. were leading Coach John Wooden, The Wizard of Westwood to many of those National Championships.  UCLA has 11, but none since 1995 under then Coach Larry Brown, and none before that since 1975.

USC is traditionally a Football school, but has the Mobley Brothers.  USC played an imported East Coast Zone Defense vs. Oregon in the Sweet 16.

Will the Billikens ever reach this hallowed height?  1948 with Easy Ed and winning that NIT was well before my time.

Jim Harrick not Larry Brown.

36 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Jim Harrick not Larry Brown.

That was such a good team - the Tyus Edney coast-to-coast still haunts Missouri fans to this day. Cam Dollar, Toby Bailey and the O’Bannon Bros were also incredibly exciting college players. 

LoRo assistant coach on that 95 team as well. 

1 hour ago, thatskablamo said:

That was such a good team - the Tyus Edney coast-to-coast still haunts Missouri fans to this day. Cam Dollar, Toby Bailey and the O’Bannon Bros were also incredibly exciting college players. 

LoRo assistant coach on that 95 team as well. 

All 3 UCLA Assistant Coaches from that ‘95 team became D-1 Head Coaches, Lorenzo Romar, Mark Gottfried, Steve Lavin.  And yes, Jim Harrick was the HC.

thatskablamo likes this

34 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Tonight in the Elite 8: 

Gonzaga -8.5 vs. USC, o153, 7:45 Eastern;

Michigan -6.5 vs. UCLA, o136, 9:57 Eastern.

Who do you have? These should be 2 great games. 

34 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Tonight in the Elite 8: 

Gonzaga -8.5 vs. USC, o153, 7:45 Eastern;

Michigan -6.5 vs. UCLA, o136, 9:57 Eastern.

Who do you have? These should be 2 great games. 

I predict at least one west coast team will win.

41 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

All 3 UCLA Assistant Coaches from that ‘95 team became D-1 Head Coaches, Lorenzo Romar, Mark Gottfried, Steve Lavin.  And yes, Jim Harrick was the HC.

Later, he would go to Athens, GA and form a band called Jim Harrick and the Mathematicians.  I forgot about Gottfried. That 95 team was stacked. Bob Meyers - Golden State Warriors GM was a walk-on! 

I was on a business trip in LA and saw that last UCLA Championship team play their rival at Pauley Pavilion. My seat was behind the basket and I sat next to a couple who were UCLA Alums. I said to them you are sitting behind a basket while what appears to be the student section sitting in the better seats. Their reply was that is the way it should be. UCLA beat USC that night. 

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Woman's NCAA.  What'ca think. Totally vertical.  No reach in.  This play was significant in the loss.

Got her with the body and wasn't straight up at all... pretty insane no call. The contact was way more egregious than the contact at the end of the Texas ACU game.

HoosierPal likes this