2021 NCAA Tournament Discussion

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

Lots of shooting and lots of missing in that one.... that was a painful two hours. Pretty amazing run the beavers are on right now though. 

Looked to me like both teams were playing pretty solid D. When that happens games get ugly. 

25 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Looked to me like both teams were playing pretty solid D. When that happens games get ugly. 

Very very solid D but also a lot of wide a** open bricks. Credit to the beavs for clogging the lane and daring them to shoot it.

Pretty insane that Oregon state has beaten so many good teams in the past two and a half weeks (UCLA, Oregon, Colorado, Tennessee, Oklahoma state, and now Loyola)

So tough. If Loyola would’ve beaten them that would’ve been 3/5 power conference tournament champions.

Alas they just couldn’t hit a shot.  Kudos to Oregon State for throwing a zone at them.  I thought they were finally turning the tide toward the back end of the 2nd half when they got about 3/4 stops but that ill-advised 3 and just an inability to make shots doomed them. 

interesting to see if Moser gets and takes that Indiana job.  Otherwise I think he’s back and building another strong 4 year squad.

1 hour ago, Lando Griffin said:

So tough. If Loyola would’ve beaten them that would’ve been 3/5 power conference tournament champions.

Alas they just couldn’t hit a shot.  Kudos to Oregon State for throwing a zone at them.  I thought they were finally turning the tide toward the back end of the 2nd half when they got about 3/4 stops but that ill-advised 3 and just an inability to make shots doomed them. 

interesting to see if Moser gets and takes that Indiana job.  Otherwise I think he’s back and building another strong 4 year squad.

The zone was such an obvious strategy against Loyola that I think @brianstlis right about Underwood’s ability.

One thing today’s game showed is how helpful it is to be ELITE on D. Loyola had no business being in that game but their D allowed it to happen and gave them a chance.

2 hours ago, BilliesBy40 said:

The zone was such an obvious strategy against Loyola that I think @brianstlis right about Underwood’s ability.

One thing today’s game showed is how helpful it is to be ELITE on D. Loyola had no business being in that game but their D allowed it to happen and gave them a chance.

You’re right.  I’m with two Illinois fans, and they said the same thing.  A simple zone and making them shoot outside would’ve really slowed Loyola.

Loyola’s D kept them in that game.  Again if they hit 2 or 3 more threes and a handful of free throws they win.  Tough loss to take.

With Smart going to Marquette is it really worth the 1-2MM more to take on the pressure at Indiana in the Big10 for Moser?  He has Loyola really rolling  right now in a hot bed player market. 

Georgia Tech and Illinois both hit Loyola with a zone defense.

The fact that Loyola was shooting below 20% from the perimeter for most of the game (1-9 in the first half) had a way of making the zone look obvious today.  Loyola had lots of good looks all around, but they were obviously not falling.

8 hours ago, Lando Griffin said:

You’re right.  I’m with two Illinois fans, and they said the same thing.  A simple zone and making them shoot outside would’ve really slowed Loyola.

Loyola’s D kept them in that game.  Again if they hit 2 or 3 more threes and a handful of free throws they win.  Tough loss to take.

With Smart going to Marquette is it really worth the 1-2MM more to take on the pressure at Indiana in the Big10 for Moser?  He has Loyola really rolling  right now in a hot bed player market. 

Money talks - if IN wants Moser and Moser wants a big pay day then he will go.  If it does not work out he will have the money and easily find another Loyola situation of some sort.

8 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Money talks - if IN wants Moser and Moser wants a big pay day then he will go.  If it does not work out he will have the money and easily find another Loyola situation of some sort.

Indiana should go after Beard and Texas should go after Oats. Moser should take slightly more money and own chicago at DePaul imo - sh** job currently but better than Loyola was when moser took it over and much higher ceiling. Or stay and hope that ND tanks another year, he would fit perfectly there.

One thing we can all agree on these Capital One commercials are terrible.   I'd rather watch 50 Becky Queen of Carpet commercials (back when she was portly).  Or maybe even a Kutiss one instead. 

WUH likes this

10 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

One thing we can all agree on these Capital One commercials are terrible.   I'd rather watch 50 Becky Queen of Carpet commercials (back when she was portly).  Or maybe even a Kutiss one instead. 

I hope this is sarcasm. 

5 hours ago, A10Ref said:

Moser should take slightly more money and own Chicago at DePaul imo - sh** job currently but better than Loyola was when Moser took it over and much higher ceiling. Or stay and hope that ND tanks another year, he would fit perfectly there.

A higher ceiling than a Sweet 16 and a Final Four in a four year period?