2021 NCAA Tournament Discussion

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Lando Griffin said:

Okay, just asking.  I wish they would’ve been a 10.  I bet they wish too deep down.

I am sure they do.  

And I don’t have a big issue with their seed either.  I think they are better than their seed, but I understand why the committee seeded them where they did.  They looked at Loyola probably exactly like @slufanskip is looking at Loyola and that is fair enough.

3 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I am sure they do.  

And I don’t have a big issue with their seed either.  I think they are better than their seed, but I understand why the committee seeded them where they did.  They looked at Loyola probably exactly like @slufanskip is looking at Loyola and that is fair enough.

Great point and agree with you. 

Thoughts on how they matchup with a potentially 2nd round game against Illinois?

3 minutes ago, brianstl said:

@slufanskip I should add, I don’t blame you for doubting how good they actually are.  I think it is fair to question how good most teams in this tournament actually are. There are more really flawed resumes and more teams with multiple flaws on the court in this tournament than I can ever remember.  

thank you and I don't blame you for thinking they're top 20. It's easy to assume teams are better than they are when they've built their resume's by looking good playing mediocre teams. 

I don't care about their conference since they don't play themselves their entire conference sans Drake is rated at or above 100. Not hard to look good. 

They had 3 chances out of conference and went 1-2 with an 8 point home victory against #59 N Texas State. A team that except for a good tourney run wouldn't even be in the tourney. They lost by 14 at Wisc and by 2 to Richmond at home. A top 20 team doesn't do that. They didn't have a large Covid break. They went 8 days between games once and 6 a couple of times. 

5 minutes ago, Lando Griffin said:

Shout out to TBS for trying to create controversy when Izzo is coaching.  Jesus, grow up, this world is becoming so soft.

Ehh, the exchange was unusual and awkward to watch. I thought they handled it fine.

Tonight’s games have been entertaining. Excited for the full day of games tomorrow.

10 hours ago, slufanskip said:

thank you and I don't blame you for thinking they're top 20. It's easy to assume teams are better than they are when they've built their resume's by looking good playing mediocre teams.

That is the secret Sulfan, you know it. This system applies in every field. You look good by playing mediocre teams and following rules. This is the method used by LOTS of people and LOTS of companies to look good and get good reputations. Surround yourself with idiots, play only against mediocre teams, YOU will look good. Nowadays it is the way you look that counts.

I think that walking out of that Richmond game may have cost us dearly. It created a bad image from the point of view of those deciding who was going to play. The NCAA thinking may have gone something like this: "SLU cannot be trusted to follow tournament regulations and just play when they have to, even if they have to play against a team playing with just 5 or 6 players because everyone else in the team is sidelined by Covid." We presented a real risk to throw the tournament up in the air by insisting we would not play Richmond because the St. Louis Covid regs did not allow it. Committees HATE risk, and they want their regulations to be followed without question. Brenda just played her part as a team player at the selection committee by just agreeing with whatever they discussed. She was not going to put herself into a "controversial" group to fight for SLU.

Of course, SLU helped itself to be eliminated from the dance by getting blown away by St. Bona, that was the final nail in the coffin. Whatever the braketologists said (look at Palm saying we were in or out and switching his opinion repeatedly) they really do not know what is going on inside the selection committee. I think the committee was just NOT going to select us for the dance. They chose instead to select mediocre teams that would follow NCAA rules without question.

What I just posted is the way I IMAGINE the selection committee might have decided what to do with SLU. We were good enough to get some crumbs (3rd replacement team), but no one was going to fight to get us in the dance. This is my opinion, I do not know how the committee really thought about SLU. Feel free to disagree if you think otherwise.

10 hours ago, slufanskip said:

I think the same can be said the other way too.

It’s easy to assume a team is overrated because they haven’t played anybody.

That’s what makes the NCAA tournament so awesome.

16 hours ago, brianstl said:

Because I have watched them play multiple times. They play better defense than we did in our three year run and they are efficient enough offensively.  They won’t make the Final Four this year but they are good and will give the Illini a good test in the second round.

Loyola is more likely to lose to Ga Tech (without their best player) than keep it within 10 against Illinois.

On that note, I’m excited for the Loyola game today. Tough draw for both teams.