Official NIT Hype Thread

Just bought 6 NIT tix center court $16 each!

Booked my Hotel too, Knights Inn here I come!

Not sure if I'll have time to pregame like that KU game in KC or that Seton Hall game in Jersey.  So 5 buy a few extra for me to slam upon arrival section 106, biz-natches!  NIT Fever Catch It!!!!!!!   

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, dlarry said:

Agree.

It’s like expecting a Ferrari for your 16th birthday and ending up with a Ford Pinto.

You might be bummed you didn’t get the Ferrari but at least you can drive your buddies around in the Pinto.

just don't back into anyone

2 hours ago, dennis_w said:

Agree, what a joke putting nine big 10 teams in the tourney

top 4 Big 10 teams 2-3 non con against other tourney teams. Wins against UNC and the powerful Cleveland State. Losses all neutral Mizzou plus Baylor and Gonzaga by double digits.  

The next 5 teams 24-46 vs quad 1. Maryland 7-13 vs quad 1 and 2. 

The thing isn't to actually be good. Just get ranked high early, don't play anyone out of conference to change anything then all your losses are good losses against other highly ranked teams who haven't played anyone out of conference. 

BJK likes this

3 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

top 4 Big 10 teams 2-3 non con against other tourney teams. Wins against UNC and the powerful Cleveland State. Losses all neutral Mizzou plus Baylor and Gonzaga by double digits.  

The next 5 teams 24-46 vs quad 1. Maryland 7-13 vs quad 1 and 2. 

The thing isn't to actually be good. Just get ranked high early, don't play anyone out of conference to change anything then all your losses are good losses against other highly ranked teams who haven't played anyone out of conference. 

It's a bulletproof strategy.  The NCAA have effectively turned the NIT into a mid-major tournament. Eleven of the sixteen teams are from mid-major conferences. You have to wonder if this is the long term plan.

billiken_roy likes this

38 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

It's a bulletproof strategy.  The NCAA have effectively turned the NIT into a mid-major tournament. Eleven of the sixteen teams are from mid-major conferences. You have to wonder if this is the long term plan.

3 Big East and 2 ACC teams that probably would have been in opted out. Long term the big conferences might think they are to good for the NIT but who knows.

1 minute ago, slusam said:

3 Big East and 2 ACC teams that probably would have been in opted out. Long term the big conferences might think they are to good for the NIT but who knows.

As long as there is an opt-out, many high-majors will take it. 

44 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

To take this further and cover the other Big 10 tourney teams non con

Wisc W vs L'Ville home, W vs Loyola Chic home, Loss @ Marq

Rutgers W vs Syracuse home  other games Fairleigh Dick, Sacred Heart, Hofstra. 

Purdue Neutral Clemson - L   @ Miami L 

Maryland @ Clemson -L 

Mich St.   No One 

So 3-3 vs other tourney team non conference. 

Add back in the top 4 and the Big 10 was 5-6 against tourney teams with no top 1 top 25 win non con which was a home game vs Loyola Chic. After that 40ish net ranked L'Ville and Syracuse. 1 of those 5 is 160th net ranked Cleveland State. 

Puxxies

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

I don’t get it.

People want the David vs Goliath story line.

Mid Majors making runs is what makes the tournament exciting. 

When Kevin Wheeler was on 101.1  he would talk about how people want Michigan vs UCLA games not Butler vs Texas. It would drive me nuts Because the Butler vs Texas is what the tournament is all about.

Im shocked if the average fan wants more blue bloods in. 
It’s my belief they want the opposite.

1 minute ago, dlarry said:

I don’t get it.

When Kevin Wheeler was on 101.1  he would talk about how people want Michigan vs UCLA games not Butler vs Texas. It would drive me nuts Because the Butler vs Texas is what the tournament is all about.

what the people want and what the p5 conferences teams want are two different thing.  they dont want to share revenue with anyone.   

Of course we all wish we had gotten an NCAA bid, but glad for the team to get to enjoy postseason. 

Good teams in the NIT, got a couple of former Billiken Assistants in Buffalo and St. Mary's.. Could meet the Gaels in the semis, and as I have said many times a fan of Randy and their style.

A-10 is well represented,. 

With only 16 teams, tough field... 

Belmont went 26-4 , didn't get a bid, shame.. Belmont should try to get into the A-10, perhaps?

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

The fact that Loyola of Chicago is ranked 17, but seeded 8 tells you all you need to know about the NCAA Tourney power conference prejudice.  They want the likes of them out of the Tourney .... the quicker the better

Zink likes this

1 minute ago, WVBilliken said:

The fact that Loyola of Chicago is ranked 17, but seeded 8 tells you all you need to know about the NCAA Tourney power conference prejudice.

Their net is 10. 

However, they didn't really attempt to play anyone either. They lost both their decent non conference games @ Wisc and home vs Richmond. Other than that they beat Valley teams 

I guess I am really confused by the NET now.  I thought it was suppose to encourage you playing tougher opponents with the Quad break down.  I also thought it was suppose to recognize  teams that win by larger margins rather than just squeaking by.  So if Loyola Chicago has a NET 10 then how can it be that if they never played anybody does their NET not reflect this?  Sorry maybe I should know this but none of this is making sense now.

2 hours ago, dlarry said:

I don’t get it.

If they do steer it toward NIT being for best of the mid majors at least the winner should get a crack @ the big dance winner, or fold in some how before final game.

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

Their net is 10. 

However, they didn't really attempt to play anyone either. They lost both their decent non conference games @ Wisc and home vs Richmond. Other than that they beat Valley teams 

They were 2-2 quad 1 and 4-2 quad 2.  Pretty good.

7 minutes ago, almaman said:

If they do steer it toward NIT being for best of the mid majors at least the winner should get a crack @ the big dance winner, or fold in some how before final game.

If you're gonna do that, you've basically added another Region. Uh, Central?

I'd rather retire the NIT and add some teams to the dance right from the start. Make the tourney 96 teams, for example. Sprinkle in more play-in games (and/or give the ones and maybe the twos a first round bye) to weed out some of the lower-ranked fodder and go from there.

BigMouthBilliken likes this

1 hour ago, WVBilliken said:

They were 2-2 quad 1 and 4-2 quad 2.  Pretty good.

All those are Valley games. Is Drake Quad 1? It's not good. They played 3 decent teams outside of conference and went 1-2. So they beat an over rated Drake twice. The rest of the MVC has net rankings of 97,121,174,194,214,229,233. 

Non Conference the beat 346 and 287 and 59 N. Texas at home.  They lost to 27 on the road and 68 at home. 

They're entire rating comes from going 2-1 vs Drake  and beating Mo State twice on the road. Hell they split with #120 Ind state on the road. 

So Q1    

Wins Drake (45) away. Drake Neutral

Losses Wisc (27) away, Drake away

Q2 

Wins N Texas (59) home, Mo State (97) away x2, Ind St (120) away

Losses Richmond (68) home, Ind State away 

They have 1 game vs a top 40 opponent and they lost. 

The silliness to this is a win vs #31 at home is equal to a win vs #134 on the road. Does anyone actually believe that to be true? 

What are the Ken Pom rankings of Drake, N. Texas, Richmond, Mo St and Ind State. 

Box and Won likes this

Drake is 1-2 Q1 all of those vs Loyola Chic

Q2 5-0 

Ready for this 2 @ 97 Mo State by 7 and 5. 1 vs Mo St Neutral by 2

2 @120 Ind State by 18 and 7

Plus losses @ 174 Bradley by 6 and @229 Valpo by 17. 

That's it. This team got in the tourney over us 

Despite us having 2 quad 1 wins both teams with a net lower than 30. LSU (28) and St B (27)   Our quad 1 losses @ VCU (36) and St B (27)

Quad 2 for us both losses on the road Dayton (80) and Minn (77)  This is what's silly about an arbitrary cut off if either of those 2 got to 75 they would be Q1 losses. 

Quad 2 wins NC State (73) Richmond (68)

2 other losses Dayton (80) home and @ 203 La Salle our 1st 2 games out of Covid

Between the senior leadership, the chip on their shoulder, the two weeks to heal, and Coach Ford's unfinished A10/NIT business rom '08 this NIT's gonna be fun. 

Hoping we face Miss. St. (obviously) > Toledo > Ole Miss (nice to eliminate both of a state's flagship universities and continue our dominance over the SEC) > Memphis (start stoking the fire now for what hopefully becomes a perennial pre-season rivalry game starting this fall). 

22 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Drake is 1-2 Q1 all of those vs Loyola Chic

Q2 5-0 

Ready for this 2 @ 97 Mo State by 7 and 5. 1 vs Mo St Neutral by 2

2 @120 Ind State by 18 and 7

Plus losses @ 174 Bradley by 6 and @229 Valpo by 17. 

That's it. This team got in the tourney over us 

Despite us having 2 quad 1 wins both teams with a net lower than 30. LSU (28) and St B (27)   Our quad 1 losses @ VCU (36) and St B (27)

Quad 2 for us both losses on the road Dayton (80) and Minn (77)  This is what's silly about an arbitrary cut off if either of those 2 got to 75 they would be Q1 losses. 

Quad 2 wins NC State (73) Richmond (68)

2 other losses Dayton (80) home and @ 203 La Salle our 1st 2 games out of Covid

image.jpeg.be22dff1f72ea8b4f91ac1b2afd2cb74.jpeg

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

In 2019, 14 of the 22 NIT at large bids went to P6 conferences.

64 x 2 = 128.  Perfect tourney