Official NIT Hype Thread

Well, there is no denying that this season’s end has been painful. The NCAA tournament is dead to me this year. I haven’t looked at the bracket, and I probably won’t unless we get called up. I hope for the best to SBU and VCU, but otherwise, I say meh. Feel free to organize a boycott on your own time. That said, pain is just a part of the journey in life, and it is time to turn the page.

Onto the NIT! I am not sure why, but I am feeling fired up about this tournament. Part of it is that I really believe we can win it, but the other part is that I still want to see this team play. I want to see them recapture their early season form. I want them to hang a banner on the Chaifetz ceiling, and I want some token that this group can stamp into the history books.

Cue the Pitbull.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Per KenPom, SLU should be favored over every opponent in the NIT except for Memphis who we would not meet until the finals.

KenPom - rank team (NIT seed)

38 - Memphis (1)

47 - SLU (1)

48 - Ole Miss (1)

57 - Davidson (2)

59 - SMU (3)

60 - Boise St (2)

62 - Toledo (3)

63 Colorado St (1)

65 - Richmond (2)

68 - Buffalo (4)

73 - NC State (3)

75 - St. Mary's (2)

77 - Miss St (4)

79 - Dayton (4)

82 - LA Tech (4)

94 - Western Ky (3)

Players of Note - NIT Field

Marreon Jackson - Toledo

Josh Mbala - Buffalo

Kendrick Davis - SMU

Landers Nolley II - Memphis

Boogie Ellis - Memphis

David Roddy - Colorado State

Derrick Alston - Boise State

Charles Bassey - WKU

Kenneth Lofton - LA Tech

Logan Johnson - Saint Mary

Manny Bates - NC State

Devontae Shuler - Ole Miss

DJ Stewart Jr - Miss State

Abdul Ado - Miss State

Kellan Grady - Davidson

Jalen Crutcher - Dayton

Jacob Gilyard - Richmond

Blake Francis - Richmond

Jordan Goodwin - SLU

Javonte Perkins - SLU

This is admittedly very petty of me, but I’m not rooting for any of the A10 teams. I’m tired of the rest of the league choking during the non-conference only to beat up in each other to the point where the league only gets one at large bid. This league should routinely have four teams in the tourney every year. 

couple that with the horrible officiating we get year in and year out in this conference, and SBU and VCU are just another team to me.  Good for them if they win, but I won’t be pulling for them

8 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

If you're going to play in the NIT, ...

JUST WIN THE NIT!

And hoist a banner at Chaifetz Arena after you do so.

Teams' success or failure in the NIT has a lot to do with attitude.  If you want to play ball, play ball, and win!

The Billikens have played in the NIT final four times and have only won the championship in 1948.  Hope they make 2021 the second championship.

https://slubillikens.com/news/2021/3/14/mens-basketball-billikens-to-continue-season-in-nit.aspx

This will be SLU's 19th NIT appearance.  If you understand the history of college basketball, that is a good thing, not a bad thing.  Of course, the NIT is not the goal;  the NCAA is the goal.  

SLU won the 1948 NIT with #50, 6'8" Easy Ed Macauley when the NIT was a prestige tournament and considered the National Championship in many circles.  SLU has been the NIT runner up 3 times.

For reference, SLU has been in the NCAA Tournament 10 times.

RUBillsFan likes this

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

Not happy that we’re here, but since we are we might as well win it

Agree.

It’s like expecting a Ferrari for your 16th birthday and ending up with a Ford Pinto.

You might be bummed you didn’t get the Ferrari but at least you can drive your buddies around in the Pinto.

1 hour ago, gobillsgo said:

This is admittedly very petty of me, but I’m not rooting for any of the A10 teams. I’m tired of the rest of the league choking during the non-conference only to beat up in each other to the point where the league only gets one at large bid. This league should routinely have four teams in the tourney every year. 

couple that with the horrible officiating we get year in and year out in this conference, and SBU and VCU are just another team to me.  Good for them if they win, but I won’t be pulling for them

If anyone is involved in a10 Twitter at all, you know that no one in this league is rooting for SLU. Surprisingly, the most pro-SLU guys are probably the Dayton people, which is crazy. I’m 100% down with being the villainous team in this league for years to come. 

AGB91 and majerus mojo like this

1 hour ago, gobillsgo said:

so you would rather justify the committee gorging on the power conference teams?    while i am not enamoured with st bonnie and vcu i dam well am not rooting for ANY of the supposed big boys.   i want them to flop big time. 

dennis_w likes this

Just now, billiken_roy said:

so you would rather justify the committee gorging on the power conference teams?    while i am not enamoured with st bonnie and vcu i dam well am not rooting for ANY of the supposed big boys.   i want them to flop big time. 

Im rooting for the bonnies, not vcu.  I'll only cheer for VCU in OOC.  Their fans are the worst.  ps, I've got the Bonnies winning 2 games. 

The only NIT games I'll watch are the Bills games. Have two rooting interests in the NCAA in the Vols and the Zags. Became a Zags fan when I lived in WA and got to go to a few of their games. Hope to see both teams do well in the NCAA. 

19 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

If anyone is involved in a10 Twitter at all, you know that no one in this league is rooting for SLU. Surprisingly, the most pro-SLU guys are probably the Dayton people, which is crazy. I’m 100% down with being the villainous team in this league for years to come. 

I am not surprised re Dayton.   A whole delegation of Dayton fans came over to us to commiserate at the '14 A10 Tournament in Brooklyn, after we both got royally screwed back to back, SLU vs. the Bonnies, Dayton vs. St. Joe's.

Dayton thinks big picture, like SLU does.  We are the two West of the Appalachians outliers in the A10.  

And yes, most of the A10 sees SLU as a threat.  They know our potential.  They are also jealous.

I grew up on Long Island and when I played HS basketball, way BACK, in the late 60s I and the team would religiously go to the New Madison Garden to catch the NIT. Sometimes we be sitting all day catching 4 games. Back then all the games were played in the Garden. Saw Pete Maravich, Walt 'Clyde' Frazier, Dean 'the Dream' Meminger, etc.. It was great tourney. 

I just checked who won this thing the last couple years. Last time I attended was the late 80s when SLU was in the Finals those 2 years. Was surprised George Washington won it in 2016. Didn't even remember they played in it (us being in the midst of Crews dark seasons might dampen my enthusiasm). I plan to watch. Curious how Ford vs Howland will match up. It is what is today, let us win this thing!

2 hours ago, Littlebill said:

Exactly.  Our fit in this league is horrible, but barring admission into the big east (and NIT appearances aren’t gonna get that done) there really aren’t any better options

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Agree, what a joke putting nine big 10 teams in the tourney