GDT: NIT Selection Show

11 minutes ago, Matty Light said:

That CBI tournament in 2011 had a profound impact on both the VCU and SLU teams. These games can make a big difference for next years teams.

Yep Shaka and VCU went onto Final 4 the very next season.  It helps generate buzz for the next season plus they get experience.  

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Matty Light said:

That CBI tournament in 2011 had a profound impact on both the VCU and SLU teams. These games can make a big difference for next years teams.

We had the youngest team in the country that year and VCU was very young as well. Not even remotely comparable situations.

13 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

We had the youngest team in the country that year and VCU was very young as well. Not even remotely comparable situations.

Young is relative. No postseason last year, half a season + conference tourney this year. Only Thatch and Bell have really experienced a full season with significant minutes other French and Goodwin. It could be worthwhile for this team.

RUBillsFan likes this

27 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Yeah it's probably 4 hour drive from ATX.  Plus, I've never been to the Star (Dallas Cowboys new facility).  FC Dallas plays in Frisco.  The city is all new and strip malls etc but it has a lot of hotels and restaurants.  Fly into DFW and rent a car or Uber north.

Yep fly in Friday night around 8. Staying right by the arena 

2 hours ago, White Pelican said:

Honestly, why is there still an NIT at all?

College football plays DOZENs of meaningless Bowl Games that they hype up a ridiculous amount and that fans travel all over the country to watch in person.  They make these Bowl Games themselves events & the winner doesn't really matter.  Why shouldn't basketball have something similar with multiple postseason tournaments?  The old NIT before NCAA took over, IMO, was way better because they understood it was a showcase and not really a tournament to determine the winner of anything.  They didn't necessarily care about quality of teams / seeding and intentionally set up regional rivalries in the early rounds.  IMO the NIT should get back to that.

I really hate to say this, but realistically SLU is never going to win a national championship or at the very least the odds are miniscule.  Gonzaga has a chance this year, but the last non Power conference team to win it was UNLV over 30 years ago and they were cheating their asses off.  I don't root for SLU or watch games because I think they'll win a national title.  I understand that there is more hype & I definitely get more excited about NCAA games, but most importantly I just like to watch SLU basketball games.  Being in the NIT provides at least one opportunity to do that and put off the dreaded offseason content on this board for a little while.  Therefore, I'm all in on the NIT at this point.  

Gremio14, rgbilliken and SLU_Lax like this

44 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

College football plays DOZENs of meaningless Bowl Games that they hype up a ridiculous amount and that fans travel all over the country to watch in person.  They make these Bowl Games themselves events & the winner doesn't really matter.  Why shouldn't basketball have something similar with multiple postseason tournaments?  The old NIT before NCAA took over, IMO, was way better because they understood it was a showcase and not really a tournament to determine the winner of anything.  They didn't necessarily care about quality of teams / seeding and intentionally set up regional rivalries in the early rounds.  IMO the NIT should get back to that.

I really hate to say this, but realistically SLU is never going to win a national championship or at the very least the odds are miniscule.  Gonzaga has a chance this year, but the last non Power conference team to win it was UNLV over 30 years ago and they were cheating their asses off.  I don't root for SLU or watch games because I think they'll win a national title.  I understand that there is more hype & I definitely get more excited about NCAA games, but most importantly I just like to watch SLU basketball games.  Being in the NIT provides at least one opportunity to do that and put off the dreaded offseason content on this board for a little while.  Therefore, I'm all in on the NIT at this point.  

Amen

57 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I think teams like SLU and Dayton see what Butler did in 2010 and 2011 and think "that could be us". And it could, if everything goes right.

Houston has a chance because they have coach Sampson. Memphis has the right market, enrollment, etc, but until Penny gets to a Final Four, I don't consider them anywhere close.

Besides Gonzaga with what Mark Few has built there are too many obstacles for non-power 6 teams. Few has built the program brand up to the point where ESPN pays them to play in the high profile 1st half tournaments where Gonzaga gets the opportunity to prove themselves against the best teams. Win some games and the weak conference season in WCC becomes immaterial for the Big Dance. They earn it early.

54 minutes ago, Slufan10 said:

does SLU put up banners in Chaifetz for NIT appearances or just if we win the whole thing.?

Pretty sure there are 3 NIT-related banners: One showing all of our appearances, one for our three "NIT Final Four" appearances ('61, '89, '90), and one for our NIT championship ('48).

On 3/14/2021 at 11:10 PM, Clock_Tower said:

The "name" programs became what they are by winning.  Now, that their seasons are not what they normally have been, they are smart to shut down, especially in this odd COVID year and protect their name - by not playing future.   They have plenty of revenue from their current seasons and from prior year NCAA  Tourney credits.  Smart. 

Actually, it's because they're afraid of the hit their reputations take when they lose to SLU and other "mid-major" programs.