GDT: Selection Show

slufan13

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Irrespective of well intentions, A10 moving up A10 Tourney 1 week really hurt SLU, as did the change of venue to Richmond, VA.

I am so done with this A10 vis-a-vis SLU.

While I’m not ready to advocate SLU moving to the MVC, not yet, the MVC received the same number of NCAA bids as the A10- 2 each. A key attraction of the A10 for SLU was the A10 was supposed to be a multi-bid league. Well, it was today, barely, with 2, the same number as the other 3 conferences in the Group of 4- WCC, MVC and MW. If SLU had been in the Valley, SLU would have likely been IN the NCAA because SLU is better than Drake, and likely would have defeated Drake head to head.

As is, the A10 advanced its Tournament precluding SLU from playing 2 needed games and denying SLU its last chance at a road win against a good team. SLU was also robbed at VCU in the Ted “TV” Valentine delayed “foul” call that literally handed VCU the Win. 

SLU needs to air some significant grievances with the Atlantic 10 Conference. If you don’t speak up, you’ll just keep getting the shaft.

We wouldn’t have the players we have if we were in the Missouri Valley.  Guys who are here may not commit here to play in the Valley.  Ford wouldn’t have come to a Valley team.  So, no, it’s not as simple as if we were in the Valley we would be in.

9 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Illini by 20 

Krutwig has been rumored to be heading to the Illini as a grad transfer. Kofi can get into foul trouble with a mobile big.  I don’t know a senior laden team like Loyola could give the Illini fits.  I ultimately think AYo gets it done for them but it will be a hell of a battle for Illinois.

I wish Loyola had avoided that dreaded 8/9 game. 

Just now, cheeseman said:

Goodwin was good but there are better players out there and I am sure IL may have one.  I am not knocking JG just trying to objective.  

He wouldn’t be Illinois’ best player but Goodwin would be a valuable contributor on their team for sure. 

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

Watching the Illinois game...I don't think we've ever held someone responsible for not delivering the bag to Kofi Cockburn while we were recruiting him.

I think he was insulted by the Aloe Vera in the bag. Honestly I don’t realize it was his name. I’ll own up to it. 

Just now, Lando Griffin said:

Krutwig has been rumored to be heading to the Illini as a grad transfer. Kofi can get into foul trouble with a mobile big.  I don’t know a senior laden team like Loyola could give the Illini fits.  I ultimately think AYo gets it done for them but it will be a hell of a battle for Illinois.

I wish Loyola had avoided that dreaded 8/9 game. 

Illinois’ backup big is better than Krutwig. The talent difference in that matchup would be embarrassing. I feel bad for a good Loyola team. Brutal draw.

1 minute ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Irrespective of well intentions, A10 moving up A10 Tourney 1 week really hurt SLU, as did the change of venue to Richmond, VA.

I am so done with this A10 vis-a-vis SLU.

While I’m not ready to advocate SLU moving to the MVC, not yet, the MVC received the same number of NCAA bids as the A10- 2 each. A key attraction of the A10 for SLU was the A10 was supposed to be a multi-bid league. Well, it was today, barely, with 2, the same number as the other 3 conferences in the Group of 4- WCC, MVC and MW. If SLU had been in the Valley, SLU would have likely been IN the NCAA because SLU is better than Drake, and likely would have defeated Drake head to head.

As is, the A10 advanced its Tournament precluding SLU from playing 2 needed games and denying SLU its last chance at a road win against a good team. SLU was also robbed at VCU in the Ted “TV” Valentine delayed “foul” call that literally handed VCU the Win. 

SLU needs to air some significant grievances with the Atlantic 10 Conference. If you don’t speak up, you’ll just keep getting the shaft.

Yes to all of this!

VCU is always going to be the darling of the A10. We need to be in a conference were we're the premier team. That very well may be the MVC.

9 minutes ago, TaLBErt said:

Wonder how Goodwin is feeling right now with Illinois getting a 1 seed while SLU is on the outside looking in.

Goodwin would have signed with the Illini Groce would have continued to flounder for an additional season or two. The iIllini Rebuilding would have started at least one season later and Goodwin could have possibly played in zero tournament games.

cheeseman and SluSignGuy like this

Just now, NH said:

He wouldn’t be Illinois’ best player but Goodwin would be a valuable contributor on their team for sure. 

Never said he wouldn't but when a player finds themselves not playing as much as they want they often transfer and so who knows if that would not have been what could have happened.  

3 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

No doubt Brenda didn't represent well on the committee.  Sure she is not  supposed  to  show bias, but you can't convince  me the other reps are all straight up the entire time.   She's  a horrible  commissioner  for men's basketball as the league has less respect than ever,

Agree.  The whole idea that you can’t be involved in discussing your conference is impossible.  How do you discuss the last team in without talking about the teams right behind them.  I’m thinking she traded a SLU bid for higher seeds for VCU and Bonaventure.

3 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

We wouldn’t have the players we have if we were in the Missouri Valley.  Guys who are here may not commit here to play in the Valley.  Ford wouldn’t have come to a Valley team.  So, no, it’s not as simple as if we were in the Valley we would be in.

To that end, all the Big East dreaming will sound a lot more plausible if we ever actually won the A10 regular season outside of the Majerus years.

Bizziken likes this

9 minutes ago, ARon said:

I’m torn about that now. Going in to the season and with our talent we should be a 20 NET kinda team.

But the team that couldn’t beat a Hyland-less VCU and that got walked by St. Bonnie......that isn’t a 20 NET team.

Getting walked by the bonnies wasn’t the worst thing.

but that vcu loss was embarrassing 

1 minute ago, BigMouthBilliken said:

French and Goodwin should come back. Gift from NCAA getting extra year eligibility. End on a good note, more fans. Both are not NBA ready.

I hope you are right. But French never will be. So you can’t blame him for getting on with trying to get paid in Europe or Australia.

2010andBeyond likes this

Just now, 2010andBeyond said:

From their career perspectives, I think there would be upside to Goodwin returning but not French. French is probably better off going ahead and starting his overseas career. 

It sounds like their biggest desire is to go together somewhere. One more year at SLU is definitely the most assured way to do that.

8 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

When you devise a system that ranks one team 70 and one 40 but then say the 70 is better is the same as admitting your an idiot. 

You can’t just use the computer system when you are seeding teams that played such a wide range of total games

18 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

The we wouldn’t have the same players is an often made claim. We don’t know one way or the other.

I am not advocating SLU moving to the Valley.

But I have had it with SLU being a Midwestern, Central Time Zone Island in the A-10. The problem is SLU has nowhere better and available to go.

cgeldmacher likes this