GDT: Selection Show

slufan13

I'm a alumnus ('83) and follow this board all the time and appreciate the wisdom of the regular participants (WIZ, you're the best!). I haven't logged in for well over 10 years. I've never been more PO'd than I am this year. One of the best teams we've had in my lifetime and a goofy virus (COVID) and a persistent virus (NCAA) relegates us to the infamous NIT. I'll watch and hope they win the damned thing, but I am truly upset.

Bills71 and slufanskip like this

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

It is one thing they can’t quantify in anyway.  I am sure some losses were forgiven, but they just can’t flat out say that.  Plus, while they can forgive a program because of COVID they can’t give programs credit for things that COVID robbed them of a chance of accomplishing.  So a program like SLU gets a loss or two forgiven, but they can’t give SLU credit for road wins in games that never happened.

I disagree. Dropping (not giving us credit for a win) our 2 post-COVID losses would’ve put our NET in the 20s. We’re solidly in with just that change.

Just now, TaLBErt said:

Because SLU hasn't proved to be a big time program at a better conference would want. Freaking Loyola is passing us by.

It has nothing to do with good programs.  They want eyes, cities and in the end dollars! 

They already have Chicago in DePaul.  SLU and Dayton fill in and stretch them west. 

2 minutes ago, Lando Griffin said:

It has nothing to do with good programs.  They want eyes, cities and in the end dollars! 

They already have Chicago in DePaul.  SLU and Dayton fill in and stretch them west. 

DePaul works on multiple levels. I don’t even know the last time they were even decent.

32 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Sorry they can.  Their defensive style will give them fits.  Tough match up for the Illini with only one day to prepare and I question Underwood as a game coach.

Illini by 20 

2 minutes ago, BilliKat said:

So when do French and Goodwin commit for the additional year and we come back next year to take our rightful place?

Won’t happen but Yuri, Goodwin, Perkins, French, Okoro(?). Would probably be the best starting 5 in the A10 besides Bonna.

4 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Should've done the back to back weekend games.

Irrespective of well intentions, A10 moving up A10 Tourney 1 week really hurt SLU, as did the change of venue to Richmond, VA.

I am so done with this A10 vis-a-vis SLU.

While I’m not ready to advocate SLU moving to the MVC, not yet, the MVC received the same number of NCAA bids as the A10- 2 each. A key attraction of the A10 for SLU was the A10 was supposed to be a multi-bid league. Well, it was today, barely, with 2, the same number as the other 3 conferences in the Group of 4- WCC, MVC and MW. If SLU had been in the Valley, SLU would have likely been IN the NCAA because SLU is better than Drake, and likely would have defeated Drake head to head.

As is, the A10 advanced its Tournament precluding SLU from playing 2 needed games and denying SLU its last chance at a road win against a good team. SLU was also robbed at VCU in the Ted “TV” Valentine delayed “foul” call that literally handed VCU the Win. 

SLU needs to air some significant grievances with the Atlantic 10 Conference. If you don’t speak up, you’ll just keep getting the shaft.

AGB91 and NextYearBill like this

8 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

I disagree. Dropping (not giving us credit for a win) our 2 post-COVID losses would’ve put our NET in the 20s. We’re solidly in with just that change.

I’m torn about that now. Going in to the season and with our talent we should be a 20 NET kinda team.

But the team that couldn’t beat a Hyland-less VCU and that got walked by St. Bonnie......that isn’t a 20 NET team.

pakapablo and TaLBErt like this

12 minutes ago, Lando Griffin said:

11 teams allow them to have a 20 game schedule.  They aren't going to add teams. It's not worth debatimg.

TaLBErt likes this

1 minute ago, Old guy said:

I would think that Goodwin is feeling robbed.

I would think he doesn't give a damn one way or the other and is looking forward to playing the next game.

Pretty certain the Bills were screwed when they laid that turd on the floor in the semi against St. Bonaventure. We were our worst enemy for that performance and paid for it by not getting in the Big Dance. I seem to remember several folks who post on here feeling winning that game was the safest way to ensure playing in the Dance.

2 minutes ago, ARon said:

I’m torn about that now. Going in to the season and with our talent we should be a 20 NET kinda team.

But the team that couldn’t beat a Hyland-less VCU and that got walked by St. Bonnie......that isn’t a 20 NET team.

I see two truths about our season: COVID derailed our season and we were unable to get back on the tracks despite a few opportunities to do so.

1 minute ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Irrespective of well intentions, A10 moving up A10 Tourney 1 week really hurt SLU, as did the change of venue to Richmond, VA.

I am so done with this A10 vis-a-vis SLU.

While I’m not ready to advocate SLU moving to the MVC, not yet, the MVC received the same number of NCAA bids as the A10- 2 each. A key attraction of the A10 for SLU was the A10 was supposed to be a multi-bid league. Well, it was today, barely, with 2, the same number as the other 3 conferences in the Group of 4- WCC, MVC and MW. If SLU had been in the Valley, SLU would have likely been IN the NCAA because SLU is better than Drake, and likely would have defeated Drake head to head.

As is, the A10 advanced its Tournament precluding SLU from playing 2 needed games and denying SLU its last chance at a road win against a good team. SLU was also robbed at VCU in the Ted “TV” Valentine delayed “foul” call that literally handed VCU the Win. 

SLU needs to air some significant grievances with the Atlantic 10 Conference. If you don’t speak up, you’ll just keep getting the shaft.

No doubt Brenda didn't represent well on the committee.  Sure she is not  supposed  to  show bias, but you can't convince  me the other reps are all straight up the entire time.   She's  a horrible  commissioner  for men's basketball as the league has less respect than ever,

cgeldmacher likes this