WBB GDT: vs Richmond; A10 Quarterfinal

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, 3star_recruit said:

Neither did Richmond.

Yeah, but we're the better team and had a nice lead. Just had to take care of the ball and make a few shots. Did neither, were lucky to get to OT. Then played sloppy again. My biggest pet peeve with a team that starts 3 guards. No one takes care of the ball. Too many forced passes in my opinion. Need to take a few more shots, make a few less passes.

8 hours ago, slu72 fan said:

I hate that I spoke about a young woman like that, but her play was intolerable. 

9 hours ago, slu72 fan said:

Martinez played the worst and stupidest game I’ve ever seen. 

Just two really bad posts. did you miss the play to end the first half where she took the ball the length of the court with 8 seconds left and dished it to MST to for a buzzer beater? She wilted at the end of regulation but she’s an outstanding raw PG talent for a sophomore and she showed that early in the game. 

secondly, Why are you classifying your critique of her on court performance by her being a woman? Julia Martinez is a college athlete and a division 1 basketball player who is open to any criticism that a men’s player is. 

52 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Just two really bad posts. did you miss the play to end the first half where she took the ball the length of the court with 8 seconds left and dished it to MST to for a buzzer beater? She wilted at the end of regulation but she’s an outstanding raw PG talent for a sophomore and she showed that early in the game. 

secondly, Why are you classifying your critique of her on court performance by her being a woman? Julia Martinez is a college athlete and a division 1 basketball player who is open to any criticism that a men’s player is. 

Slu72fan has done more for Billiken athletics than you or most posters will ever do. Trying to turn his criticism to some kind of sexism is bush league.  Your right, she is a D1 athlete and she can take some criticism on here that is mild compared to what the men get on here.

billiken_roy likes this

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Slu72fan has done more for Billiken athletics than you or most posters will ever do. Trying to turn his criticism to some kind of sexism is bush league.  Your right, she is a D1 athlete and she can take some criticism on here that is mild compared to what the men get on here.

I wasn’t trying to turn it into sexism and I don’t believe he is sexist, I have no problem with 72fan and have had nice in person encounters. But it bothers me when people act like women’s athletes are beyond on court/field/ice criticism. I’ve met Julia a couple of times, she’s a bad a$$. 

I’ve long been a huge champion of women’s sports on this board and in person at games. I think it’s hugely important for these sports to have the same conversations about the games that we’d have on the men’s side. I believe the more you treat female athletes like any other athletes the more we move women’s sports forward. Is that opinion correct I don’t know. 

I did not mean to come off d!ckish, it just rubbed me the wrong way when I read it just waking up, so I apologize to 72fan

2 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I wasn’t trying to turn it into sexism and I don’t believe he is sexist, I have no problem with 72fan and have had nice in person encounters. But it bothers me when people act like women’s athletes are beyond on court/field/ice criticism. I’ve met Julia a couple of times, she’s a bad a$$. 

I’ve long been a huge champion of women’s sports on this board and in person at games. I think it’s hugely important for these sports to have the same conversations about the games that we’d have on the men’s side. I believe the more you treat female athletes like any other athletes the more we move women’s sports forward. Is that opinion correct I don’t know. 

I did not mean to come off d!ckish, it just rubbed me the wrong way when I read it just waking up, so I apologize to 72fan

Apology not accepted 

13 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

It’s cool.  It was great that you started a GDT for the game.  It is just if you want people to participate like a normal GDT, they can’t be worried their reactions will be took out of context.  The comments in question would have been viewed as nothing in another GDT and should be treated like that.  No on goes gets worked up when someone says “I don’t like to attack the young man like that” in any other game day thread.

I hope we have more GDT threads like yesterday in the future.  I hope more people take part, but that won’t happen if people are on edge about something they post getting blown up into something they never intended.

3 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

True. Martinez effected a good play at the end of the first half.  She also made a couple of key plays during the game.

That said, her six turnovers, most of them brutal, including the final one, where instead of dribbling to the half court, she threw the ball a meter over Brooke and thus came within seconds of terminating the Billiken season, render the critique valid.

The fifth spot in the line up constantly hurts SLU.  If only Clark would get out of the funk and back to her high standard of prior years...

slufanskip likes this

6 minutes ago, Gremio14 said:

True. Martinez effected a good play at the end of the first half.  She also made a couple of key plays during the game.

That said, her six turnovers, most of them brutal, including the final one, where instead of dribbling to the half court, she threw the ball a meter over Brooke and thus came within seconds of terminating the Billiken season, render the critique valid.

The fifth spot in the line up constantly hurts SLU.  If only Clark would get out of the funk and back to her high standard of prior years...

Really seemed like nobody on the team had an idea of time and score. 

slufanskip likes this

I think we walk a fine line in player criticism.  Describing a player as stupid can be construed as insulting them personally rather than a critique of their game.  No doubt all our student athletes are hard working decent people.  If they weren't, they wouldn't be a part of the team anymore.

I believe this is what slu72 was trying to get across in his apology.  Not anything sexist.  We shouldn't be calling any player, male or female stupid.*

*Brett Jolly is exempt from this.  You can call him stupid anytime for any reason.

RUBillsFan likes this

59 minutes ago, brianstl said:

It’s cool.  It was great that you started a GDT for the game.  It is just if you want people to participate like a normal GDT, they can’t be worried their reactions will be took out of context.  The comments in question would have been viewed as nothing in another GDT and should be treated like that.  No on goes gets worked up when someone says “I don’t like to attack the young man like that” in any other game day thread.

I hope we have more GDT threads like yesterday in the future.  I hope more people take part, but that won’t happen if people are on edge about something they post getting blown up into something they never intended.

This is a totally reasonable take.  But on the other hand, have you SEEN some of the GDT that happen on here?  GDTs can devolve into a total sh*tshow if the team isn't playing well and sometimes even when they are.  If anyone is worried about what they post in GDT's at all being taken out of context - this goes for men's basketball, women's basketball, intramural ultimate frisbee, whatever, then they should probably just steer clear.  🤣