Best arguments for Billikens and against other bubble teams?

What are the best available arguments that SLU should be in, and that other bubble teams should be out?

It seems helpful to have a string that puts all of these arguments together in one place.

If you were in a situation similar to the SLU elevator-pitch contest (with a 1-minute time limit), what are the most compelling arguments that can be stated briefly for the Billikens to be in over the others on the bubble?

On Twitter, what's the most compelling way to make SLU's case? This or this or this or something else?

If you were In a longer conversation, what's the most persuasive support for the Billikens and/or against other bubble teams?

What media sites, articles, bracketology prognostications, podcasts, and other sources best help make the case for SLU?

SLU seems to be sitting squarely on the bubble. Other strings focus on the best path (as we watch and wait) or whether an extra game should be scheduled. That still leaves this question: if it's 50/50 now, what's the best case (currently) that the Bills should be in?

What additional points need to be added to tip the balance for the Billikens? Could we assemble a handy list of top five or top ten reasons for SLU to be in?

1.  Drake played no one, and I mean no one, other than Loyola Chicago.  Drake lost twice by double digits to Loyola, once on its home court by 27 points, the other on a neutral court by 10 points.

1a.  Drake's non-conference schedule was an unmitigated joke, filled with cupcakes and cream puffs, the very type of non-conference schedule supposedly frowned upon by the NCAA.

2.  The Mountain West is only the 12th ranked conference.  The Mountain West deserves a maximum of 2 NCAA teams, not 3 and not 4.

3.  Duke is not an NCAA Tournament caliber team.  This assumes Duke is still in contention.  I read that Duke believes its season is over, that it does not expect an NCAA bid.  But beliefs and expectations are not definitive.  Duke has not said its season is over to my knowledge.  Duke is 51 in the NET, still a threat for a bid.

4.  The Big East does not have 4 NCAA worthy teams, only 3.   Seton Hall, St. John's (even if it's located in Jamaica, Queens, New York City, NY and styles itself as New York's team), and Xavier are not NCAA worthy teams.

5a.  Michigan State does not deserve something akin to a Lifetime Achievement Award gift bid.  A team that finished 9-11, even in the Big Ten, with a NET of 67 should be in the NIT, not in the NCAA.

5b.  A 9-11 Big Ten Maryland team is not NCAA caliber either.

20 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

1.  Drake played no one, and I mean no one, other than Loyola Chicago.  Drake lost twice by double digits to Loyola, once on its home court by 27 points, the other on a neutral court by 10 points.

1a.  Drake's non-conference schedule was an unmitigated joke, filled with cupcakes and cream puffs, the very type of non-conference schedule supposedly frowned upon by the NCAA.

2.  The Mountain West is only the 12th ranked conference.  The Mountain West deserves a maximum of 2 NCAA teams, not 3 and not 4.

3.  Duke is not an NCAA Tournament caliber team.  This assumes Duke is still in contention.  I read that Duke believes its season is over, that it does not expect an NCAA bid.  But beliefs and expectations are not definitive.  Duke has not said its season is over to my knowledge.  Duke is 51 in the NET, still a threat for a bid.

4.  The Big East does not have 4 NCAA worthy teams, only 3.   Seton Hall, St. John's (even if it's located in Jamaica, Queens, New York City, NY and styles itself as New York's team), and Xavier are not NCAA worthy teams.

5a.  Michigan State does not deserve something akin to a Lifetime Achievement Award gift bid.  A team that finished 9-11, even in the Big Ten, with a NET of 67 should be in the NIT, not in the NCAA.

5b.  A 9-11 Big Ten Maryland team is not NCAA caliber either.

it's always been my belief that if the ncaa / nit is going to limit the number of berths to their respective tourney's the entries should at least be a 500 team in their conference.   

37 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

On the SLU side, SLU was grounded 33 days by covid quarantine, playing no games from Dec. 24 through January 25, a total of 33 days, was only allowed to practice 3 or 4 days before losing 2 games to Dayton and at LaSalle, upon coming out of quarantine.

SLU was 7-1 and nationally ranked before the covid quarantine. 

This is a weird thread, by a weird poster.

The lead argument is that we had a great non-conference which ended with us ranked. A 30+ day Covid pause, followed by two losses, one of which was to a rival, the other on the road. Take either loss away and we are in. We finished the year playing tournament level basketball. 

No other bubble team has a good excuse for being on the bubble beside simply playing bad, or not trying to find tough competition. Certainly, no one has a more compelling case than SLU.

48 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

it's always been my belief that if the ncaa / nit is going to limit the number of berths to their respective tourney's the entries should at least be a 500 team in their conference.   

It used to de facto be that way for the NCAA, not the NIT.  There is now too much money involved, Roy.  This is the Power 5's party.  We are just looking for a seat at their table.