What if you had to pick a new mascot

bbtds

Let’s just get ahead of this as a fan ban. Can we all agree that the Billiken is quite possibly the first non-binary, non-racial, non-national, non-denominational, non-speciest, non-nonfictional, non-commercial, non-copyrightable mascot which used for representing non-professional professional athletics.

20 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Just a little history on this OP:

He is a Valpo fan, Valpo is changing their Crusader mascot due to pressure concerning the, alleged, less than ideal connotation that goes along with the term "crusader". He showed up when SLU first played valpo years ago and for some reason still pops in from time to time. It's weird to say the least.

Well that makes a lot more sense. Some heated replies for our wandering Crusader. Poor fella. They can just change theirs to Knights or something can’t they?

31 minutes ago, WUH said:

Out of curiosity, when did you first register Billikens.com?

I am guessing the athletics department was using something like http://athletics.slu.edu at the time.

I believe 1998 (could have been 1997).  Still remember handing my mom a check for $70+ dollars at the kitchen table, so I could use her credit card to register the site with Network Solutions (who used to have a monopoly on domain name registrations).  I also own StLouisBasketball.com and BillikenBoard.com as backups.  BillikenBoard.com takes you straight to the message board.

The kicker is SteveRogers.com was available then, but I didn't snag it.

You are right about the SLU Athletic site.  It was on the slu.edu domain.  Very shortly after I bought Billikens.com, SLU bought SLUBillikens.com

Edit: To add to the Billikens.com history, the message board was not on Billikens.com until later.  @davidnark is the founder of this community, way back on a members.aol.com site.  The background for that page was the parquet wood floor, so the current front page is a little hat tip to that.  David moved the board to Rivals.com at about the same time I bought Billikens.com.  The message board was on Rivals.com (at the domain Billikenboard.com) for a few years before Rivals.com went up in the dot com boom.  David and I then met at the Kirkwood Breadco [I think Roy and one other poster were there] where we agreed that the message board would move to Billikens.com.  

8 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

I believe 1998 (could have been 1997).  Still remember handing my mom a check for $70+ dollars at the kitchen table, so I could use her credit card to register the site with Network Solutions (who used to have a monopoly on domain name registrations).  I also own StLouisBasketball.com and BillikenBoard.com as backups.  BillikenBoard.com takes you straight to the message board.

You are right about the SLU Athletic site.  It was on the slu.edu domain.  Very shortly after I bought Billikens.com, SLU bought SLUBillikens.com

Thanks!  That is awesome.

30 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

Edit: To add to the Billikens.com history, the message board was not on Billikens.com until later.  @davidnark is the founder of this community, way back on a members.aol.com site.  The background for that page was the parquet wood floor, so the current front page is a little hat tip to that.  David moved the board to Rivals.com at about the same time I bought Billikens.com.  The message board was on Rivals.com (at the domain Billikenboard.com) for a few years before Rivals.com went up in the dot com boom.  David and I then met at the Kirkwood Breadco [I think Roy and one other poster were there] where we agreed that the message board would move to Billikens.com.  

i was at that meeting!   a red letter day in my life.  🙂 

47 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i was at that meeting!   a red letter day in my life.  🙂 

In other stupid trivia.  Did you know the the Kirkwood Bread-Co we met at was the ORIGINAL Bread-Co/Panera location?  Regrettably it closed when they moved across the street [so they could have a location with a drive through]

1 hour ago, SluSignGuy said:

Good post Steve.  It’s a good read for posters like myself that did not know the history of Billikens.com.

I appreciate all that you and others do for this site.

billikenbill likes this

1 hour ago, SluSignGuy said:

If you are ever offered money by the University to buy the domain Billikens.com, jump on it.  We can all figure out how to get to whatever new site you create.

6 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Good post Steve.  It’s a good read for posters like myself that did not know the history of Billikens.com.

I appreciate all that you and others do for this site.

For those really interested, attached is a paper I wrote my Freshman year of college (2003) about the site, which includes a bit more history.  I suggest skipping to page 4 for actual Billikens.com material.  Forgive the writing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2lkp2hsbp7ugbsd/rogerss-researchpaper-final.doc?dl=0

20 hours ago, SluSignGuy said:

In other stupid trivia.  Did you know the the Kirkwood Bread-Co we met at was the ORIGINAL Bread-Co/Panera location?  Regrettably it closed when they moved across the street [so they could have a location with a drive through]

Not saying you are wrong but I thought the first store was in the loop. Also no longer there.