I like this team next year.

We all love French, but in a way he was always a hot/cold player and in foul trouble constantly. Being undersized as well hurt him a lot. I think Okoro will be an upgrade over French if he is as advertised. Thatch will never replace goodwin, especially the intangibles, but he can score, rebound and be the swiss army knife good enough to be a poor man's goodwin. If Okoro is a French upgrade, and Thatch a slight downgrade, that evens out and puts us right back in the same spot. Plus steps forward for Hargrove, Jimmer and Yuri.  And of course Perkins may be A10 POY.   The season we thought we were going to have this year might be next year...

TaLBErt likes this

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As it stands, Yuri is the only player we have on the roster next year who can consistently create off the dribble.  And that's fine against most teams.  But there's going to be times, like today, where you need to give the ball to a guard who can break down the defense AND carry the team offensively. 

Even if Yuri improves his scoring next year, he will never be that guy.  That's why adding a combo guard in the off-season is so important.

BilliesBy40 likes this

2 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

As it stands, Yuri is the only player we have on the roster next year who can consistently create off the dribble.  And that's fine against most teams.  But there's going to be times, like today, where you can give the ball to a guard who can break down the defense AND carry the team offensively. 

Even if Yuri improves his scoring next year, he will never be that guy.  That's why adding a combo guard in the off-season is so important.

You don't think perkins can create off the dribble? 

Who fills the 3 scholarships will be a big part of how good the team will be.

It appears coach Ford can get some experienced players with Transfers.

I would like to see another point guard signed and given a chance to complete for the starting job, may the best man win.

I think a power forward and a center is needed to.

There are good players coming back but we should always be looking for better.

3 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

You don't think perkins can create off the dribble? 

Yes, but Perkins is a pure scorer.  His natural tendency is to put his head down and force his way to the rim.  He doesn't have the court vision to hit the open man off the dribble when the double team comes.  We need a player who can do both. 

Let Perkins be Perkins and work in tandem with Yuri and a combo guard to be named later.

billikenbill likes this

1 hour ago, mrjoelabs said:

Yea a lot of teams bringing back all their players.

it wasn’t too awesome to hear during the game today that all the Bonnie players are coming back next year.  Hopefully Crutcher doesn’t decide to use his extra year for UD. I know UD has some nice recruits coming in. Don’t know about other rosters in the A10 next year.

Short of Perkins, going to need folks who score.  Perkins can be neutralized with good game planning.  As for scoring, Yuri doesn't.  Fred doesn't.  Hargrove doesn't.  Bell doesn't.  That's a lot of pressure for Okoro to open under.  Right now I'd rank Bonaventure, VCU, and Umass as top three for next year.

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Short of Perkins, going to need folks who score.  Perkins can be neutralized with good game planning.  As for scoring, Yuri doesn't.  Fred doesn't.  Hargrove doesn't.  Bell doesn't.  That's a lot of pressure for Okoro to open under.  Right now I'd rank Bonaventure, VCU, and Umass as top three for next year.

If the last four games haven't shown you that Thatch will score double figures once he's inserted into the starting lineup, I'm not sure what to tell you.  Land a proven combo guard and we should be fine.

11 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

If the last four games haven't shown you that Thatch will score double figures once he's inserted into the starting lineup, I'm not sure what to tell you.  Land a proven combo guard and we should be fine.

I agree.  Thatch and/or Hargrove could see Mo Jeffers type year over year improvement In scoring if asked to do so.

9 hours ago, JettFlight5 said:

I tried the whole optimism thing coming into this year...I think I'm going to restrain myself more with the returning team for next year. 

This. I learned my lesson yesterday. I vow to remain pessimistic at all times so the wins feel like surprises and the losses no big deal. Was optimistic yesterday about beating St.B. Never again.

Zink and Billy Ken like this

@three star:  Thatch may be a scorer but he has not shown me a consistent mid-range shot.  He appears to be Goodwin-lite right now.  Hargrove has shown me a three or a dunk.  And that is all.  Jacobs has shown little consistency.  Collins is Dwayne Polk 2.0 right now.  Jimerson WAS the shooter and died horribly. 
Are you telling me guys will get better because they are in the system another year?  I remember hearing that years ago from kshoe.  My counter to that is French and now Bell —- guys who were/are who they are since they got here.  Maybe we’ll install an offense that is designed for our guys.  That’s on Ford.  Does he change and/or adapt?  Only time will tell.

And that will only be seen in 2022 when the usual crap OOC is done and gone.  No UAPBs.   No Central Arkansas.  No NC A&Ts.

Go with billikenbill —- I think he’s figured it out.  The Billikens: they will always break your heart.

CBFan and billikenbill like this

13 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

As it stands, Yuri is the only player we have on the roster next year who can consistently create off the dribble.  And that's fine against most teams.  But there's going to be times, like today, where you need to give the ball to a guard who can break down the defense AND carry the team offensively. 

Perkins?

2 hours ago, hmart23 said:

Perkins?

Once Perkins attacks the basket, there's a 99% chance he's going up with it.  He has a scorer's mentality so that's what he's supposed to do.  But it's also predictable.  When a combo guard attacks the basket, you don't know what he's going to do with it.   That's the element of surprise we need to add to our offense. 

If one of our existing guys can become more creative on offense, great.  But at the minimum, we should recruit that skillset to ensure we have it.