GDT: vs St. Bonaventure

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

You break even in the NIT. It is not pay to play like the CBI and CIT. 

The NIT is now owned by the NCAA. 

As much as I hate the existence of the NIT, I don’t think teams are allowed to turn it down anymore. 

3 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Over these last years if French had developed a 10 to 15 foot jump shot, Osunniyi would have had to come out and cover him.  Perfect example of French not growing his game.  Now here comes Jimmy Bell.  Think he’ll be any better going forward?

French was a good shot blocker but he never developed an overall offensive game. His FT was awful. He has Zero chance making a NBA roster. I agree with some of these announcers who think he'd have a better chance at making the NFL.

Bills71 likes this

16 minutes ago, ChiBilliken14 said:

It is clear COVID is impacting their ability to bounce back. The lack of effort today could just be exhaustion they can’t do anything about despite their best effort. Brutal way to end the season. 

Frankly, I see no other plausible explanation.  Of course, it’s fun and easy to blame the referees, to blame the head coach, to second guess the talent on this team but our guys just did not have what we have seen them have and do in the past. And today wasn’t 1 or 2 guys though some like to pick on Bell. Frankly, I could pick on every guy who played today.  Over confident?  St Bona that good?  Our guys not motivated?  Ford didn’t game plan and get then ready?   I say No.  our guys just didnt have it physically. 
We all watched JGood and French play 4 straight games in a row only 2 years and both had more energy in that fourth game then they did today. 
COVID-19 sucks

2 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

We clearly don’t have great players, and having great players is more reason not to play in the NIT. It’s not competition playing in a second rate tournament against other sub par teams. Move on.

This is the worst streak for posts from a member since the COVID thread.

AGB91 likes this

1 minute ago, BilliesBy40 said:

There is nothing factual about this. We have no obligation to the NCAA to play more games. 

Just because you don’t want to watch this team doesn’t the guys don’t want to play.

2 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

There is nothing factual about this. We have no obligation to the NCAA to play more games. 

Ya I’m not sure how you couldn’t turn down playing in something that was not figured in. 

5 minutes ago, brownindians said:

Ouch

That is an understatement, lol.

Good luck to your Bonnies and keeping coach Schmidt.

4 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I don’t think Ford was outclassed in the game.  I think he was outclassed in the pregame.  Just what was the game plan?  Go at Osunniyi?  Get him in foul trouble?  Well if that wasn’t it what was it?  

I think the game plan was attack Osunniyi but ended up being poorly executed. SLU needed to hit him in the chest and go up into him, but players seemed to be hesitant and tended to try to create space, which unfortunately played into his preference for blocking shots. 

billiken_roy and Adman like this

4 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I don’t think Ford was outclassed in the game.  I think he was outclassed in the pregame.  Just what was the game plan?  Go at Osunniyi?  Get him in foul trouble?  Well if that wasn’t it what was it?  

I think the game plan was attack Osunniyi but ended up being poorly executed. SLU needed to hit him in the chest and go up into him, but players seemed to be hesitant and tended to try to create space, which unfortunately played into his preference for blocking shots. 

2 minutes ago, Fan Guy said:

Just because you don’t want to watch this team doesn’t the guys don’t want to play.

Agreed. If the players want to play, then play. I doubt that’s the case though (at least in the NIT).

I hope Ford and staff can arrange a game against Drake this week.

If covid is still really hurting us then saying yes to the NIT seems like a bad decision.

I want to keep watching the team play but the hard thing about thr NIT is that I want it to be something our young guys build on. But I also want Goodwin and French to play a lot. I don't think we can have both 

1 minute ago, JettFlight5 said:

https://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentucky-sports/uk-basketball-men/article44411217.html

I know this is a pretty old article, but it's what I based my statement on. 

Thanks for sharing. I’ve seen similar. I question the validity of any perceived requirement, especially this year. Any team with an average attorney could avoid playing given the current environment. Nonetheless, it seems most want to play so whatever.

Just now, JettFlight5 said:

The Bonnies played a great game and deserved to move on...they dominated every facet of the game from the opening tip. Hats off to them...

Yep. Hope they end up with a 7 seed. Not looking forward to playing that same exact team next year that’s for sure