GDT: vs St. Bonaventure

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Fraz said:

Wiz said it’s a coin flip we make it.....

Yeah but the guy flipping the coin assumed the game would be competitive and we’d lose by a bucket or two, not three touchdowns. That coin isn’t coming out of his pocket. 

Our best bet would be for VMI to somehow come back and beat Furman, at least Furman is 75 net I guess it would drop into the 80s with a loss. Then go play at their place. They would have nothing to gain but maybe enough $$$ would do it. The Johnnies punching out Seton Hall helps.

58 minutes ago, ChiBilliken14 said:

I think the game plan was attack Osunniyi but ended up being poorly executed. SLU needed to hit him in the chest and go up into him, but players seemed to be hesitant and tended to try to create space, which unfortunately played into his preference for blocking shots. 

Agreed. Poor execution.
French is closer to 6’6” and the size and reach Osun and the tempo of the game was not favorable. And yes, French lacks a shot outside of 5 feet and nearly all his shots today were blocked or contested but normally French has the athletic ability (quickness, leaping ability, strength) to overcome this - but not tonight. 

Yuri Usually has quick hands to get steals and quick feet to stop dribble penetration but not tonight  As poor as his shooting and scoring was, his defense was worse.

Goodwin usually has the relentless leaping ability to rebound even when not in good position, to somehow come away with the ball and to deflect and intercept passes but not tonight. 
i could go on. A step slow, no spring in their legs, too late to the spot.  Normally not an issue for 20 year olds at the end of the season but these are not normal times. 

12 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Agreed. Poor execution.
French is closer to 6’6” and the size and reach Osun and the tempo of the game was not favorable. And yes, French lacks a shot outside of 5 feet and nearly all his shots today were blocked or contested but normally French has the athletic ability (quickness, leaping ability, strength) to overcome this - but not tonight. 

Yuri Usually has quick hands to get steals and quick feet to stop dribble penetration but not tonight  As poor as his shooting and scoring was, his defense was worse.

Goodwin usually has the relentless leaping ability to rebound even when not in good position, to somehow come away with the ball and to deflect and intercept passes but not tonight. 
i could go on. A step slow, no spring in their legs, too late to the spot.  Normally not an issue for 20 year olds at the end of the season but these are not normal times. 

The fact that Goodwin and French were so adept at playing Bully Ball when we were almost always the shorter team tell a you a lot about the caliber of competitors they are.  We're shocked when the strategy doesn't work.

If Ford coached X’s and O’s as well as he recruited he wouldn’t be at SLU. We split our two games with the league’s best team. He laid an egg tonight and the team couldn’t bail him out. He’s gonna have bad outings, but the players he brings in are going to have enough talent to compete with anyone on a given night and keep us towards the top of the conference.

We’re not going to the NCAAs because we lost the first two games after a lengthy Covid pause. Remove just the La Salle game* and we are probably in. Personally I’m not putting this season on Ford. 

If you want to b itch and moan about coaching/Ford leading the program go ahead, but at least name some HC candidates you think could come in and do a better job vs. taking the low-hanging fruit and commiserating with the trolls.

*or we weren’t jobbed at the end of the VCU game

You win games you lose games. I’ve seen a lot of Billiken wins and I’ve seen a lot of losses. This was a heartbreaking loss. But at the end of the day all I want to focus on is how proud I am of these players. Jordan Goodwin and Hasahn French are absolute warriors. And they deserve all of our respect regardless of how this year turned out. I could not have more respect for them.

I have come to think that Ford is like Matheny was with the Cardinals. Give him talent and he will do just fine but when he comes up against a better manager he will usually not deliver because he gets out managed. Not sure if we will ever have another RM so it is what it is. 

11 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Over these last years if French had developed a 10 to 15 foot jump shot, Osunniyi would have had to come out and cover him.  Perfect example of French not growing his game.  Now here comes Jimmy Bell.  Think he’ll be any better going forward?

Jimmy has tried a few, very few, in his two years here. We've all called for Has to develop this shot but to no avail. He is what he is, and he's not an NBA'er in the making. Ossunyi ate his breakfast, lunch, and dinner last night. How do you think he'd do in the NBA where he'd face guys quicker and stronger than the stick? Tight End might be his best shot at getting paid to play. 

Back to Jimmy. If his FT's are any indication he has a lot more touch/feel on his shot than Has ever dreamed of. If he wants a pro career after SLU, or elsewhere, he would be wise to take your words to heart and practice a turn around jumper from 10-15 ft. We have been described, and rightfully so, as an inside out team. But really in a lot of games it just means the inside becomes a gaggle of bodies trying to prevent us from getting easy baskets. On occasion we kick it out, but far too many times we try and force it from the inside. Plus, since they've scratched plays to get Gibby open, we are not what you'd call a deadly team from the perimeter. Linssen might be wise to take your advice as well. Add that short jumper to his repertoire to open up the inside for back cuts while still keeping the kick out option. If i have one complaint with Travis, it's we've become very predictable on offense. It's too easy for good opposing coaches to design D's to stop us. We saw it against Dayton and, sadly, last night. 

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

Jimmy has tried a few, very few, in his two years here. We've all called for Has to develop this shot but to no avail. He is what he is, and he's not an NBA'er in the making. Ossunyi ate his breakfast, lunch, and dinner last night. How do you think he'd do in the NBA where he'd face guys quicker and stronger than the stick? Tight End might be his best shot at getting paid to play. 

Back to Jimmy. If his FT's are any indication he has a lot more touch/feel on his shot than Has ever dreamed of. If he wants a pro career after SLU, or elsewhere, he would be wise to take your words to heart and practice a turn around jumper from 10-15 ft. We have been described, and rightfully so, as an inside out team. But really in a lot of games it just means the inside becomes a gaggle of bodies trying to prevent us from getting easy baskets. On occasion we kick it out, but far too many times we try and force it from the inside. Plus, since they've scratched plays to get Gibby open, we are not what you'd call a deadly team from the perimeter. Linssen might be wise to take your advice as well. Add that short jumper to his repertoire to open up the inside for back cuts while still keeping the kick out option. If i have one complaint with Travis, it's we've become very predictable on offense. It's too easy for good opposing coaches to design D's to stop us. We saw it against Dayton and, sadly, last night. 

With all due respect, Okoro is the starting center next season.  It will be a much fairer fight against Ossunyi next year.

NextYearBill likes this

9 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

The fact that Goodwin and French were so adept at playing Bully Ball when we were almost always the shorter team tell a you a lot about the caliber of competitors they are.  We're shocked when the strategy doesn't work.

Well to me the shock was watching our proven youngsters not have anything in the tank and no spring in their steps only a day later. Have never seen that before. Trying to figure out why?

I guess our boys were prepared, mentally focused and motivated the day before but Coach Ford forgot to game plan for St Bona and reverted to being poor x’s & o’s coach?

If only we played Hargrove. Oh wait we did, and yes he hit a nice three-pointer but then let his man go to the hoop for a layup  If only we would play Jacobs, oh wait we did and that didn’t help either.  If only Jimerson were in the game and hit some three-pointers, oh wait, he was in the game, he hit many three-pointers but he also was dunked upon as we were blown out of the gym  

Yep, the whole loss is on Bell’s shoulders.  When does he transfer?  Waiting for the post saying if only we had Diarra and/or Hankton instead. We kept the wrong one?  We need a head coach to evaluate talent.

Bully Ball and good defense played yesterday?  Sorry, I miss that game. Instead I was watching Saint Louis play St. Bonaventure.  Yes, I remember Bully Ball. I remember watching defensive swarms and our coming away with steals, tip balls and rebounds resulting in fast breaks. Wonder how many we had yesterday?  I remember our defense creating our offense of opportunities.  I don’t remember our fast tempo being started by quick shots after the other team makes a basket  Then again, I am getting older and my memory may just not be the same.

Who will be our coach next year?  I hear his house was up for sale.  Why can we not play 11?  Sure hope we find good transfers bc all our guys suck.  

44 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Well to me the shock was watching our proven youngsters not have anything in the tank and no spring in their steps only a day later. Have never seen that before. Trying to figure out why?

I guess our boys were prepared, mentally focused and motivated the day before but Coach Ford forgot to game plan for St Bona and reverted to being poor x’s & o’s coach?

If only we played Hargrove. Oh wait we did, and yes he hit a nice three-pointer but then let his man go to the hoop for a layup  If only we would play Jacobs, oh wait we did and that didn’t help either.  If only Jimerson were in the game and hit some three-pointers, oh wait, he was in the game, he hit many three-pointers but he also was dunked upon as we were blown out of the gym  

Yep, the whole loss is on Bell’s shoulders.  When does he transfer?  Waiting for the post saying if only we had Diarra and/or Hankton instead. We kept the wrong one?  We need a head coach to evaluate talent.

Bully Ball and good defense played yesterday?  Sorry, I miss that game. Instead I was watching Saint Louis play St. Bonaventure.  Yes, I remember Bully Ball. I remember watching defensive swarms and our coming away with steals, tip balls and rebounds resulting in fast breaks. Wonder how many we had yesterday?  I remember our defense creating our offense of opportunities.  I don’t remember our fast tempo being started by quick shots after the other team makes a basket  Then again, I am getting older and my memory may just not be the same.

Who will be our coach next year?  I hear his house was up for sale.  Why can we not play 11?  Sure hope we find good transfers bc all our guys suck.  

I think this is sarcasm.  Pretty good summation of this thread.  Bottom line, the entire team had a bad game.   Both the beauty and heartbreak of being a fan of a "high" mid major college basketball team is every game means so much.  One or two bad ones really hurt.  

2 hours ago, brownindians said:

WOW you dedicated Billiken fans are blaming your Coach??  We just call it pay-backs. 

Our rivalry has been intense over the years. It will be sad to see SLU move to the MVC next season. 

Best of Health

Thanks. 
How is the weather this week for your lemonade stand to raise the needed money to retain you head coach? Actually hope you do  

And yes, enjoy the rivalry. Peace.

On 3/7/2021 at 7:52 AM, cheeseman said:

I have come to think that Ford is like Matheny was with the Cardinals. Give him talent and he will do just fine but when he comes up against a better manager he will usually not deliver because he gets out managed. Not sure if we will ever have another RM so it is what it is. 

Don’t insult Ford. 

Littlebill likes this