GDT: vs St. Bonaventure

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ESPN has SLU by 2 with 53.2% confidence. 
maybe I’m an optimist but I’m saying we’ll do better than that. 
gibby finds his (confidence) shot- sets new career high. 

I think Travis needs to be not so tight with the bench. If you're going to play Bell 11 minutes, you can play TJ 10 minutes. I'd also like to see Ford throw multiple guys at Lofton: Collins, Thatch, and Jacobs. Lofton basically never comes out of the game. Bonnies are essentially a 6-man team not built to play consecutive days. Osun is the best defender in the conference and the key to their elite D (24th in the country). They need to get him in foul trouble or occupy him so he's not holding a lid on the rim.

They are a very good 3-pt shooting team. Let Osun get his inside. 

Bottom line: we're deeper and better and Perkins needs to score 20. Let's go! 

23 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

I think Travis needs to be not so tight with the bench. If you're going to play Bell 11 minutes, you can play TJ 10 minutes. I'd also like to see Ford throw multiple guys at Lofton: Collins, Thatch, and Jacobs. Lofton basically never comes out of the game. Bonnies are essentially a 6-man team not built to play consecutive days. Osun is the best defender in the conference and the key to their elite D (24th in the country). They need to get him in foul trouble or occupy him so he's not holding a lid on the rim.

I’m interested to see the strategy today. Bell isn’t a great matchup today. Does he start a big guard, like thatch today? He makes more sense, but wouldn’t hurt to keep w what’s working

1 minute ago, gobillsgo said:

Hope we come out ready to play today... would love to see Gibson find his stroke again

Oh it’s happening. Gibby finds his shot with confidence today. 

I've watched the replay of the SLU-Bonnies season-ending game from last year a bunch of times since then. You have basically the same two teams from last year playing. Weaver is missing for us and we've added Thatch, Planutis is missing for them and they've added Adaway. Not much difference in the lineups then. I'm always the "not optimistic guy" about my team's fortunes, and I'm reluctant to say this, but I think we're better than the Bonnies. Now, St.B missed a lot of makeable shots in that game a year ago so under normal circumstances a 23 pt. win is more likely a 9 pt. win. I still think if we play smart and keep turnovers in the no more than 15-18% of possessions range, we're winning this game.

49 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

Bottom line for me, I don't care about the bench.  I want to win.  Play 5 or play 10, I don't care.  Score more points than the Bonnies.

The Bonnies remain a five-man team.  They might get 5 or 10 minutes from Vasquez or Shaw but that's it.  They run no direct offense for Osunniyi and his offensive game is suspect outside of lobs, dunks and putbacks.  He's no Hasahn French or Tre Mitchell where he has to touch the ball on a majority of offensive possessions.  He will egt his blocks and rebounds but that alone won't win the game.  Kyle Lofton is shooting much better coming down the stretch.  Coming into our game with them on February 6, he was shooting like 3-for-19 from three at that point.  Since then he's gone 11-for-34 ---- not the greatest but much better.  Cannot let him get that groove on as well.  Otherwise, Lofton is a Crutcher clone .... driving and putting up in-the-lane runners and the like.  As he goes, so go the Bonnies.  Jaren English/Holmes went off for 38 against St. Joes and then followed with 26 against Fortdham.  Yeah ---- I'm suspecting it was the competition.  Since then, hi shigh has been a 19-point game but he also poste dgames of 0, 4 and 8.  He's good enough to post low teens.  om Welch is really their Gibson Jimerson and does combine well with English/Holmes to shoot the three.  But both are very streaky and foul trouble (much like Holmes against us) can kill them.  Let's see which refs show up tonight on that account.  I really like Jalen Adaway and what he brings roaming the baseline while everyone watches the shooters and Osunniyi.  He's sneaky quick and skys real well.  If nothign else, they are balanced but extremely short in terms of manpower.  Ought to be interesting to say the least.

Personally, I don't really think they are in with their body of work ...... but they did win the truncated league this year so I guess that's good enough.  Other than the A10, they have only played Kent State and Hofstra.  And in the truncated A10, they lost at Rhode Island, at SLU, at VCU and then at home in closing against schizophrenic Dayton.  I like our chances providing we play on all cylinders.

35 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

I've watched the replay of the SLU-Bonnies season-ending game from last year a bunch of times since then. You have basically the same two teams from last year playing. Weaver is missing for us and we've added Thatch, Planutis is missing for them and they've added Adaway. Not much difference in the lineups then. I'm always the "not optimistic guy" about my team's fortunes, and I'm reluctant to say this, but I think we're better than the Bonnies. Now, St.B missed a lot of makeable shots in that game a year ago so under normal circumstances a 23 pt. win is more likely a 9 pt. win. I still think if we play smart and keep turnovers in the no more than 15-18% of possessions range, we're winning this game.

https://watchstadium.com/videos/st-bonaventure-at-saint-louis-mens-basketball-3-7-2020-2/

9 minutes ago, Minerva N. Owl said:

If you want some fun, watch this from the 39-40 minute mark. Lob from Yuri to TJ and the Has' French Rejection to midcourt and one of the best tip follows by JGood you'll ever see.

BJK likes this

47 minutes ago, BilliKat said:

Oh it’s happening. Gibby finds his shot with confidence today. 

Gobills and Kat, Gibson ain't going to find his shot if the seniors don't pass him the ball when he is standing wide open.  Watching the past 4-5 games they have gone out of their way to not include him in the offense.. That being the case, then I agree with TF's current sub pattern of giving GJ minimal, if any, minutes.  I know his %s are down but at least some of that is due to his rushing shots when he would get the ball.  What we are doing is working since FT and JG are shooting better from outside so in the short term we might be playing better.

dennis_w likes this

3 hours ago, NextYearBill said:

everybody do exactly what they did yesterday... if you were at work, go to work today

I'll be there, missing both halves on TV instead of just the first half. Nothing I can do about it. Can't wear the same clothes either so it's with sincere apologies that I can't do my part. Someone do the same things twice to make up for my absence. 🙂