Did the Atlantic 10 Miss the Boat?

11 minutes ago, thetorch said:

NewsFlash -The A10 is a poorly run conference.

imo they seem to be just drifting in the ocean with no clear route forward.   they have done nothing to improve.    

34 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

This chart shows the A10 the next to last conference in % of conference games played.  Looks like the Valley(s) got something right.

What about Evansville game against us?  Or I guess this would mean they made that game up with someone else.

19 minutes ago, wgstl said:

What about Evansville game against us?  Or I guess this would mean they made that game up with someone else.

If we were to play Evansville, I know he won’t appear in person, but would someone make a cardboard cut out of Jim Crews and make sure he is wearing Evansville purple and not Billiken Blue!

I think a lot of it has to do with the size of the cities in which the School plays.

Bigger cities have gotten hit harder than smaller ones. 
So it’s much more likely for a team from St. Louis, Philadelphia, or New York to be shut down that it is a team from Springfield, Peoria, or Evansville.

Disclaimer: No research was put into this post. Just wild speculation.

Geographically, it probably not fair to compare the MVC numbers with the A10.  For example, UMass is not allowed to host a game because of COVID.

I am not sure if any other state in the north east had similar protocols that caused games to be canceled.

I do not like the A10 since Butler; Xavier and Temple moved on so I am not trying to defend the A10 but I want to be fair.

The majority of the schools that got most of their conference games in are in the Midwest and South.

dlarry likes this

5 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I think a lot of it has to do with the size of the cities in which the School plays.

Bigger cities have gotten hit harder than smaller ones. 
So it’s much more likely for a team from St. Louis, Philadelphia, or New York to be shut down that it is a team from Springfield, Peoria, or Evansville.

Disclaimer: No research was put into this post. Just wild speculation.

idk man, looks like you did do your research when comparing which of those cities are bigger. 

This chart is bad on the surface because it doesn't take into account that many leagues delayed their whole season a long period, therefore having less "scheduled" games. For example the Patriot League was not really even playing till February. Look at the MEAC. Only 48 games scheduled? Most of those teams didn't even get on the court for conference play till February as the MEAC had a near full conference shutdown. 

26 minutes ago, wgstl said:

idk man, looks like you did do your research when comparing which of those cities are bigger. 

17 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

I looked up the population of each city and can confirm that he is correct.

I took a grade school geography class in 1993 so I know what I’m taking about.

wgstl likes this

We will soon find out, but I never felt that moving the tourney up a week, except for the final game, was going to do anything but sacrifice some conference games.  If one of the two final teams comes up + during this Richmond stay, 10 days or 14 days, pick your quarantine period, puts them out of the final game.

2 minutes ago, dlarry said:

7....give or take 5.

only if you dont count the monasteries 

The Division II GLVC lost a lot of games due to Covid-19 protocols with schools located in major metropolises such as Bolivar, Kirksville, Lebanon, Quincy, Rolla, Romeoville and so on.  Chalk it up to bad luck, not geography.

3 hours ago, JMM28 said:

And just like that, the MVC cancels a tournament game (unofficially so far.) UNI had a covid positive somehow. 

No, it was canceled by the City of St. Louis Board of Health.  

“However, the City of St. Louis Board of Health Department COVID orders take precedence over MVC protocols, and none of our institutions were aware that this was in place. In all prior communication we had with St. Louis’ local health authorities, we had clearly indicated that the MVC adhered to CDC guidelines and NCAA Resocialization Guidelines.” said MVC Commissioner Doug Elgin in a statement.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/northern-iowa-drake-game-at-mvc-tournament-cancelled/article_d2079af3-579f-5f35-ba6e-846352e10a50.html

16 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

No, it was canceled by the City of St. Louis Board of Health.  

“However, the City of St. Louis Board of Health Department COVID orders take precedence over MVC protocols, and none of our institutions were aware that this was in place. In all prior communication we had with St. Louis’ local health authorities, we had clearly indicated that the MVC adhered to CDC guidelines and NCAA Resocialization Guidelines.” said MVC Commissioner Doug Elgin in a statement.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/northern-iowa-drake-game-at-mvc-tournament-cancelled/article_d2079af3-579f-5f35-ba6e-846352e10a50.html

The MVC cancelled their tournament game.