Transfers - 2021

ACE

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

If you look at it from some distance, not looking at the details, this season is profiling itself as one of those "Ready or Not, Here We Come..." type of things.

With school starting so soon I am beginning to think there won’t be anymore signings even though the coach talked about signing another big.

Anyone coming now would be so far behind how much could they help?

If the team stays healthy my belief is that this will be a special team.

I think this team will score a lot and they will need to because rebounds could be an issue.

Looking at Verbal Commits Transfer page, there are too many players to count who have not found a new home. Even if their list is 50% accurate there are a lot of players still in the scramble. 
I don’t really know what is going on or how this will shake out. 

4 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Looking at Verbal Commits Transfer page, there are too many players to count who have not found a new home. Even if their list is 50% accurate there are a lot of players still in the scramble. 

Maybe the getting paid part being added to the equation is slowing some last minute decisions.

4 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I need to start looking at that site because I did not realize there were a lot of players still available.

Does this happen every year?

25 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I'm not sure Verbal Commits is picking up on guys who've transferred from DI down to DII or gone to a JUCO, so 50% accurate for the remaining players may be a stretch.  Verbal Commits is just aggregating information from other sources so if there hasn't been any news on a guy, they'll have him as still "available" regardless of whether he's found a new school.

Edit: Of course, if a guy hasn't signed a financial aid agreement at his chosen destination I assume he can always change his mind.  Therefore, guys who are currently planning on going DII or JUCO may still be "available" for SLU.

i believe either we find a sure fire unbelievable player that obviously is starter material or we find a guy that wants to practice coming to get his degree, but realizes his abilities will limit game time.   

since coach ford uses pretty much an 8 man rotation for games, we really dont need another player for games.   save it for the midseason transfer that might come available or use it next year.   

im just not worried about the open spots.

willie, A10Ref, bauman and 1 other like this

VC actually does a pretty good job of capturing the transfer market, even those going down to or coming up from other divisions.

In terms of whether it's "normal" to have this many available players in early August, the short answer is no. With over 1700 transfers this season, it's by far an all-time high. The rule giving players another year of eligibility due to the pandemic is another factor. I'm not sure whether the ratio of available players to overall transfers is similar to other seasons on this date, but it doesn't really matter because the number of D-I schools has only gone up by a few and the number of players available is what matters.

I'm still not ruling out 1-2 more players for SLU. We've shown the ability to get a transfer within a short window from initial recruitment to signing.

CBFan and HoosierPal like this

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

VC actually does a pretty good job of capturing the transfer market, even those going down to or coming up from other divisions.

In terms of whether it's "normal" to have this many available players in early August, the short answer is no. With over 1700 transfers this season, it's by far an all-time high. The rule giving players another year of eligibility due to the pandemic is another factor. I'm not sure whether the ratio of available players to overall transfers is similar to other seasons on this date, but it doesn't really matter because the number of D-I schools has only gone up by a few and the number of players available is what matters.

I'm still not ruling out 1-2 more players for SLU. We've shown the ability to get a transfer within a short window from initial recruitment to signing.

But totally foreseeable.  We commented on this board within a month of seasons end, that hundreds of average mid-major players announcing their intention to transfer wasn't going to work out.  There's only so many places for those kids to go.

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

If I'm reading between the lines here it sounds like Pistol is telling us all to expect two 4 star quality transfers. This is great news! 

HoosierPal and slufanskip like this

I wouldn't be surprised if we got a kid in the next two weeks out of nowhere... We just finished up summer practices and I believe there is a little down time right now. Down time for the players, but this is the time for Ford to do what he does best.

Here are two reasons I don’t think they’re done adding players:

1. They haven’t updated the roster listed on the website yet. I believe that usually happens in July during the summer session.

2. The Sports Information Department has never announced the additions of Nesbitt, Williams and Jones. I’m guessing they will send out a release announcing the addition of all of the transfers once they finalize the roster.

7 hours ago, 68Alum said:

I'm an out-of-town Alum who doesn't see the local news flow. Who is on the current roster for the coming season? Thanks

Verbal commits is a good resource until the official roster is updated: https://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/saint-louis

Classes in parenthesis do not account for extra COVID year

PG - Yuri Collins (Jr)

PG - DeAndre Jones (Sr) - transfer from Central Arkansas

G - Jordan Nesbitt (Fr) - transfer from Memphis / St. Louis Christian

G - Fred Thatch (RSJr)

G - Gibson Jimerson (RSSo) 

G - Rashad Williams (Sr)

G/F - Markhi Strickland (So)

G/F - TJ Hargrove (Jr)

G/F - Javonte Perkins (Sr)

F - Andre Lortentsson (So)

F - Francis Okoro (RSJr) - transfer from Oregon

F - Marten Linssen (RSSr)

Perkins doesn't count against scholarship limit because he is returning for his extra COVID year, so we have 2 spots available.

Reinert310 likes this

1 hour ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Here are two reasons I don’t think they’re done adding players:

1. They haven’t updated the roster listed on the website yet. I believe that usually happens in July during the summer session.

2. The Sports Information Department has never announced the additions of Nesbitt, Williams and Jones. I’m guessing they will send out a release announcing the addition of all of the transfers once they finalize the roster.

or our Athletic Dept and Sports Information dept is not on the ball.  

By my count, thewre are about 67 guys on Verbal Commits all 6'9" or taller without schools at thsi point.  There is also a boatload of guys at 6'8.  Problem is former schools are the ilk of Wagner, NC Central, Norfolk State, etc.  But if you are just looking for someone to give practice time and roster depth, do you just take a flyer?

I think there is someone out there, in the pipeline, and I think it is a JUCO while we wait on grades.