Transfers - 2021

ACE

The new strategy is to "stay old".  Baylor had the oldest roster in the tournament last year.   Calipari's 1 and done model isn't working.   We saw that hit other programs that copied Cal, Duke etc.  

So SLU can stay old too.   Recruit 1 or 2 HS then get transfers like Bess, Okoro etc.  No more rebuilding, less development.   Maybe it'll work for Ford.  So far we've been right on the cusp of success. 

Or you can zig instead of zag and try to go all HS and develop over a few years for that window, then rebuild.   In that strategy you gotta protect from your good players transferring out. 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

What about the high major kid that is forced to transfer down to make room for the poached mid-major player?  He has to go somewhere.  And there are lots of 4 ppg high major guys that transfer down and become high performing mid-major starters.  Happens all the time.

I get that.  I just still don't like the idea of losing our better players and replacing them with ones that the power conferences didn't want.

willie likes this

Today the NCAA handed out a bunch of waivers to players transferring for the third time. One was heading to his 4th school. 
Pretty much confirms Williams needs a waiver. 
Doesn’t seem that the NCAA has a problem granting them to multi-transfers. 

On 7/20/2021 at 9:04 PM, WVBilliken said:

This guy must be a backup plan.  Classes start in what?, 4 or 5 weeks?  Got to believe something has to break soon.  Two scholarships still open .... 

Malik Lamin to announce tomorrow.  Will he be the newest Billiken?

If Verbal Commits is to be believed, he has offers from us, Grambling and Mississippi Valley State.  Now, I'm biased, but who from that group would you choose from?

Hi A Bomb, this is from one of your posts 7/23, about a week ago: "Maybe it'll work for Ford.  So far we've been right on the cusp of success."

I think that if last season had been a regular season, no virus stuff just regular play, we would have had great success. You really cannot compare different methods of recruiting when you have a major extraneous factor (the virus) messing up the season. We had a great team last year, they played very well during the non conference part of the season, then we were stopped from playing for a long time due to the virus. We never played that well for the rest of the season. I think we will miss Jimmy Bell's contribution this season.

Billiken Rich likes this

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

If Verbal Commits is to be believed, he has offers from us, Grambling and Mississippi Valley State.  Now, I'm biased, but who from that group would you choose from?

He could play with Carte’are at Grambling.

AGB91 likes this

9 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

What time is this happening?

I was just about to ask that. I just started following him on Twitter. Nothing yet

16 hours ago, 757billiken said:

I’m honestly not disappointed. I trust the staff and their evaluations but he seems a huge drop off from our other 2 bigs. I know it’s just depth but if we have an injury to 1 of the other 2 or foul trouble he plays a lot

Besides I think we quit recruiting him

52 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I’m honestly not disappointed. I trust the staff and their evaluations but he seems a huge drop off from our other 2 bigs. I know it’s just depth but if we have an injury to 1 of the other 2 or foul trouble he plays a lot

Besides I think we quit recruiting him

And don’t forget he is a tool also.

billiken_roy likes this

Academic calendar for 21-22 starts Wednesday August 25.  Twenty days out.  Right now we have twelve guys on the schollie roster with one (Perkins) getting a COVID pass.  Does that mean we have room fro two more?  And if so, are there any eyes on the horizon seeing things?  I know Ford said he was signing a big soon but that seems to have passed with Lamin to Grambling.

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

Academic calendar for 21-22 starts Wednesday August 25.  Twenty days out.  Right now we have twelve guys on the schollie roster with one (Perkins) getting a COVID pass.  Does that mean we have room fro two more?  And if so, are there any eyes on the horizon seeing things?  I know Ford said he was signing a big soon but that seems to have passed with Lamin to Grambling.

I have seen on the website that lists the top 144 teams that if you look at where the top players in high school are going to play. There are a couple on that list that have not signed and I wonder why?

I think there are still some players looking for a place to play that are late qualifiers that our coach is waiting for.

On the recruiting 2021 player list SLU had an interest in a German player that hasn’t had an offer.

2021 has been the strangest year yet with the transfers.

As Jack Buck would say in games the Cardinals we’re losing late in the game, “it’s getting late”.

hope all the Nesbitt optimism ends up justified. not that it is direct correlation but my feeling is that if Hargrove doesn't start and we don't make the dance we have failed. Guess I will surely feel that way if they both start and no dancing. We are due.

On 8/5/2021 at 10:09 AM, CBFan said:

I have seen on the website that lists the top 144 teams that if you look at where the top players in high school are going to play. There are a couple on that list that have not signed and I wonder why?

I think there are still some players looking for a place to play that are late qualifiers that our coach is waiting for.

On the recruiting 2021 player list SLU had an interest in a German player that hasn’t had an offer.

2021 has been the strangest year yet with the transfers.

As Jack Buck would say in games the Cardinals we’re losing late in the game, “it’s getting late”.

If you look at it from some distance, not looking at the details, this season is profiling itself as one of those "Ready or Not, Here We Come..." type of things.