Transfers - 2021

ACE

55 minutes ago, NH said:

What am I missing on this guy? Almost no interest out of high school. Two low major offers in JUCO. Didn’t start for his JUCO team and averaged 3.6 ppg. Non shooter.

It’s very rare for a 6’10” 230 lb player to slip through the cracks so I’d be surprised if this was the exception. Personally would prefer a Rashed Anthony one year type who only plays when Okoro/Linssen have serious foul trouble or in case of emergency.

You're not missing anything.  You either use the scholarship or lose it.  Even if his main job would be to match up against Okoro in practice, there's value in that.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, bauman said:

Congrats RUBills, on the first use of cromulent on Billikens.com.  Using it in a sentence, "Jimmerson is not a cromulent spelling of GJ's last name."

I wish I could claim that honor, but the search function tells me @White Pelican deserves belated congratulations for being the first to use it in a post back in 2016:

I think a developmental big makes sense. Try him out for a year, if it doesn't work out, move on. They gave Madani a look and then he moved on. Maybe after a year of practice, he develops and you have a legit prospect. So even if we sign him, we would have one more available scholarship, correct?

dennis_w likes this

52 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

You're not missing anything.  You either use the scholarship or lose it.  Even if his main job would be to match up against Okoro in practice, there's value in that.

I am not sure where we will stand on available scholarships but I think you should always have one for the mid season transfer. 

Nigel John is another JUCO to add to the interest list.  The 6'9 center had verbally committed to Utah State but reopened his recruitment in May. Averaged 9.5 ppg, 8.1 rpg and 1.9 blocks at Eastern Oklahoma CC.  He closed out his season really strong as he averaged over his last 6 games 13.8 ppg, 10.2 rpg and 3.2 blocks.  He was home schooled in high school and played on a home school team that played in the Texas's Christian athletic association. 

Pistol likes this

31 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

This guy must be a backup plan.  Classes start in what?, 4 or 5 weeks?  Got to believe something has to break soon.  Two scholarships still open .... 

From what I see he's a solid defender and rebounder/shot blocker. Transferred senior year of high school to Shadow Mountain (Arizona) coached at the time by NBA vet Mike Bibby. They played the top high school teams in the nation. If Lamin was a decent enough big man to be recruited by that program, he'll can be a solid backup at SLU.

19 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

This guy must be a backup plan.  Classes start in what?, 4 or 5 weeks?  Got to believe something has to break soon.  Two scholarships still open .... 

My guess is that any 2021 kid we get at this point is going to be a backup to a certain extent. I don’t see any potential 2021 big men taking significant time from Okoro or Linssen. I don’t see any potential 2021 guards taking time from Yuri or Nesbit or TJ or Jimerson ect. But I think there’s still value in filling at least 1 of the available scholarships, just in case. 

A developmental shot-blocking big makes sense to add for this season. I always like having a shot-blocker among the bigs. I like JBell, but he didn't add that element. Both he and Linnsen are below the basket bigs, so a bit redundant. Now, we have a chance to add a big who brings something different.

Zink likes this

unless it is a difference maker or unless it is a senior willing to be an enthusiastic practice player with a great attitude, i couldnt care less if we fill the spots this year.   Ford wont play them.  save them.   particularly with the new transfer rules.   when a player of substance becomes available, we want the ability to grab them and promise them time.   

Old guy likes this

49 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

unless it is a difference maker or unless it is a senior willing to be an enthusiastic practice player with a great attitude, i couldnt care less if we fill the spots this year.   Ford wont play them.  save them.   particularly with the new transfer rules.   when a player of substance becomes available, we want the ability to grab them and promise them time.   

This article feeds the comment from Mr. Roy.  Recruiting HS players has changed.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/how-new-ncaa-transfer-rules-have-coaches-changing-the-way-they-recruit-high-school-prospects/

"We're going to end up probably taking half as many high school prospects as we would've taken before," he said. "Over a period of four years, in the past, we might've taken three or four high school players a year on average. Now it's going to be one or two."

That's a sentiment I heard from countless coaches over the weekend -- their point being that it'll rarely be sensible going forward to sign high school prospects early who don't figure to play for you as freshmen because you can probably find somebody better in the transfer portal, and now that players are allowed to transfer without sitting out a season, there's a decent chance you'll spend a year developing a limited-role freshman only to lose him after that year to a school that offers more playing time.

"I actually told my staff that I think we have to look at this differently because it's a different time," Capel said. "With this transfer portal, if a kid can't come in and have an impact [immediately], and if he's not realistic in understanding that, then you're setting yourself, and him, up for a transfer."

SLU_Nick likes this

54 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I am totally in agreement with this. As I have said before you need at least one for a midterm transfer. 

Ah, as a good lawyer would say, that gives rise to the question of "what constitutes a difference maker?"  

Sometimes I think people underestimate how important it is to have players in practice who will push your starters to get better.  If the starters don't need to go all out in practice, they won't.  That's human nature.  It is hard to push yourself every day to do things that you don't appear to need to do.  Much easier to get better when there is someone in practice pushing you, forcing you, to get better.  You need depth that will push the starters.  If the coaches can find a kid who's going to come in and push one of the starters, particularly one of our bigs, I say take him - whether he's an in-game difference maker or not.  Sometime I think French suffered from not having a big who forced him to deal with a shot-blocker in practice.  It is tough to suddenly have to develop that ability in a game if you haven't developed it in practice.

Trust in Ford.  He knows whether adding a player will help the team, or any particular player on the team, or not.  

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

The only thing that worries me would be if Linssen or Okoro got hurt for any substantial length of time. Our post depth isn’t the same without Jimmy Bell. But on the surface, I agree with Roy here. But having a guy we could turn to in worst case scenario would be nice.

48 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

The only thing that worries me would be if Linssen or Okoro got hurt for any substantial length of time. Our post depth isn’t the same without Jimmy Bell. But on the surface, I agree with Roy here. But having a guy we could turn to in worst case scenario would be nice.

I don’t put much stock in him, but maybe it will be improvement from Lorentson, who definitely brings something different. The best I have seen from him was the 5 seconds in the video a month ago. We will see, he looked stiff running the court last year.

Reinert310 likes this

12 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I don’t put much stock in him, but maybe it will be improvement from Lorentson, who definitely brings something different. The best I have seen from him was the 5 seconds in the video a month ago. We will see, he looked stiff running the court last year.

That may be the case. I give Lorentsson a little bit of a pass for last season. It was already gonna be a crazy year, and it was made even crazier for him because of his student visa situation and getting on campus so late. I’m not sure I expect him to regularly play big minutes this year, but I’m not ready to call him a total bust either, especially if he can shoot as advertised. 

billiken_roy likes this

What concerns me about the new rules is P5 teams will reduce the number of HS recruits, which, on the surface, appears to be a plus for mids. However, if a mid lands a kid who would have sat on the bench his FR year at a P5 and gets minutes with the mid and does well, the portal allows the P5 to come after him. So, in effect, the Mid Majors become a minor league for the Majors. 

19 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

This article feeds the comment from Mr. Roy.  Recruiting HS players has changed.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/how-new-ncaa-transfer-rules-have-coaches-changing-the-way-they-recruit-high-school-prospects/

"We're going to end up probably taking half as many high school prospects as we would've taken before," he said. "Over a period of four years, in the past, we might've taken three or four high school players a year on average. Now it's going to be one or two."

That's a sentiment I heard from countless coaches over the weekend -- their point being that it'll rarely be sensible going forward to sign high school prospects early who don't figure to play for you as freshmen because you can probably find somebody better in the transfer portal, and now that players are allowed to transfer without sitting out a season, there's a decent chance you'll spend a year developing a limited-role freshman only to lose him after that year to a school that offers more playing time.

"I actually told my staff that I think we have to look at this differently because it's a different time," Capel said. "With this transfer portal, if a kid can't come in and have an impact [immediately], and if he's not realistic in understanding that, then you're setting yourself, and him, up for a transfer."

This is confirmation of what many of us have been saying about the free transfer rule being bad for mid majors like SLU.  This coach is basically saying that he will recruit fewer high school players, because he is counting on being able to pick up good players that have been developed at other schools like SLU.  Programs like ours will have to take the risk that a high school kid will pan out our not, then the ones that do will have some level of likelihood of being poached by a power conference school.

24 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

This is confirmation of what many of us have been saying about the free transfer rule being bad for mid majors like SLU.  This coach is basically saying that he will recruit fewer high school players, because he is counting on being able to pick up good players that have been developed at other schools like SLU.  Programs like ours will have to take the risk that a high school kid will pan out our not, then the ones that do will have some level of likelihood of being poached by a power conference school.

What about the high major kid that is forced to transfer down to make room for the poached mid-major player?  He has to go somewhere.  And there are lots of 4 ppg high major guys that transfer down and become high performing mid-major starters.  Happens all the time.

BilliesBy40 and Littlebill like this

4 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

What about the high major kid that is forced to transfer down to make room for the poached mid-major player?  He has to go somewhere.  And there are lots of 4 ppg high major guys that transfer down and become high performing mid-major starters.  Happens all the time.

This is actually far more common than the the mid-major player moving up and being the star at the high major program.

billiken_roy likes this

6 minutes ago, brianstl said:

This is actually far more common than the the mid-major player moving up and being the star at the high major program.

Okoro and Bess are perfect examples.

billiken_roy likes this