Transfers - 2021

ACE

2 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Also, I would think Phillips should be able to pronounce his name from doing it during the Bragging Rights games.

Never underestimate the stupidity or the lack of interest and professionalism of Guy  "correction" Phillips.......

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

I wonder if SLU might be interested in this guy, but he may be more of a wing than a PF.

Hes had a very interesting career, and if im not mistaken, he carriers a lot of baggage(?)

14 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Hes had a very interesting career, and if im not mistaken, he carriers a lot of baggage(?)

I think he's a lessor Jevonte Perkins. Obviously would take a scorer for competition the very least, but I would prefer more of a PF/C.

Coach314 likes this

Seneca Knight from San Jose State might be one to keep an eye on. Was committed to LSU but reopened his recruitment. More of a wing but at 6-7 could guard a 4 in the A10. Big-time scorer. Phil Forte follows him on Twitter. 2 years of eligibility left.

33 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

Alonzo Verge to Nebraska. I know there wasn’t much on him for a few months, but committed out of the blue today. 

That's interesting.  Nebraska has like 19 players on their roster for this upcoming season.  Some may be 5th year seniors and some may be walk-on's, but they may need to get some extra chairs for the bench. The Huskers are picked to be bad again; likely no NCAA for Verge and company.

I think at least one SLU coach will be in attendance for the JUCO Advocate 48 this weekend in Florida. JUCO Advocate has common ownership with VerbalCommits. Scroll through the JA Twitter feed for an idea of which players will be there (I'm trying to find a complete list in one place but haven't found one yet). If SLU intends to use another scholarship this season, there are some immediately available players there.

brianstl likes this

Presumably Jones would be a backup for Yuri, which is a role I was hoping Williams/Nesbitt would be able to fill. 

I am very bullish on both Jimerson and Thatch this season, but both of them struggle with ballhandling, so it's not totally shocking the staff would want another guy who can take pressure off Yuri. 

3 minutes ago, NH said:

Presumably Jones would be a backup for Yuri, which is a role I was hoping Williams/Nesbitt would be able to fill. 

I am very bullish on both Jimerson and Thatch this season, but both of them struggle with ballhandling, so it's not totally shocking the staff would want another guy who can take pressure off Yuri. 

Jones would be the 13th scholarship player. Only 5 players can play at a time. I think it's more like Jones would the backup to the backup.

RUBillsFan likes this

13 minutes ago, NH said:

I really like Fred Thatch. Glad he is a part of Team Blue and think he is an important part of the team and can play a significant role coming off the bench, but I am not bullish on Thatch...

Thatch prides himself on defense (which is a great attribute), but in my opinion, he fouls way too much to be effective. Also, he has not done near enough to prove to me that he can be a dependable offensive threat/"scorer."

I have been advocating the need for a backup PG for Yuri, so I am very much in favor of adding this type of player. His season was cut short last year, but he averaged 6 apg as  a junior and 5 apg as a sophomore. Good stopgap, fills a need for a year. Get it done.

22 minutes ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

I really like Fred Thatch. Glad he is a part of Team Blue and think he is an important part of the team and can play a significant role coming off the bench, but I am not bullish on Thatch...

Thatch prides himself on defense (which is a great attribute), but in my opinion, he fouls way too much to be effective. Also, he has not done near enough to prove to me that he can be a dependable offensive threat/"scorer."

I think Thatch was significantly better at the end of the year, and the reasons for that are obvious and have already been discussed on this board ad nauseum. This is a big year for Fred to prove himself, but after everything he’s been through, I’m nowhere near ready to give up on him. 

in terms of Jones, he may very well take over the role Russell played last year. But I wouldn’t be too concerned on him taking minutes from anybody. In the end, if he does come to SLU, the best players are gonna play. We had 2 open scholarships. It doesn’t have to mean anything more than that. I’m not trying to talk trash on Jones, but realistically, we all know how deep and talented we are at guard. 

Deandre Jones averaged 4 turnovers to 3.7 assists last year. I remember thinking that he would be a tough player if he wasn’t out of control the whole time. Not sure how you coach that out of a senior in 1 year. Even when he had 6 assists, he had 3.5 turnovers. He is fast, he just may or may not play at that speed with the ball in his hands.

More on Jones, he shot over 80% from the free throw line all four seasons - a valuable skill to have in a guard when you are trying to ice a game in the final couple of minutes. Also, a 38% 3-point shooter for his career bringing an element from the PG position that Yuri has not been able to provide yet. It just gives us a different look at that position when YC needs a break. And, Yuri did get hurt last season, so we need insurance in case that happens again.

49 minutes ago, ACE said:

More on Jones, he shot over 80% from the free throw line all four seasons - a valuable skill to have in a guard when you are trying to ice a game in the final couple of minutes. Also, a 38% 3-point shooter for his career bringing an element from the PG position that Yuri has not been able to provide yet. It just gives us a different look at that position when YC needs a break. And, Yuri did get hurt last season, so we need insurance in case that happens again.

If he is only going to be a 1 year player, the only downsides to brining in a guy like Jones would be:

1. Opportunity cost of using the scholarship on some better - we're very late in the game and still have another scholarship since Perkins doesn't count against the total, so this shouldn't really be a factor.
  2. Chemistry issues if he is a malcontent - presumably the staff has done their homework on a guy before making an offer and if he did cause problems letting go of an end of the bench guy isn't a big deal.

Looking at the raw #s it appears that Jones 9* game sample in 20-21 was kind of rough (30.3% from 2 and more TOs than assists) with the lone bright spot being his outside shooting (52.5% from 3).  Without digging deeper it appears as though he plateaued or regressed compared to his previous 2 seasons (less PPG, more TOs, less assists).  Big caveat is that Central Arkansas played a brutal non-conference slate.  All but 1 of Jones 9* games in 20-21 were non-conference games - Memphis, AR Little Rock, SLU, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Miss St, Champion Christian, Baylor, and McNeese State.  That strength of opponent on average is tremendously tougher than the average he faced in previous full seasons and likely tougher than anything he'd face at SLU on average.

* technically he played in 10 games, but according to the game log he had 0 minutes in the 10th game.  I assume he got hurt very early in the game and I'm not going to count that one.

2 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

The guy who turned it over 7 times against us?

He also scored 22 against us his sophomore season.

He scored 33 against Sam Houston State his junior season, so obviously Forte has some familiarity and I suspect that's a big factor with the interest.