Transfers - 2021

ACE

6 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Two time transfers being immediately eligible isn't a done deal yet.  Per Jon Rothstein:

The latest on immediate eligibility for two-time transfers
Waivers are coming — again!

According to a source, the Division 1 Council will meet next week to discuss the necessary criteria for two-time transfers to gain immediate eligibility in all sports through the waiver process.

Why is this so significant?

Players like James Akinjo (Baylor), Rasir Bolton (Iowa State), and Liam Robbins (Vanderbilt) are all two-time transfers of note that would require a waiver to play immediately next season without sitting out.

This would apply to both undergraduate and graduate transfers.

The result of this discussion impacts Rashad Williams (and Aaron Cook should he transfer).

I commented on this weeks ago.  More "in the know" posters shot it down as false.

HoosierPal likes this

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That’s not the way I read it.  These new guidelines, which seem wishy-washy with threat to health and needs of student not available at current school, apply to 2022-2023 transfer going into effect in January 2022.  That does nothing for guys wanting to tip in November 2021.  That’s Williams.  So he is covered under current rules which say a two-time transfer needs a waiver for the upcoming season to be eligible this year.  That’s what I see.

so to me, it adds a waiver request step into it for Williams.  I got the old grad transfer stuff and thought that made sense.  Graduate, go to a school that has the grad program you want not available at current school, play out 5th year.  I also get the current one-time, no questions asked undergrad transfer rule.  No issues.  But you need to stem it somewhere and put some rules in or it could be open free agency every year.

And since we are the Billikens, there will be problems for Williams ..... I can feel it.

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

That’s not the way I read it.  These new guidelines, which seem wishy-washy with threat to health and needs of student not available at current school, apply to 2022-2023 transfer going into effect in January 2022.  That does nothing for guys wanting to tip in November 2021.  That’s Williams.  So he is covered under current rules which say a two-time transfer needs a waiver for the upcoming season to be eligible this year.  That’s what I see.

so to me, it adds a waiver request step into it for Williams.  I got the old grad transfer stuff and thought that made sense.  Graduate, go to a school that has the grad program you want not available at current school, play out 5th year.  I also get the current one-time, no questions asked undergrad transfer rule.  No issues.  But you need to stem it somewhere and put some rules in or it could be open free agency every year.

And since we are the Billikens, there will be problems for Williams ..... I can feel it.

Yes. It clearly says it starts in 2022-2023. Current rules apply for 2021-2022

@ skip ---- up above, if current rules apply for this year, I read that to mean a second time transfer needs a waiver.  Yes?  No?  The release is unclear as can be.  Williams is a two-time transfer.  He used up his freebie and now needs a secondary waiver.  I'd appreciate anyone weighing in on this.

7 hours ago, Taj79 said:

@ skip ---- up above, if current rules apply for this year, I read that to mean a second time transfer needs a waiver.  Yes?  No?  The release is unclear as can be.  Williams is a two-time transfer.  He used up his freebie and now needs a secondary waiver.  I'd appreciate anyone weighing in on this.

The language is pretty clear.  The new waiver guidelines are for the 2022-23 season:

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/di-council-adjusts-transfer-waiver-guidelines

The new guidelines will take effect for student-athletes in January 2022, for those who would be requesting a transfer waiver to compete immediately in 2022-23. Current guidelines will apply for student-athletes seeking a waiver to compete in 2021-22.

-------

The question is what criteria will the NCAA use to grant a waiver for 2021-22?  Sounds like they are still figuring that part out:

The current postgraduate transfer waiver process remains in place, and the working group will continue to examine the most appropriate way to address student-athletes who have transferred, graduate and wish to continue their eligibility at another school.

24 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

All of which means Williams needs a waiver for this year, yes?

Yes.  The NCAA is still in the process of deciding what constitutes a valid waiver request for this season.  Its all kabuki, IMO.  If they decide to only allow second transfers for players who are Michael Bolton fans all second transfers will express their undying love for Michael Bolton.

17 hours ago, ACE said:

There's our combo guard. A better version of Isabell.

I've seen Verge only described as a shooting guard, NOT a combo guard.  Can he effectively play as a point guard for extended periods of time?  If not, I'd pass on Verge.

26 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Yes.  The NCAA is still in the process of deciding what constitutes a valid waiver request for this season.  Its all kabuki, IMO.  If they decide to only allow second transfers for players who are Michael Bolton fans all second transfers will express their undying love for Michael Bolton.

“When a maaaaan loves a woman...”

SLU_Nick likes this

53 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

I've seen Verge only described as a shooting guard, NOT a combo guard.  Can he effectively play as a point guard for extended periods of time?  If not, I'd pass on Verge.

Verge averaged 14 points and about 4 rebounds and 4 assists in a better conference than the A10. What’s not to like?

41 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

Verge averaged 14 points and about 4 rebounds and 4 assists in a better conference than the A10. What’s not to like?

Like him a lot.  But SLU seems to be in need of a backup PG.  

And both Verge and Williams are described similarly, ball dominate shooting guards.

Does it seem to anybody else like the number of transfer commitments has slowed down significantly? Is that just because all the “top transfers” went early, and now teams are trying to sift through all the rest of the names? There are still tons of names left in the portal. How soon do you guys think the commitments will start flowing again?