Transfers - 2021

ACE

11 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Not all 1600 are senior or COVID+ transfers.  1600 players are transferring out meaning 1600 openings exist on current NCAA rosters.  It has nothing to do with seniors given an extra year.  

10 hours ago, JMM28 said:

You fail to count all the NLIs already signed that took those senior spots. That leaves a lot less than 1600 spots. It’s closer to 900. 

I don't know the number, but by definition ANY senior that has already played four years and is in the transfer portal is talking away a spot of someone else. Could be a high school kid or it could be a transfer.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

It's a buyers market.  Now that the choice transfer targets have been snatched up, schools can take months sorting through the leftovers.

Thank you 3 star

Currently, counting walk-ons, the Billikens have 16 players on their roster.  Thirteen is/was the scholarship limit.  The 16 includes two walk-ons, Hightower and Courtney, one returning senior in Perkins, and two undecideds in Goodwin and French.  It also includes two signees in Williams ands Nesbitt.  And if the NCAA is to be believed, everybody rotates back a year or stays stagnant ... Jimerson, Strickland and Lorentsson are freshmen, as is Nesbitt.  

Now, I don't know how all this roster math is going to playout, but that is a lot of bodies to climb over for playing time if I am an incoming freshman.  And this is the case up and down college basketball.  Five-star recruits are going to five star programs.  Five star transfers will also go to five star programs.  Lesser programs will see their POYs and ROYs opt out and transfer up to P6 programs.  Which seems to indicate a quasi-minor league system developing whereby some high school kids get to go to schools like High Point, Ball State, Duquesne, Fordham, Mason, etc. all with the hope of blossoming and then using the one-time transfer option to upgrade.  

I think old guy is right, that thehigh school kids are the ones suffering the most.  That Nunez kid we jkust lost out to East Tennessee State on, his coach went on Twitter and told the NCAA coaches willign to listen to get their head out of the trasnfer portal arse. thatthere are a lot of good high school kids still out there.  But I can see coaches evaluating transfers against more proven competition and going from there for the most part.  I'd still like to sign the Ola Ajiboye kid but will hewant to com ein and be #17 on the depth chart?  That's the real hurdle.  

Seems like by all indications, the 2021 high school recruits are just getting screwed.  

Like I suspect is happening with other teams, we do not need a 2021 recruiting class. We already have Strickland, Lorensttsen, Nesbitt and Jimerson (!) in that class.  

12 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

Seems like by all indications, the 2021 high school recruits are just getting screwed.  

Like I suspect is happening with other teams, we do not need a 2021 recruiting class. We already have Strickland, Lorensttsen, Nesbitt and Jimerson (!) in that class.  

Unranked 2021 recruits are getting screwed.  Virtually everyone in the top 300 has signed, excluding the one-and-doners who are waiting for the last possible minute.  Same thing that's happening in the portal.  The top guys were quickly taken off the market.  Hundreds of other guys are just spinning their wheels, waiting for schools to make offers.

8 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

Zero reason we should be going after high school kids. I assume prep schools are licking their chops and they'll get a chance to prove themselves there. Also, the JUCO pipeline will grow. The solid players will find their place in the end as they always do.

@A10Ref --- we have never been a haven for JUCO players.  Someone smarter than me can explain why:  I've always been told that the reason is that a lot of JUCO degrees do not translate well into SLU degrees.  You have to have 12 transferable credit hours per semester played to qualify.  That's either 24 or 48 hours.  An then they must transfer into a SLU degree program.  This was why, I was told, a lot of these JUCO kids with PE majors at JUCO can't be target here.  I will gladly stand corrected if that is not the case.

Currently, we have one guy on the roster with a pedigree in the JUCO ranks.  Namely Javonte Perkins.  Over the years, our JUCO recruits have included Perkins, Aaron Hines 9who was a walk-on), Josh Hightower (another walk-on), Barry Eberhardt and Va'shun Newborne and that goes all the way back to 2005-06.  That's two guys who were contributors overall in about 15 years.  And that's over four coaches in Soderberg, Majerus, [dead] and Ford.  

I just don't see it as a viable route for us.  Four-year transfers and grad transfers (Bess, Foreman, Isabell, Wiley, Barnett, Bryant, Weaver, Linssen, and now WIlliams) have been markedly better.

We can hope ---- Perkins breaks the standard and usual.

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

@A10Ref --- we have never been a haven for JUCO players.  Someone smarter than me can explain why:  I've always been told that the reason is that a lot of JUCO degrees do not translate well into SLU degrees.  You have to have 12 transferable credit hours per semester played to qualify.  That's either 24 or 48 hours.  An then they must transfer into a SLU degree program.  This was why, I was told, a lot of these JUCO kids with PE majors at JUCO can't be target here.  I will gladly stand corrected if that is not the case.

Currently, we have one guy on the roster with a pedigree in the JUCO ranks.  Namely Javonte Perkins.  Over the years, our JUCO recruits have included Perkins, Aaron Hines 9who was a walk-on), Josh Hightower (another walk-on), Barry Eberhardt and Va'shun Newborne and that goes all the way back to 2005-06.  That's two guys who were contributors overall in about 15 years.  And that's over four coaches in Soderberg, Majerus, [dead] and Ford.  

I just don't see it as a viable route for us.  Four-year transfers and grad transfers (Bess, Foreman, Isabell, Wiley, Barnett, Bryant, Weaver, Linssen, and now WIlliams) have been markedly better.

Spoon had a pretty good record with JUCO's. Love and Jeffers most notably. 

CBFan likes this

2 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

was dobbs a juco? he is one of my all time favorites

yes donnie dobbs went to indian hills if i remember correctly.   and i believe carl turner, david robinson son and donnie campbell were also all jucos on that great highmark, claggett waldman team.  someone please correct if wrong.

nope looked it up.  donnie dobbs southeastern community college.   

should know better google is your friend not your old losing it memory.

Sure, Spoon used that trail better than most but Spoon was gone in 1998.  My list only went back 15 years and even that is ancient enough history which tells me that five JUCOs in 15 years averages out to one every three years and the results are like 40% on the good side.   And most of that is all Perkins.  I'd be willing to bet the private, mid-majors all lie in the same battlefield trench ---- no majors to accommodate JUCO AA degrees.  

7 hours ago, Taj79 said:

David Burns, the best JUCO in my memory.

AGB91 likes this

14 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Sure, Spoon used that trail better than most but Spoon was gone in 1998.  My list only went back 15 years and even that is ancient enough history which tells me that five JUCOs in 15 years averages out to one every three years and the results are like 40% on the good side.   And most of that is all Perkins.  I'd be willing to bet the private, mid-majors all lie in the same battlefield trench ---- no majors to accommodate JUCO AA degrees.  

I think you're on to something.  VCU and Dayton haven't exactly been landing juco studs either.

Kelvin Henderson as well.  Let's see .... since 1980 (40 years or so), ten best SLU JUCO players???  No particular order.  I'll go:

David Burns, Kelvin Henderson, Justin Love, Maurice Jeffers, Javonte Perkins, Donnie Dobbs, Charlie Newberry, David Robinson, Carvin Norman, and Everne Carr.

Ten best transfers:  Javon Bess, Tramaine Isabell, Reggie Bryant, Jim Roder, DJ Foreman, Jamal Johnson, H Waldman, Kevin Footes, Francis Okoro, and Martin Linssen.

@3-star:  actually, I was thinking the Big East teams like Nova, Seton Hall, Butler, Marquette.  I don't think Dayton has a PE major but could be wrong.  They might have 'Parks & Rec.'  VCU is a big public university, I'd be willing to bet ....... however, neither coach or recent past coaches have used the JUCO ranks to recruit to either school.

Upon quick review, yes, neither YouDee nor VCU offer PE degrees.  There are some other 'fluff' categories but I trhink the key would then be trying to make your JUCO 'fluff' fit into the four-year 'fluff.'  And I use 'fluff' jokingly/  Please, no one take offense.

Names of SLU interest in the portal, updated. Current school in parentheses, followed by next year's class status and expected remaining eligibility, including COVID bonus year.

Joseph Reece (Old Dominion) is going to Bowling Green and Foster Loyer (Michigan State) is going to Davidson. They have been removed from the list.

Had an offer from SLU at some point:
-John Bol Ajak (Syracuse) - Freshman, 4 Years
-Madut Akec (South Florida) - Junior, 3 Years
-Myles Baker (Central Connecticut State) - Junior, 3 Years
-Dudley Blackwell (Iowa State) - Sophomore, 4 Years

-Kobe Elvis (DePaul) - Sophomore, 4 Years - Hearing from Clemson, Dayton, Drake, VCU, Georgia, Iowa State, TCU, Colorado, Cal, Boston College, Colorado State, Grand Canyon. May also return to DePaul.
-Jalen Johnson (Mississippi State) - Grad Transfer, 1 Year
-Goodnews Kpegeol (Valparaiso) - Junior, 3 Years
-Dusan Mahorcic (Illinois State) - Senior, 2 Years - Finalists: Texas, Virginia Tech, Penn State, BYU. Deciding Friday, 5/14.
-Mickey Pearson (TCU) - Sophomore, 4 Years
-Jared Ridder (Missouri State) - Senior, 2 Years
-Dallas Watson (Saint Peter's) - Senior, 2 Years

Had SLU interest at some point:
-Jeron Artest (UC-Irvine) - Junior, 3 Years
-Lenell Henry (Prairie View A&M) - Grad Transfer, 1 Year - Hearing from IUPUI, Incarnate Word.
-Rashad Weekly-McDaniels (Central Michigan) - Sophomore, 4 Years - Hearing from JUCOs.

Others that have been contacted by SLU:
-Aaron Cook (Gonzaga) - Grad Transfer, 1 Year

Please let me know if I'm missing anyone.

Two time transfers being immediately eligible isn't a done deal yet.  Per Jon Rothstein:

The latest on immediate eligibility for two-time transfers
Waivers are coming — again!

According to a source, the Division 1 Council will meet next week to discuss the necessary criteria for two-time transfers to gain immediate eligibility in all sports through the waiver process.

Why is this so significant?

Players like James Akinjo (Baylor), Rasir Bolton (Iowa State), and Liam Robbins (Vanderbilt) are all two-time transfers of note that would require a waiver to play immediately next season without sitting out.

This would apply to both undergraduate and graduate transfers.

The result of this discussion impacts Rashad Williams (and Aaron Cook should he transfer).

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Two time transfers being immediately eligible isn't a done deal yet.  Per Jon Rothstein:

The latest on immediate eligibility for two-time transfers
Waivers are coming — again!

According to a source, the Division 1 Council will meet next week to discuss the necessary criteria for two-time transfers to gain immediate eligibility in all sports through the waiver process.

Why is this so significant?

Players like James Akinjo (Baylor), Rasir Bolton (Iowa State), and Liam Robbins (Vanderbilt) are all two-time transfers of note that would require a waiver to play immediately next season without sitting out.

This would apply to both undergraduate and graduate transfers.

The result of this discussion impacts Rashad Williams (and Aaron Cook should he transfer).

This seems like a normal NCAA f..up. Announce everyone can have a free transfer without sitting a year, and then after many players actually transfer, say whoaaa. We may decide you need a waiver and you might have to sit.

2 hours ago, slufanskip said:

This seems like a normal NCAA f..up. Announce everyone can have a free transfer without sitting a year, and then after many players actually transfer, say whoaaa. We may decide you need a waiver and you might have to sit.

I will agree that the NCAA messing up is just another day at the office.

However, they did not announce all transfers are free and clear.  I posted this during the Cook transfer discussion, and will post it again, from the NCAA.org website.  OneTime_Transfer.pdf (ncaa.org)  

Prior Transfers

Q3: What if a student-athlete previously transferred from a four-year school and would like to transfer again

A3: Generally, a student-athlete who has previously transferred from another four-year school would not qualify for the one-time exception. There is an additional exception to this application if their previous transfer was due to the discontinuation or nonsponsorship of their sport at their original school.

Just guessing here but I would not be surprised if the NCAA caves on this and allows a free for all for the upcoming season.  How many 2x transfers have already been signed that didn't read the fine print?  I don't know but the NCAA (my guess) doesn't want to go down the waiver pathway again.  Q13 discusses post graduate transfers, again.