Transfers - 2021

ACE

8 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

Also curious if this impacts Rashad Williams. Obviously not a grad transfer, but he has transferred once before. Is he eligible for the immediate transfer?

I have no idea.  But if you read the ESPN article it specifically says if an athlete has already use a one-time exception for a transfer as an undergraduate, the athlete is not automatically eligible as a graduate transfer. 

To me that makes no sense.  I interpret this to say if you are an undergrad, you can transfer to your heart's content, but if you are a Graduate Transfer who has already transfered you have to get a waiver. 

My reading is that this would not effect Williams.  His bio he has only been in college three years.  Definitely looking for help from a MBM, with a source of information.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I have no idea.  But if you read the ESPN article it specifically says if an athlete has already use a one-time exception for a transfer as an undergraduate, the athlete is not automatically eligible as a graduate transfer. 

To me that makes no sense.  I interpret this to say if you are an undergrad, you can transfer to your heart's content, but if you are a Graduate Transfer who has already transfered you have to get a waiver. 

My reading is that this would not effect Williams.  His bio he has only been in college three years.  Definitely looking for help from a MBM, with a source of information.

I think we might have an issue with Williams... I think Cook, if he comes, should be fine. Grad transfers have transferred in the past immediately even if they've transferred before. I have no idea though...

1 hour ago, Clock_Tower said:

So another 2 guard without a strong perimeter shot playing next to a PG without a perimeter shot?

You have a legitimate concern.  Cook, with his career 34% from 3, can at least force defenses to defend him on the perimeter.  And he would give us someone else besides Yuri to create for himself and others off the dribble.  

slufanskip likes this

15 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

You have a legitimate concern.  Cook, with his career 34% from 3, can at least force defenses to defend him on the perimeter.  And he would give us someone else besides Yuri to create for himself and others off the dribble.  

I also think Yuri plays through more injuries than possibly any Bill i can remember. Seems like every game he gets more taped up on his hands from sprained wrists, thumbs, etc... I think Yuri will improve his shot over this summer, and I expect him to improve to above 30% from 3 this coming year.

52 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

I think we might have an issue with Williams... I think Cook, if he comes, should be fine. Grad transfers have transferred in the past immediately even if they've transferred before. I have no idea though...

45 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Yep, see Isabell, Tramaine.

That was before this new rule.  Again, I am confused with the ESPN article.  My reading is that Williams is clear.  My reading is that Cook would have to get a waiver.  

Need one of those FACT CHECKERS.

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I hope you are right, but why wouldn't that specific issue be spelled out? 

My reading is that the NCAA hasn't put out anything for the 2022 season transfers, but they know they have to.  They don't want to go back to the waiver ClusterFk.

MORE:  I just read this article on ESPN's website.  https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/31353578/ncaa-1-transfer-rule-clears-last-step-starts-2021-22-academic-year

Last paragraph:  Now, if an athlete has already use a one-time exception for a transfer as an undergraduate, the athlete is not automatically eligible as a graduate transfer. Athletes can still apply for a waiver to become eligible under certain circumstances.

I'm confused.

The net effect is all players will be allowed a one-time transfer without sitting, regardless of when they use it. In other words, a player who transfers without sitting as a Sophomore won't be able to transfer again without sitting as a grad transfer (unless they obtain a waiver).

25 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

Well NCAA just extended Emmert, so who knows what logical lapses can happen

This isn't really a logical lapse. This is a new rule that goes into effect next season. For this season, everyone is given a 1 time transfer due to COVID, even players that have already transferred before.

1 hour ago, kshoe said:

This isn't really a logical lapse. This is a new rule that goes into effect next season. For this season, everyone is given a 1 time transfer due to COVID, even players that have already transferred before.

If that is correct then we could lose FO and ML.  You seem very certain of your interpretation of the rule.  I'm curious to know if you have a cite to support it..  I'll grant you it is confusing, but I haven't  read anything that clearly states what you say.

I referred to the possibility of FO and ML being able to transfer since that seems to be where some olf the confusion occurs, but, of course, all the rest of our players who have never transferred e.g. TJH, GJ, YC, could also leave SLU at this point and/or in the future.

10 minutes ago, bauman said:

If that is correct then we could lose FO and ML.  You seem very certain of your interpretation of the rule.  I'm curious to know if you have a cite to support it..  I'll grant you it is confusing, but I haven't  read anything that clearly states what you say.

I referred to the possibility of FO and ML being able to transfer since that seems to be where some olf the confusion occurs, but, of course, all the rest of our players who have never transferred e.g. TJH, GJ, YC, could also leave SLU at this point and/or in the future.

It starts with the 2021-2022 academic year. The NCAA already granted a transfer waiver for this offseason and granted another year of eligibility for individuals who played during the 2020-2021 academic year.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligibility_center/Transfer/OneTime_Transfer.pdf

@kshoe please send me a link that gives me your interpretation.  You are very solid in your information, and I respect your posts.  Not trying to be difficult here, I'm reading this at face value. This is from the NCAA. This is effective for 2021-22 enrollment. Notifications of entering the transfer portal have to be made by July 1, 2021.   I'll admit I am not the brightest guy on this board.  I hope I am wrong and you are right, but please, again, send me a link or how I am misreading the Q&A.   

Postgraduate Transfer Eligibility Q12: What criteria does a student-athlete who has graduated with their baccalaureate degree need to meet to be eligible as postgraduate student at another Division I school?

A12:A student-athlete who graduates with remaining athletics eligibility may be eligible as a full-time postgraduate student at another Division I school provided they meet the one-time exception criteria, including providing a written request to enter the NCAA Transfer Portal to their current school by July 1, 2021.

Q13: What if the student-athlete transferred previously from another four-year school as an undergraduate student?

A13: Generally, a student-athlete who has previously transferred from another four-year school would not be able to use the one-time exception as a postgraduate transfer. However, a waiver process exists for postgraduate students with a previous transfer history

7 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligibility_center/Transfer/OneTime_Transfer.pdf

@kshoe please send me a link that gives me your interpretation.  Not trying to be difficult here, I'm reading this at face value. This is from the NCAA. This is effective for 2021-22 enrollment. Notifications of entering the transfer portal have to be made by July 1, 2021.   I'll admit I am not the brightest guy on this board.  I hope I am wrong and you are right, but please, again, send me a link.   

Postgraduate Transfer Eligibility Q12: What criteria does a student-athlete who has graduated with their baccalaureate degree need to meet to be eligible as postgraduate student at another Division I school?

A12:A student-athlete who graduates with remaining athletics eligibility may be eligible as a full-time postgraduate student at another Division I school provided they meet the one-time exception criteria, including providing a written request to enter the NCAA Transfer Portal to their current school by July 1, 2021.

Q13: What if the student-athlete transferred previously from another four-year school as an undergraduate student?

A13: Generally, a student-athlete who has previously transferred from another four-year school would not be able to use the one-time exception as a postgraduate transfer. However, a waiver process exists for postgraduate students with a previous transfer history

Grad students would not use the one-time exception.  They would use the existing waiver process.  See this explanation pre-COVID:

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/what-know-about-division-i-transfers

Are there different rules for graduate students?

Yes. After they have graduated, Division I student-athletes in all sports can use their remaining eligibility at a new school, provided they meet the graduate one-time transfer exception requirements or qualify for a waiver at the time of full-time enrollment, including enrollment in a graduate degree program.

6 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

The 2 seasons he shot 3 or more 3’s a game he shot 35 and 38 % not a great volume but enough volume and success to feel confident he can shoot it well enough to keep defenses honest

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Grad students would not use the one-time exception.  They would use the existing waiver process.  See this explanation pre-COVID:

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/what-know-about-division-i-transfers

Are there different rules for graduate students?

Yes. After they have graduated, Division I student-athletes in all sports can use their remaining eligibility at a new school, provided they meet the graduate one-time transfer exception requirements or qualify for a waiver at the time of full-time enrollment, including enrollment in a graduate degree program.

The link is from Aug 2019. NCAA issued a new the rule this  week. 

On 4/28/2021 at 12:12 PM, 3star_recruit said:

Sure, I'm a realist.  You don't get top 60 players to come to mid-majors without the strong implication that they'll be starting next year.  Or in your example, that a player will get a lot of minutes at a certain position.

What's your thoughts on Strickland?  Do you think he cracks the rotation this year?

2 hours ago, Coach314 said:

What's your thoughts on Strickland?  Do you think he cracks the rotation this year?

I know this question was directed at 3star, but Strickland strikes me as a guy who could be a major player on this team. He has a blend of size, basketball genetics, and athleticism that doesn’t come around very often at SLU. I truly think he is going to blossom the next two seasons into a very good player in midtown. 

BilliesBy40, Zink and HenryB like this

11 hours ago, johnbj14 said:

I know this question was directed at 3star, but Strickland strikes me as a guy who could be a major player on this team. He has a blend of size, basketball genetics, and athleticism that doesn’t come around very often at SLU. I truly think he is going to blossom the next two seasons into a very good player in midtown. 

hope you're right. all those qualities similar to Yarbrough's.