Transfers - 2021

ACE

22 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

If you don't believe that Tramaine Isabel was promised s starting role I think you're naive.  Coaches offer starting roles to priority players all the time.

Would you be ok if Nesbitt was promised the majority of his minutes in the backcourt with Yuri?  Not saying that was the case ...just asking your thoughts 

CBFan likes this

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Coach314 said:

Would you be ok if Nesbitt was promised the majority of his minutes in the backcourt with Yuri?  Not saying that was the case ...just asking your thoughts 

I think that is 100% true and is going to happen. I can't wait to see Yuri, TJ, and Nesbitt run an offense... Then put Okoro down low and Perkins doing his thang. We will be able to run unlike we ever have before.

6 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Sure, I'm a realist.  You don't get top 60 players to come to mid-majors without the strong implication that they'll be starting next year.  Or in your example, that a player will get a lot of minutes at a certain position.

48 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Roy, do you really believe that any coach would not bring in a player he had a chance to get that he felt was better than you just because of his promise to you? What would you think if he refused to bring in a better player at a different position due to a previous promise? How does that make our team better?  What I'll promise is to help make you the best player you can become and I believe if you work hard enough you have the talent to not need or have to worry about a free pass. And honestly Roy if you require a promised starting position it's clear to me that you don't see in yourself the player I see you becoming. In my mind that player doesn't want or need anything more than an opportunity to compete. I believe he can be that good. 

skip i scrolled back two weeks in this thread (probably at least 10 pages of posts) and i dont find where i commented on the above in any manner.   did you mean to address your post to someone else?   if i do have a post i mistakenly skipped over please provide so i can respond in context.  thanks in advance skip.  

Agree with both 3 star and NH regarding certain Grad transfers but you'd damn well better make sure you're right. I'm TJ or anyone elase and you recruit a guy in and promise him a starting role for a position I've worked hard to earn and he turns out to not be better than me, I'm probably on the way out, even if you adjust. Especially with a no sit 1 time transfer rule. I'd feel a bit screwed over. And if you promise a guy a starting role, everyone will know what he was promised, 

BilliesBy40 likes this

3 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

skip i scrolled back two weeks in this thread (probably at least 10 pages of posts) and i dont find where i commented on the above in any manner.   did you mean to address your post to someone else?   if i do have a post i mistakenly skipped over please provide so i can respond in context.  thanks in advance skip.  

I was just using your name as if I was talking to a player as if you were the player. Despite how ridiculous I know that scenario to be lol After re reading it, I see it wasn't very clear Apologies

7 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

I think that is 100% true and is going to happen. I can't wait to see Yuri, TJ, and Nesbitt run an offense... Then put Okoro down low and Perkins doing his thang. We will be able to run unlike we ever have before.

if you are proposing the above will be our starting 5 next season, i will say that would shock me.   considering the minutes that tatch, jimmmmerson, bell and linnsen got last year, i think there is a lot of roster jumping going on you are proposing that ford isnt known for doing year to year.   not saying i disagree with any or all of your players, just saying it would surprise me to see ford elevate all these players as you are kind of suggesting.  

1 minute ago, slufanskip said:

I was just using your name as if I was talking to a player as if you were the player. Despite how ridiculous I know that scenario to be lol After re reading it, I see it wasn't very clear Apologies

👍

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

if you are proposing the above will be our starting 5 next season, i will say that would shock me.   considering the minutes that tatch, jimmmmerson, bell and linnsen got last year, i think there is a lot of roster jumping going on you are proposing that ford isnt known for doing year to year.   not saying i disagree with any or all of your players, just saying it would surprise me to see ford elevate all these players as you are kind of suggesting.  

Oh no not at all - not the starting five. But just imagining those players on the court running and gunning.

9 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I hope whoever was grading Yuri's defense factored in the number of charges he took, I guess he was team leader in that stat, if it is kept

Yuri's defense being is being judged by Kwamain/Jordair/McCall standards who were stellar defenders.  Yuri's defense is above average most games but he usually gets lit up by larger guards and those are the games his detractors remember.

11 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Yuri's defense being is being judged by Kwamain/Jordair/McCall standards who were stellar defenders.  Yuri's defense is above average most games but he usually gets lit up by larger guards and those are the games his detractors remember.

Correct.  Those are the games I remember.  Our point guard should never get lit up on defense by anyone except lottery picks.  Did Yuri guard Cam Thomas from LSU when he dropped 25 on us?

I cant remember because as it was a quiet 25 because Perkins had 32! 😄

28 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

Correct.  Those are the games I remember.  Our point guard should never get lit up on defense by anyone except lottery picks.  Did Yuri guard Cam Thomas from LSU when he dropped 25 on us?

I cant remember because as it was a quiet 25 because Perkins had 32! 😄

I don't think Yuri should or would have been guarding Thomas anyway. Seems to me that would have primarily been Goodwin's job, Thatch was out that game with an injury. 

Names of SLU interest in the portal, updated. Current school in parentheses, followed by next year's class status and expected remaining eligibility, including COVID bonus year.

New transfers from the previous list: Cam'Ron Fletcher (Kentucky) to Florida State, Aundre Hyatt (LSU) to Rutgers, Baylor Hebb (Loyola-Chicago) to Colorado State, Martice Mitchell (Minnesota) to Northern Illinois, and Josh Nickelberry (Louisville) to La Salle. Ralph Bissainthe (Central Michigan) and Cooper Neese (Indiana State) are staying put. They have been removed from the list.

Had an offer from SLU at some point:
-John Bol Ajak (Syracuse) - Freshman, 4 Years
-Madut Akec (South Florida) - Junior, 3 Years
-Myles Baker (Central Connecticut State) - Junior, 3 Years
-Dudley Blackwell (Iowa State) - Sophomore, 4 Years
-Ben Coupet (Little Rock) - Grad Transfer, 1 Year - 
Hearing from DePaul, Mizzou, Bowling Green, MTSU, SIUC, Tennesee-Martin, UIC, Illinois State, McNeese State, Duquesne, Miami (OH), WKU, Cal State-Fullerton.
-Kevin Easley (TCU) - Junior, 3 Years - Hearing from GW, Clemson, Arizona State, Bowling Green, Western Michigan, Portland, UC-Santa Barbara, UIC.
-Kobe Elvis (DePaul) - Sophomore, 4 Years - Hearing from Clemson, Dayton, Drake, VCU, Georgia, Iowa State, TCU, Colorado, Cal, Boston College, Colorado State, Grand Canyon. May also return to DePaul.
-Jalen Johnson (Mississippi State) - Grad Transfer, 1 Year
-Dusan Mahorcic (Illinois State) - Senior, 2 Years - Hearing from USC, Texas, Arkansas, Colorado State, DePaul, Texas A&M, Boston College, UNLV, Murray State, South Alabama, New Mexico, New Mexico State, UTEP, UIC, Northern Arizona, Detroit, and Kent State.
-Martice Mitchell (Minnesota) - Sophomore, 4 Years
-Gethro Muscadin (Kansas) - Sophomore, 4 Years - Hearing from Rutgers, Penn State, New Mexico, UNLV, UTSA, Colorado State, Sam Houston State.
-Mickey Pearson (TCU) - Sophomore, 4 Years
-Joseph Reece (Old Dominion) - Senior, 2 Years
-Jared Ridder (Missouri State) - Senior, 2 Years
-Dallas Watson (Saint Peter's) - Senior, 2 Years

Had SLU interest at some point:
-Jeron Artest (UC-Irvine) - Junior, 3 Years
-Lenell Henry (Prairie View A&M) - Grad Transfer, 1 Year - Hearing from IUPUI, Incarnate Word.
-Rashad Weekly-McDaniels (Central Michigan) - Sophomore, 4 Years - Hearing from JUCOs.

Others that have been contacted by SLU:
-Aaron Cook (Gonzaga) - Grad Transfer, 1 Year

Please let me know if I'm missing anyone.

2 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

So another 2 guard without a strong perimeter shot playing next to a PG without a perimeter shot. 

We had that with Goodwin and Collins.  Cook is a better perimeter shooter than Goodwin. He shot 38% from 3 his second season at SIU and 35% his 3rd season. He also shot 35% from 3 this past season. Goodwin only topped 30% once during his SLU career - this past season at 31%. 

19 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

St Bonaventure has larger guards and we want to win the A10. So it is ok to get lit up by the good teams in your league?  
And every player has their strengths and weaknesses. And if they did not have weaknesses, they would not be playing for St. Louis University in the A10. But when you lack a perimeter game which results in the other team not guarding you and you also has trouble finishing in the lane, i part bc of your height which cannot change,  then yes it is hard to look the other way as to your defense. 
And yes, when scoring must come from the other 4 players, extra pressure is placed on the other 4.  If you want a 3.0 or B average for your academic semester but the best you can do in a given class is a 2.0 or C, then you cannot meet your goal with a 3.0 or B in your other 4 classes. And if you goal is a 3.5 or B+ average, then there need to be quite a few 4.0 or A’s in your other 4 classes. And IMO, this pressure was too much for a youngster like Jimerson. Upper class leadership can handle such pressure but unfortunately our upper class leaders could not shoot from the perimeter either. 

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Would this mean Cook needs a waiver, wherever he goes next season?

Pretty sure this is in reference to the long-term changes to the transfer rules. This year everyone gets a free transfer without restrictions.

brianstl likes this

53 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Pretty sure this is in reference to the long-term changes to the transfer rules. This year everyone gets a free transfer without restrictions.

I hope you are right, but why wouldn't that specific issue be spelled out? 

My reading is that the NCAA hasn't put out anything for the 2022 season transfers, but they know they have to.  They don't want to go back to the waiver ClusterFk.

MORE:  I just read this article on ESPN's website.  https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/31353578/ncaa-1-transfer-rule-clears-last-step-starts-2021-22-academic-year

Last paragraph:  Now, if an athlete has already use a one-time exception for a transfer as an undergraduate, the athlete is not automatically eligible as a graduate transfer. Athletes can still apply for a waiver to become eligible under certain circumstances.

I'm confused.

19 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I hope you are right, but why wouldn't that specific issue be spelled out? 

My reading is that the NCAA hasn't put out anything for the 2022 season transfers, but they know they have to.  They don't want to go back to the waiver ClusterFk.

MORE:  I just read this article on ESPN's website.  https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/31353578/ncaa-1-transfer-rule-clears-last-step-starts-2021-22-academic-year

Last paragraph:  Now, if an athlete has already use a one-time exception for a transfer as an undergraduate, the athlete is not automatically eligible as a graduate transfer. Athletes can still apply for a waiver to become eligible under certain circumstances.

I'm confused.

Also curious if this impacts Rashad Williams. Obviously not a grad transfer, but he has transferred once before. Is he eligible for the immediate transfer?