Transfers - 2021

ACE

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I could see Cook getting about 18-20 minutes per game here. Even if more of a 6th man, at least pretty close to starter minutes. He got 13 mpg for the Zags.

Yuri averaged 28 mpg last year, take one more mpg from Yuri to save a bit on wear and tear - so there's 13 minutes at the point for Cook. Throw in an additional 5-7 playing alongside Yuri, and there you go.

billiken_roy and A10Ref like this

54 minutes ago, ACE said:

I could see Cook getting about 18-20 minutes per game here. Even if more of a 6th man, at least pretty close to starter minutes. He got 13 mpg for the Zags.

Yuri averaged 28 mpg last year, take one more mpg from Yuri to save a bit on wear and tear - so there's 13 minutes at the point for Cook. Throw in an additional 5-7 playing alongside Yuri, and there you go.

Fair enough. I'm just saying that Cook will likely not be coming to SLU if what you described is what the coaches are communicating to him. My understanding is that he's already told the staff that he'd only be interested in coming to SLU if he's expected to start at point guard. One thing about graduate transfers is that they tend to know exactly what they're looking for in a new school and you can see why Cook wouldn't want to leave a top 5 program just to play a similar role in the A-10.

Hopefully the staff can convince him that enough minutes will be available off the ball to be enticing. But I expect him to go somewhere that he can play 30+ minutes and be a primary ballhandler. That's why I said I'm just not sure the mutual fit is their with the roster we already have.

5 minutes ago, NH said:

Fair enough. I'm just saying that Cook will likely not be coming to SLU if what you described is what the coaches are communicating to him. My understanding is that he's already told the staff that he'd only be interested in coming to SLU if he's expected to start at point guard. One thing about graduate transfers is that they tend to know exactly what they're looking for in a new school and you can see why Cook wouldn't want to leave a top 5 program just to play a similar role in the A-10.

Hopefully the staff can convince him that enough minutes will be available off the ball to be enticing. But I expect him to go somewhere that he can play 30+ minutes and be a primary ballhandler. That's why I said I'm just not sure the mutual fit is their with the roster we already have.

The coaches will be straight with him. If he comes to slu, he isn't expecting to be the starter.

8 minutes ago, NH said:

If he wants a 30+ minute gig, it probably won't be for an NCAA Tourney caliber team. Like most transfers, he'll have to decide whether winning or playing time is more important. Maybe he can find the right balance

He was getting 30 mpg for SIU teams that had no chance of making the Dance. He got 13 mpg for a great team far away. I think you try to sell him on the vision of having something in between - a nice balance... a bigger role (more than 13 mpg, but not 30 mpg) on a team with a shot at the Dance (but not the No. 1 team in the country) and do it in your hometown where your friends and family can easily see you play in person.

Just now, ACE said:

If he wants a 30+ minute gig, it probably won't be for an NCAA Tourney caliber team. Like most transfers, he'll have to decide whether winning or playing time is more important. Maybe he can find the right balance

He was getting 30 mpg for SIU teams that had no chance of making the Dance. He got 13 mpg for a great team far away. I think you try to sell him on the vision of having something in between - a nice balance... a bigger role (more than 13 mpg, but not 30 mpg) on a team with a shot at the Dance (but not the No. 1 team in the country) and do it in your hometown where your friends and family can easily see you play in person.

Yeah I pretty much agree with everything you said and think that is probably the pitch the coaching staff will make. But if it's not what the player is looking for, then the mutual fit just isn't there. The good news is everyone involved knows each other and knows what both parties are looking for so it should be easy to communicate and get to the right answer (as they are already doing).

I expect Cook will probably wind up with a major role on a top 50-100ish range team and I don't expect him to be at SLU. But I'd be happy to be wrong.

2 minutes ago, ACE said:

Plus he probably doesn't just want garbage time minutes like he did with Gonzaga when he racked up minutes to inflate his minutes (for the most part, did play well against Iowa early in the year). Averaged 11 minutes in the NCAA tournament but he got 21 against Norfolk St (43 pt victory). Take out Norfolk and he averaged 9 in the tourney. I think we could give him at least double that every night.

5 hours ago, ACE said:

The only thing that will be going down are his car insurance premiums... because he’s getting so old...

CBFan likes this

6 hours ago, A10Ref said:

The coaches will be straight with him. If he comes to slu, he isn't expecting to be the starter.

I like Cook's experience and scoring, but no way would he unseat Yuri as the starting point guard. Ford would be a nutcase to sit Collins (6 assists/2 turnovers as a soph) in favor of Cook (2 or 3 assists/2 turnovers). If he comes to SLU it means getting minutes at multiple positions, and both Cook and Nesbitt are good insurance for sliding over to play the point behind Collins.

BilliesBy40 likes this

16 hours ago, A10Ref said:

Plus he probably doesn't just want garbage time minutes like he did with Gonzaga when he racked up minutes to inflate his minutes (for the most part, did play well against Iowa early in the year). Averaged 11 minutes in the NCAA tournament but he got 21 against Norfolk St (43 pt victory). Take out Norfolk and he averaged 9 in the tourney. I think we could give him at least double that every night.

That is a good point. If you look at his game log, the 13 mpg is a bit skewed. The Iowa game is the exception, but most games you can tell based on his minutes the level of competition. In the two BYU games, the toughest WCC opponent, he got under 10 mpg. Conversely, in their blowout WCC wins he got close to 20 mpg.  Not only would he get more minutes here, he would get more meaningful minutes.

Yuri could use some competition.  Aaron Cook may beat him out and that would be fine with me.  

Yuri's passing ability is an A+ but his shooting is about a D and his defense is about a C-.  Cook playing solid D and the ability to hit the open 3 may lead to more wins.

Yuri's flashy passes have gained him a lifetime pass on this board.  I'd like to see other areas of his game vastly improve before I consider him a non-questioned/unchallenged starter.  

11 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

Yuri could use some competition.  Aaron Cook may beat him out and that would be fine with me.  

Yuri's passing ability is an A+ but his shooting is about a D and his defense is about a C-.  Cook playing solid D and the ability to hit the open 3 may lead to more wins.

Yuri's flashy passes have gained him a lifetime pass on this board.  I'd like to see other areas of his game vastly improve before I consider him a non-questioned/unchallenged starter.  

I was gonna ask, does Cook play decent D?

20 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

I don’t disagree, but I’m not sure Cook deserves to be labeled as someone who can hit the open three. His career shooting numbers are underwhelming. 

1 hour ago, SLU_Nick said:

The only player with a lifetime pass is Perkins and no other player.

I like all of the players on the team and because of that I do not care who is named the starters as long as it is the 5 best and it is a fair competition for all 5 spots.

All positions must have challengers that want those minutes.

Zink and slufanskip like this

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

The only player with a lifetime pass is Perkins and no other player.

I like all of the players on the team and because of that I do not care who is named the starters as long as it is the 5 best and it is a fair competition for all 5 spots.

All positions must have challengers that want those minutes.

Agreed. It's pretty well known I'm a huge Yuri fan, but if we bring someone in that can take some of most of his minutes I'm estatic as that just makes us a better team. 

However, I disagree with the assessment above that calls his D a C-. When he was hurt and couldn't move on his ankle, I'd agree but healthy I'd say his D is good though his size will always leave him susceptible to a mismatch with a big guard. I also disagree with what makes a player better at the point guard position. Imo by some on here there's a lack of understanding of the importance of what he does running the offense and creating opportunities for the players around him. It seems some would trade for a guy that scores 12-13 ppg with a 3/2 assist to t/o ratio and I believe that's a mistake. 

We also shouldn't be promising starting roles to anyone. It's just a free pass and no one should get nor do I want a player who requires a free pass. It's not difficult to sell opportunity where opportunity is available. I'd sell you on what I believe you can be and what that would look like for you on our team. I'd also talk to you about the realities of promised positions. 

Roy, do you really believe that any coach would not bring in a player he had a chance to get that he felt was better than you just because of his promise to you? What would you think if he refused to bring in a better player at a different position due to a previous promise? How does that make our team better?  What I'll promise is to help make you the best player you can become and I believe if you work hard enough you have the talent to not need or have to worry about a free pass. And honestly Roy if you require a promised starting position it's clear to me that you don't see in yourself the player I see you becoming. In my mind that player doesn't want or need anything more than an opportunity to compete. I believe he can be that good. 

27 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

We also shouldn't be promising starting roles to anyone. It's just a free pass and no one should get nor do I want a player who requires a free pass. It's not difficult to sell opportunity where opportunity is available. I'd sell you on what I believe you can be and what that would look like for you on our team. I'd also talk to you about the realities of promised positions. 

Roy, do you really believe that any coach would not bring in a player he had a chance to get that he felt was better than you just because of his promise to you? What would you think if he refused to bring in a better player at a different position due to a previous promise? How does that make our team better?  What I'll promise is to help make you the best player you can become and I believe if you work hard enough you have the talent to not need or have to worry about a free pass. And honestly Roy if you require a promised starting position it's clear to me that you don't see in yourself the player I see you becoming. In my mind that player doesn't want or need anything more than an opportunity to compete. I believe he can be that good. 

If you don't believe that Tramaine Isabel was promised a starting role I think you're naive.  Coaches offer starting roles to priority players all the time.

slufanskip likes this

19 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Hypothetically, would you be opposed to a coach recruiting a grad transfer (e.g., Tramiane Isabell) and saying something like "our plan is for you to be our starting point guard and play the majority of the minutes next to Jordan Goodwin in the backcourt"? Obviously if Isabell comes in and he sucks, that plan has to be altered. But it's not like all players enter the season with the same opportunity to win playing time as everyone else on the roster (which I know you're not saying)

slufanskip likes this