Transfers - 2021

ACE

1 hour ago, Clock_Tower said:

French improved his first 2 years. Got stronger. Developed a spin move. Developed a 2 or 3 dribble power move. Improved ball handling. Showed us a baby hook.... but then never developed a mid range shot, became predictable and his FTs appeared worse his Junior and Senior year than his Freshman year.i place most of this on the player rather than coach all of which I said the same previously. 

i dont think you paid attention his freshman year.   had all that from day one.

TheA_Bomb likes this

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

French improved his first 2 years. Got stronger. Developed a spin move. Developed a 2 or 3 dribble power move. Improved ball handling. Showed us a baby hook.... but then never developed a mid range shot, became predictable and his FTs appeared worse his Junior and Senior year than his Freshman year.i place most of this on the player rather than coach all of which I said the same previously. 

Some players are just never going to develop certain skills no matter how much coaching they get.  Most great shooters just have that ability naturally.  Some great athletes do not have the hand to eye coordination to be good shooters.  Goodwin might improve some in his 3 point shooting from coaching, but not much.  I believe he just does not have the born with coordination.  Same with French.  I've never seen an average to poor shooter become a great shooter through coaching.  So no, I do not blame the coaching for French and Goodwin not being great or even good outside shooters.

24 minutes ago, Franchise_08 said:

Apparently we are in on Aaron Cook the local guy from Gonzaga. Did he play much for the National Runner-ups?

Didn't play too much but I am all in on taking a one-year guy from that program. No doubt the kid learned some things that could greatly help team blue.

Old guy and CBFan like this

49 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

Didn't play too much but I am all in on taking a one-year guy from that program. No doubt the kid learned some things that could greatly help team blue.

I am all in Cook showing our team how to get to the final 4.

1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

-is he bringing Kispert, Suggs and Timme with him?

Probably not, good post.

2 hours ago, ACE said:

I gotta think the circus that is Penny and Memphis isn’t great for future recruiting.

I would think other coaches are going to use the over recruiting and mass exodus of players against them.

1 hour ago, dlarry said:

I gotta think the circus that is Penny and Memphis isn’t great for future recruiting.

I would think other coaches are going to use the over recruiting and mass exodus of players against them.

Penny’s don’t have anywhere near the value they used to have. 

1 hour ago, dlarry said:

It also makes me feel a heck of a lot better about Nesbitt. I recall there being some arrows slung at him when he announced he was transferring, but clearly things aren’t great internally there.

The main issue with Cook to SLU is that Cook wants to be a starting point guard and he’s aware that SLU already has a starting point guard. I’m sure the staff will try to talk around that but don’t be surprised if the fit doesn’t materialize and he goes somewhere he’s handed the keys from day one.

We continue to see that (guaranteed) playing time is often the most important thing on recruits’ minds, especially transfers.  

AGB91 likes this

10 minutes ago, NH said:

The main issue with Cook to SLU is that Cook wants to be a starting point guard and he’s aware that SLU already has a starting point guard. I’m sure the staff will try to talk around that but don’t be surprised if the fit doesn’t materialize and he goes somewhere he’s handed the keys from day one.

We continue to see that (guaranteed) playing time is often the most important thing on recruits’ minds, especially transfers.  

Hopefully Cook feels he can beat Collins out of a job signs and tries to do just that.

I hope the point guard position as with the other 4 positions are available to the best player.

6 minutes ago, NH said:

I think that he and Collins can play together. Truthfully, I think he has the ability to take minutes from Collins as the point, unless Collins scoring improves. It would have an equal effect on Thatch and Jimerson, each giving a few minutes to Cook. Think of it this way: AC: 30 min; YC: 25 min; FT: 20 min; GJ: 20 min. (With 20 of FT and GJ minutes coming from playing the 3). JP plays 30 (10 min as a PF).

15 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I think that he and Collins can play together. Truthfully, I think he has the ability to take minutes from Collins as the point, unless Collins scoring improves. It would have an equal effect on Thatch and Jimerson, each giving a few minutes to Cook. Think of it this way: AC: 30 min; YC: 25 min; FT: 20 min; GJ: 20 min. (With 20 of FT and GJ minutes coming from playing the 3). JP plays 30 (10 min as a PF).

I agree they can definitely play together. But the scenario you described is not how transfer recruits tend to think about things and not how Cook is thinking about things from what I’ve heard. I think he wants to hear “you will start at point guard.”

I would love for Cook to come and think he’d be a great fit on our squad as a ball-handler and playmaker who can play on and off ball and guard multiple positions on the perimeter. I hope the staff can convince him it’s the right fit.

49 minutes ago, NH said:

I haven't heard that Cook wants to be a starting point guard. He started at SIU and left to Gonzaga knowing he wouldn't start... Doesn't seem like starting matters too much to him imo.