Transfers - 2021

ACE

33 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

I don't think we will see much of Hargrove playing post at 6,4 215.  He is best at guard. He has the ability to rebound and block shots, but not bodying up against bigger players. You can sometimes get by with an undersized 4, if he is really good with positioning himself and anticipates his opponents moves. That's not Hargrove.

If Hargrove doesn't get at least some minutes as a small ball 4, he will see comparable minutes to last year.   He doesn't handle the ball well enough to play the 2.  That leaves the 3, which is the position where we have a logjam.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

If Hargrove doesn't get at least some minutes as a small ball 4, he will see comparable minutes to last year.   He doesn't handle the ball well enough to play the 2.  That leaves the 3, which is the position where we have a logjam.

TJ was exposed defensively when he had to guard a 4. Doesn’t have the strength to defend or rebound at that position. Agree he needs to work on ball handling to get those 2-3 minutes. 

8 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

For good reason.  Perkins, Okoro and Linssen will get the vast majority of the minutes in the frontcourt. Lorentsson will have to beat out either Hargrove or Bell just to break into the rotation. 

I am looking for Lorensson and Strickland to make big jumps from freshmen to sophomores.  I would not be surprised at all if one or both make it into the rotation.  Love Thatch, Jimerson and Hargroves ..... but think Strickland may be the better athlete than any of the three.  And if Lorentsson can learn to play D, and put on some muscle ..... well you can't teach 6'8".  And if he is the shooter advertised, he could be in the rotation. 

Agree with 3star.  We want a stretch 4 in the transfer portal, but Hargrove is our stretch 4.  Has to improve his rebounding and defense.  He's never going to be an effective perimeter player, his ballhandling is just not there.

10 hours ago, thetorch said:

Agree with 3star.  We want a stretch 4 in the transfer portal, but Hargrove is our stretch 4.  Has to improve his rebounding and defense.  He's never going to be an effective perimeter player, his ballhandling is just not there.

At 6'4" he is not a stretch 4 by any means.  Hoping he works hard on ball handling because I love his attitude, athleticism and energy.  And his shooting was good.  But Hargrove was a liability on defense and rebounding playing the 4 last year IMO.  

41 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

At 6'4" he is not a stretch 4 by any means.  Hoping he works hard on ball handling because I love his attitude, athleticism and energy.  And his shooting was good.  But Hargrove was a liability on defense and rebounding playing the 4 last year IMO.  

What was Dwayne Evans? Stretch 4, or just generally a bad mother...? He was 6’5”, and not really heavy. Hargrove is easily a better athlete. Also, Hargrove is light years ahead as a shooter. Hargrove just needs to channel the teachings of Corey Tate, a 6’4” big 12 PF. He needs to focus on getting boards, playing smart in the offensive plan, and making high energy plays. If he does that, he will be hard to take out of the game.

25 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

What was Dwayne Evans? Stretch 4, or just generally a bad mother...? He was 6’5”, and not really heavy. Hargrove is easily a better athlete. Also, Hargrove is light years ahead as a shooter. Hargrove just needs to channel the teachings of Corey Tate, a 6’4” big 12 PF. He needs to focus on getting boards, playing smart in the offensive plan, and making high energy plays. If he does that, he will be hard to take out of the game.

I am a huge Hargrove fan but man you are selling Evans short. There was very little Evans couldn’t do. Bigs couldn’t stay with him, smalls couldn’t keep him from the hoop. TJ lacks strength. That’s why he has trouble rebounding in a crowd. Evans was a very good athlete. 

It's easier for Hargrove to get stronger than it is for him to develop guard-level ballhandling skills and the ability to shoot off the dribble.  The former could take as little as a summer.  The latter takes years. 

If anybody has the ability to make a Jacobs-like leap at the guard position, it's Strickland.  He needs to jump on the opportunity whenever it presents itself.

3 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

It's easier for Hargrove to get stronger than it is for him to develop guard-level ballhandling skills and the ability to shoot off the dribble.  The former could take as little as a summer.  The latter takes years. 

If anybody has the ability to make a Jacobs-like leap at the guard position, it's Strickland.  He needs to jump on the opportunity whenever it presents itself.

I am not really questioning what you are saying about Strickland but unless you have had the opportunity to see him at practice I’m not sure how you can make those statements. If you have had access I will buy your analysis. Point is we didn’t see enough to make any judgements except he can jump out of the gym. 

TJ ‘s path is through becoming a guard as opposed to a forward. Will he make it?  Not sure. Some improvement already though. 2 guard, 3, 4/PF?  Thought modern basketball got rid of this and went to putting our your best 5?😂. I say otherwise. 
And no, Dwayne Evans was not a stretch 4 or a stretch anything. He was a traditional but undersized forward who played w his back to the basket, who had alot of success for us but who tried to improve his guard skills over his 4 years, who found open space in the lane, who took advantage of odd matchups caused by our lineup  and who benefited from the stretching of our stretch 4 (Cody Ellis) and our stretch 5 (Rob Loe). DE did not stretch and IMO he would have struggled playing with similar, non-stretch players like French and JGood. 

SLU_Lax likes this

7 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

TJ ‘s path is through becoming a guard as opposed to a forward. Will he make it?  Not sure. Some improvement already though. 2 guard, 3, 4/PF?  Thought modern basketball got rid of this and went to putting our your best 5?😂. I say otherwise. 
And no, Dwayne Evans was not a stretch 4 or a stretch anything. He was a traditional but undersized forward who played w his back to the basket, who had alot of success for us but who tried to improve his guard skills over his 4 years, who found open space in the lane, who took advantage of odd matchups caused by our lineup  and who benefited from the stretching of our stretch 4 (Cody Ellis) and our stretch 5 (Rob Loe). DE did not stretch and IMO he would have struggled playing with similar, non-stretch players like French and JGood. 

Watch Evans cook in this game.  Evans was money from 15-20 feet.  He took guys off the dribble and had the best post moves by a Billiken in a generation.  If Evans couldn't play with French, French would be on the bench and Goodwin would be getting out of his way.

On 4/24/2021 at 3:27 PM, thetorch said:

Watch Evans cook in this game.  Evans was money from 15-20 feet.  He took guys off the dribble and had the best post moves by a Billiken in a generation.  If Evans couldn't play with French, French would be on the bench and Goodwin would be getting out of his way.

Yes.  DE became a more well rounded player each year for us - something that French never did.  At the same time, I still contend he was not stretch anything - as you suggest.  And while he had a mid range game and improved his handles each year, he still did his best work with his back to the basket.  And when he had his back to the basket, our 4 (CE) and 5 (RL) were often threats lining up on the 3 point line.  And when CE and RL were playing inside or when DE was guarded by a larger, less mobile big, as you mention, DE could take advantage, draw his man out and hit the mid range.  And yes, if DE struggled while playing with French, it would be French's fault as opposed to DE's..

Most 6'5" guys who play the 3 are more guard than forward.  They are guys can shoot can hit the 3, handle the ball and be more comfortable on the perimeter.  Not DE -- he was more a traditional small forward than a wing -- more comfortable with his back to the basket.   

stmdragons likes this

5 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Yes.  DE became a more well rounded player each year for us - something that French never did.  At the same time, I still contend he was not stretch anything - as you suggest.  And while he had a mid range game and improved his handles each year, he still did his best work with his back to the basket.  And when he had his back to the basket, our 4 (CE) and 5 (RL) were often threats lining up on the 3 point line.  And when CE and RL were playing inside or when DE was guarded by a larger, less mobile big, as you mention, DE could take advantage, draw his man out and hit the mid range.  And yes, if DE struggled while playing with French, it would be French's fault as opposed to DE's..

Most 6'5" guys who play the 3 are more guard than forward.  They are guys can shoot can hit the 3, handle the ball and be more comfortable on the perimeter.  Not DE -- he was more a traditional small forward than a wing -- more comfortable with his back to the basket.   

so what you are saying is that french DID NOT improve i.e. was developed over his billiken career.  thanks for your thoughts.   seems different then what you opined a few weeks back when there was a ford developing players discussion.

BilliesBy40 likes this

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

so what you are saying is that french DID NOT improve i.e. was developed over his billiken career.  thanks for your thoughts.   seems different then what you opined a few weeks back when there was a ford developing players discussion.

French improved his first 2 years. Got stronger. Developed a spin move. Developed a 2 or 3 dribble power move. Improved ball handling. Showed us a baby hook.... but then never developed a mid range shot, became predictable and his FTs appeared worse his Junior and Senior year than his Freshman year.i place most of this on the player rather than coach all of which I said the same previously.