Transfers - 2021

ACE

2 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

That is kind of the thing, I don't think he is very talented nor do I think he was deserving of a 4 star recruiting ranking. Maybe you meant to respond to a different post? What he was in high school just did not translate to the high major level and many had those questions on the front end despite the recruiting ranking. He was able to dominate bullying his way to the rim in Missouri Class 3 ball. He just isn't strong enough or athletic enough to do that in college and that isn't even touching on the fact that his ball skills are definitely low major caliber. So he rightfully tried to become more of a standstill 3 point shooter (3-and-D guy), but hasn't proven to be able to shoot the ball nor defend well enough to succeed in that role. He seems like a really good teammate so I don't want to pile on him, but he was definitely an odd player to watch, I don't know if it is a lack of coordination or what. I think he is going to a level that probably is more in line with the caliber of player he is.

I am not a Cuonzo Martin fan at all, so no need to get into that.

Is Hargrove excelling an agreed upon stance on here?

Watson did drop 37 on Thatch when they played.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd heard that Madsen really liked Wes Miller, the new coach at UC, and is thinking abouts taying now. If this guy is to be believed, Butler may be moving up and SLU down.

32 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I'd heard that Madsen really liked Wes Miller, the new coach at UC, and is thinking abouts taying now. If this guy is to be believed, Butler may be moving up and SLU down.

I believe it.  Madsen's list is getting bigger, not smaller.  However, there are plenty of combo guards out there and months before they all find a  home.  We'll land one eventually. 

I'm more interested in how well our 2022 big man targets fare on the AAU circuit.

16 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I believe it.  Madsen's list is getting bigger, not smaller.  However, there are plenty of combo guards out there and months before they all find a  home.  We'll land one eventually. 

I'm more interested in how well our 2022 big man targets fare on the AAU circuit.

3 star or coach 314 are we even a blip on the screen of reed or is he all bigtime eyed now?

7 hours ago, Pistol said:

Names of SLU interest in the portal, updated. Current school in parentheses, followed by next year's class status and expected remaining eligibility, including COVID bonus year.

Deivon Smith (Mississippi State) to Georgia Tech, Torrence Watson (Mizzou) to Elon, Woody Newton (Syracuse) to Oklahoma State, and Jamal Mashburn, Jr. (Minnesota) to New Mexico. They have been removed from the list.

Had an offer from SLU at some point:
-John Bol Ajak (Syracuse) - Freshman, 4 Years
-Madut Akec (South Florida) - Junior, 3 Years
-Myles Baker (Central Connecticut State) - Junior, 3 Years
-Dudley Blackwell (Iowa State) - Sophomore, 4 Years
-Kevin Easley (TCU) - Junior, 3 Years - Hearing from GW, Bowling Green, Western Michigan, Portland, UC-Santa Barbara, UIC.

-Kobe Elvis (DePaul) - Sophomore, 4 Years - Hearing from Clemson, Dayton, Drake, VCU, Georgia, Iowa State, TCU, Colorado, Cal, Boston College, Colorado State, Grand Canyon.
-Cam'Ron Fletcher (Kentucky) - Sophomore, 4 Years - Has heard from SLU, Mizzou, Florida State, Memphis, Georgetown, USC, UCLA, Loyola-Chicago, Tennessee, Oklahoma State, Iowa State, San Diego State, Washington, Marquette, St. Mary's.
-Baylor Hebb (Loyola-Chicago) - Sophomore, 4 Years
-D.J. Horne (Illinois State) - Junior, 3 Years - Hearing from Davidson, VCU, Marquette, Nebraska, Colorado, Colorado State, Cal, Washington State, Iona, FGCU, Charlotte, UNCW, Murray State, Arizona State, Elon, New Mexico, USF, FIU, Ball State, East Carolina, NC A&T, Charleston, Northeastern. Committing Saturday (4/17) at 1 pm.
-Aundre Hyatt (LSU) - Junior, 3 Years - Considering Georgia, Texas A&M, Cincinnati, Pitt, Penn State, Boston College, others.
-Jalen Johnson (Mississippi State) - Grad Transfer, 1 Year
-Martice Mitchell (Minnesota) - Sophomore, 4 Years
-Gethro Muscadin (Kansas) - Sophomore, 4 Years - Hearing from Rutgers, Penn State, New Mexico, UNLV, UTSA, Colorado State, Sam Houston State.
-Josh Nickelberry (Louisville) - Junior, 3 Years - Hearing from Indiana, Clemson, Grand Canyon, Boston College, Wichita State, Elon, Georgia State, Texas A&M, UNC-Wilmington. 
-Mickey Pearson (TCU) - Sophomore, 4 Years
-Joseph Reece (Old Dominion) - Senior, 2 Years
-Jared Ridder (Missouri State) - Senior, 2 Years
-Dallas Watson (Saint Peter's) - Senior, 2 Years

Had SLU interest at some point:
-Jeron Artest (UC-Irvine) - Junior, 3 Years
-Ralph Bissainthe (Central Michigan) - Junior, 3 Years - Hearing from Ball State, Eastern Washington, Morehead State, Montana State, FAU, Sam Houston State, Stetson, Samford, Cal State-Fullerton, Elon, Towson, and St. Peter's. Also open to returning to CMU.
-Lenell Henry (Prairie View A&M) - Grad Transfer, 1 Year - Hearing from IUPUI, Incarnate Word.
-Cooper Neese (Indiana State) - Senior, 2 Years
-Rashad Weekly-McDaniels (Central Michigan) - Sophomore, 4 Years - Hearing from JUCOs.

Others that have been contacted by SLU:
-Mason Madsen (Cincinnati) - Sophomore, 4 Years - Hearing from SLU, New Mexico, Butler, Colorado State, Iowa State, Loyola-Chicago, UNI, Toledo, Cal Poly, SIUC. Also considering staying at UC with the new coach.

Please let me know if I'm missing anyone.

Great list and I know it must involve a LOT of work.  Do not know how you are accumulating your list, but would neat to see a view of it showing players available whose home is within a 100 or 150 mile radius from SLU.  Guessing like Nesbitt, there are other players who are transferring in part to get closer to home and family.  Are there any more of these type of players out there?

13 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

I expect Reed will play out the summer, take his visits, most of which will be to Big 10 schools and pick a Big 10 school.

I heard the same. My understanding is he has things to do in March and likes the NCAA tourney but always hopes to get it over with quickly, so he realizes the Big 10 is his best option

RamJAMTIME and dlarry like this

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

I heard the same. My understanding is he has things to do in March and likes the NCAA tourney but always hopes to get it over with quickly, so he realizes the Big 10 is his best option

no his best option is to remain home and play for the billikens so all his friends and relatives can watch him excel!  😀

AGB91 and drkelsey55 like this

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

no his best option is to remain home and play for the billikens so all his friends and relatives can watch him excel!  😀

Here's the rub. Become a Billiken you're going to have to continue playing basketball deep into March from here on out. Go to a Big 10 power and you play one game, maybe one weekend and you get to go home. 

billiken_roy likes this

22 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Here's the rub. Become a Billiken you're going to have to continue playing basketball deep into March from here on out. Go to a Big 10 power and you play one game, maybe one weekend and you get to go home. 

It’s hard to get the discounted Spring Break rates when your season doesn’t end until April.

slufanskip likes this

5 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

I'm guessing he's worried about playing time, with Bell and Okoro and Linnsen on the roster ahead of him.....

rich, in all due respect, i am sure the likes of michigan state has comparable bigs to linnsen and bell.  maybe not okoro but the others are not likely to necessarily be better than reed.   if reed is not sure he can beat those two out not sure we want him.   that said, he can beat them out.

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

rich, in all due respect, i am sure the likes of michigan state has comparable bigs to linnsen and bell.  maybe not okoro but the others are not likely to necessarily be better than reed.   if reed is not sure he can beat those two out not sure we want him.   that said, he can beat them out.

I cant figure out the blue font thing......

On 4/16/2021 at 8:36 AM, billiken_roy said:

i saw hargrove a lot in high school.   you need to help me with this "change".

Roy.  Sorry for the delay in responding. As to Hargrove in high school, let me start by saying I never saw him play in high school and I defer to you and others on this Board who actually have gone and watched Hargove and the other players play. My comments are based upon what I have read about him. Please, correct me if I have made the wrong conclusions but I understand that he was coached by multiple coaches, that the coaching he received may not have been the best, that discipline, structure and defense was not emphasized and yet he helped lead his team to a State Championship his Senior year.  During that time, he seems to have relied heavily upon his amazing yet raw athletic ability. And while he appeared to have scored from every part of the court, it does not appear he had a high percentage of shooting and while he made 3 pointers in high school, I have yet to read accounts about him being a real perimeter threat, a 3 point shooter. And from reading other posters, they indicated his dribbling was not a strength.  And furthermore, he appeared to have been more a small forward than a guard.

Now, I have seen Hargrove play here at SLU these past two (2) years.   And I agree with Taj that Hargrove is halfway up the mountain with a long way to go. The development, or change, I see in Hargrove is with his defense and embracing of coaching.  I see an improvement in fundamentals and footwork.  While I did not see him play defense in high school, I did see him play early on at SLU.  I saw bad fundamentals, I saw him let his man pass by him to either score or sometimes see him somehow block the shot from behind with his unreal jumping and athletic ability.  Now, I see his feet moving and much better technique not letting his guy pass by him easily.   Also, I see an improvement on his perimeter shooting, structure and playing without the ball.  Whether he is truly better or not, he is certainly more confident and his head is no longer spinning.

But to me, the biggest change, and I stress the word I used "appears" to be Hargrove is becoming a guard and a 3 point threat.   Sure, his percentage may be increasing, or may not, but I don't put much stock in percentages when the amount of shots is few and when there are so many variables -- was he left open? was the pass good/bad? was the shot off a screen? was the shot off a dribble?  was the shot on the break? did he have a hand in his face? was the defense expecting the 3 pointer? So many factors.  But to me, if you agree that midrange and perimeter shooting threats were not coming from Yuri, JGood and French, and if those 3 played alot of minutes, then mid range and perimeter had to come from Perkins and someone else.   And if Hargrove ended the year having earned playing time over Jjimerson, a guard and a 3 point shooter, then that tells me that Hargrove must have impressed in practice. Of course, I am not at practice but it sure appears that a change is taking place.   We will soon find out.

33 minutes ago, billikentim said:

Madsen staying with Cincinnati. Curious to see where we go with the last two scholarships. Haven’t seen us tied to anyone else at least publicly

The Bills haven’t been in a conference or played Cincinnati (that I can remember off the top of my head)in almost 20 years, yet I still hate them with a passion.

To this day I believe if I saw Bobby Brannen walking down the street I would punch him right in the face.

I wouldn’t be sad if Danny Fortson got a severe case of Herpes and to this day I wish Tony Bobbitt had been married to Lorena.

Don't even get me started on Huggins.

All that said, I wish Madsen a healthy college career.

SLU_Lax, bauman, willie and 1 other like this

Who was it that punched a police horse?  Was if Fortson? 

Can't remember his name, but had the nick name The Helicopter, got so pissed when we beat them on Valentine's Day, thinking Troy Robertson hit free throws late

dlarry likes this

1 hour ago, BLIKNS said:

Who was it that punched a police horse?  Was if Fortson? 

Can't remember his name, but had the nick name The Helicopter, got so pissed when we beat them on Valentine's Day, thinking Troy Robertson hit free throws late

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/2015/07/12/arthur-long-east-high-school-nba-drugs/30027229/

Art Long.

“His most notorious confrontation with police occurred while in college when he was accused of slugging a police horse.He and Cincinnati star Danny Fortson, who was also arrested with him on allegations of drunkenness, were later acquitted.”

giphy.gif

Dr. Holly Hills likes this

On 4/16/2021 at 6:43 PM, WVBilliken said:

Great list and I know it must involve a LOT of work.  Do not know how you are accumulating your list, but would neat to see a view of it showing players available whose home is within a 100 or 150 mile radius from SLU.  Guessing like Nesbitt, there are other players who are transferring in part to get closer to home and family.  Are there any more of these type of players out there?

That's basically an impossible thing to search, at least to me. I try to keep track of local/regional names to the best of my ability but it's all a manual process that relies on my imperfect memory. There are plenty of STL/MO/downstate IL kids playing D-I who never really hit our radar in a big way, who go out of town for school, and who may or may not transfer at some point. I try to point them out when I can, although some are never really of interest.

If there's anyone of Nesbitt's caliber from the region on the board, he will not go unnoticed.

Somebody is going to remember this. What was the Majerus number for recruiting shooters? The sum of their FG%/3P%/FT% that he talked about. I can't remember it for the life of me. Was it like 180?