Transfers - 2021

ACE

28 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

You can be accurately graded in high school but a bad college fit will make you look like a much worse player.  There's a reason that Isabel looked like a bum at Mizzou and a superstar at Drexel.  He's a ball dominant player and anything else wasn't going to work.

Watson is a volume scorer who was relegated to spot up shooter duties at Mizzou.  Bad fit.

He wasnt at first.  Watson was driving the ball a lot early on, but when he wasn't finishing he lost a ton of confidence and never got it back.  Going into mid second year any time we would drive, he would almost flinch or stay clear of contact.  After that he just stayed out and shot 3's.

Watson was a case of a player doing what he wanted against bad competition in HS. 

TheChosenOne likes this

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, wgstl said:

He wasnt at first.  Watson was driving the ball a lot early on, but when he wasn't finishing he lost a ton of confidence and never got it back.  Going into mid second year any time we would drive, he would almost flinch or stay clear of contact.  After that he just stayed out and shot 3's.

Watson was a case of a player doing what he wanted against bad competition in HS. 

I recall seeing a few of his HS videos and it jumped out that he seemed to be a soft player. Being able to dominate isn't always going to translate to the next level either. Turns out he was clearly over-rated. It happens sometimes.

18 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Relegated makes it sound like that was a coaching staff decision, his complete lack of ball skills is why he was relegated to being a stand still shooter. I know folks who watched him in high school had some concerns with how his game would translate to the high major level (apparently scored a lot of his points at the rim playing as more of a 6'4 bully at the Class 3 level) and those concerns played out. He is so inept with the ball that his only role at the high major level was to become a lights out 3 point shooter. He just can't be a volume scorer at that level.

Depends on what high major we're talking about.  There's lots of KState, Mississippi, TCU situations out there.

1 hour ago, Littlebill said:

If they end up at SLU and lead us to the NCAAs.... no longer a tool

give me an example of a mi$$ouri transfer coming to slu and even performing fairly?  this scenario is a fairytale.   

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

give me an example of a mi$$ouri transfer coming to slu and even performing fairly?  this scenario is a fairytale.   

Tramaine Isabell - not directly Mizzery to SLU but spent time in Columbia. That is who, i assume, little bill is referring to. He is, in fact, not a tool but a stud.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

bottom line anyone that decides to spend time at mi$$ouri is a tool.   no other explanation needed.   even if they decide it was a mistake and then transferred out, imo they would still be a tool.  

Even Travis Ford from way back when ?

Just now, Brighton said:

Even Travis Ford from way back when ?

yes, as a player he was a tool.   he was never a billiken player before or after his mi$$ouri mistake.  i like to think that bad choice in life did make him a stronger person that has assisted in his coaching success, however never going far in the ncaa might be a result of his mi$$ouri toolness as a player.

Reinert310 likes this

32 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

yes, as a player he was a tool.   he was never a billiken player before or after his mi$$ouri mistake.  i like to think that bad choice in life did make him a stronger person that has assisted in his coaching success, however never going far in the ncaa might be a result of his mi$$ouri toolness as a player.

Lol, Roy. Well said.

1 hour ago, Coach314 said:

Watson didn't receive his ranking from his high school achievements.  He got it from AAU.  Gordon, Ramey, Watson were all on TeamRamey and were ranked in 8th grade.  Mizzou just wasn't a good fit for Torrance 

Yep, goes to show how accurate the rankings can be, ESPECIALLY when evaluating 8th graders. They missed on this one.

17 minutes ago, AGB91 said:

If you mean Jim Roder?

He transferred from K-State.

Ted Mimlitz transferred from Missouri. 

mimlitz also before my time.  

42 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

Ted Mimlitz! lol

Played for SPUMAC in 84, SLU in 85.

I look forward to the day when I am the only one on this board who remembers Chris Sloan and can talk about how great it was when he dunked on Channing Frye.  The year will be...2060?  

Unfortunately when you mention Channing Frye in 2060 the rest of the board will go....”who?!?”

4 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Yep, bad memory.  But I remember both.  Decent players both .....

well i guess mimlitz isnt before my time (fandom begins 1977) but it was in the dark ages prior to bonnertime

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

well i guess mimlitz isnt before my time (fandom begins 1977) but it was in the dark ages prior to bonnertime

I thought you were joking about Mimlitz because you have been a fan longer than me.

That should have been 1 season before Bonner because Douglas and Gray were freshman and played with Mimlitz.

Roder and Mimlitz was the beginning of the turnaround from the dark days.

You were there for Roder and Mimlitz, roy.  Mimlitz was 1985 - 1987.  He was above average for usual Billiken transfers, averaging 7.6 ppg and then 6.4 ppg over 63 games played in two years.  Roder was there at the same time, averaging 6.3 and 6.4 ppg over 65 games played.  Roder average 5.5 apg over his career running the point.  Douglas and Gray were freshmen and sophs in his run and Bonner was a freshman as well their soph season.  That is the Grawer revival time frame.

Guessing I have most if not all of you beat and of course these players I saw at old Kiel Auditorium are all SLU Hall of Famers. A lot of years passed since my first Bills. Bob Cole, Gerry Garrison, Tom Kieffer, Dave Luchtefeld, Eugene Moore, Bob Nordmann, Rich Niemann, and Rich Parks. That went back to the early Missouri Valley Conference days.  Bradley was the big rival in most of those days. I worked at Kiel in my teens and saw all the Bills games back then.