Transfers - 2021

ACE

Daily bump.

Former SLU recruits in the transfer portal, updated. Current school in parentheses, followed by next year's class status and expected remaining eligibility, including COVID bonus year.

Had an offer from SLU at some point:
John Bol Ajak (Syracuse) - Freshman, 4 Years
Madut Akec (South Florida) - Junior, 3 Years
Dudley Blackwell (Iowa State) - Sophomore, 4 Years
Christian Brown (Georgia) - Junior, 3 Years

Nimari Burnett (Texas Tech) - Sophomore, 4 Years
Michael Christmas (James Madison) - Junior, 3 Years
Kobe Elvis (DePaul) - Sophomore, 4 Years
Cam'Ron Fletcher (Kentucky) - Sophomore, 4 Years
DaJuan Gordon (K-State) - Junior, 3 Years
Baylor Hebb (Loyola-Chicago) - Sophomore, 4 Years
Elijah Joiner (Tulsa) - Grad Transfer, 1 Year
Jamal Mashburn, Jr. (Minnesota) - Sophomore, 4 Years
Ismael Massoud (Wake Forest) - Junior, 3 Years
Justin McKoy (Virginia) - Junior, 3 Years
Martice Mitchell (Minnesota) - Sophomore, 4 Years
Gethro Muscadin (Kansas) - Sophomore, 4 Years
Mickey Pearson (TCU) - Sophomore, 4 Years
Xavier Pinson (Mizzou) - Senior, 2 Years
Joseph Reece (Old Dominion) - Senior, 2 Years
Nate Reuvers (Wisconsin) - Grad Transfer, 1 Year
Kadary Richmond (Syracuse) - Sophomore, 4 Years
Jared Ridder (Missouri State) - Senior, 2 Years
Deivon Smith (Mississippi State) - Freshman, 4 Years
Cole Swider (Villanova) - Senior, 2 Years
KyKy Tandy (Xavier) - Junior, 3 Years
Qudus Wahab (Georgetown) - Junior, 3 Years
Dallas Watson (Saint Peter's) - Senior, 2 Years
Torrence Watson (Mizzou) - Senior, 2 Years
Aaron Wheeler (Purdue) - Senior, 2 Years
Wyatt Yess (Yale) - Grad Transfer, 1-2 Years (Yale didn't play this season)

Had SLU interest at some point:
Lenell Henry (Prairie View A&M) - Grad Transfer, 1 Year
Tray Hollowell (Wofford) - Grad Transfer, 1 Year
Brendan Medley-Bacon (VCU) - Senior, 2 Years
Cooper Neese (Indiana State) - Senior, 2 Years
Jack Nunge (Iowa) - Junior, 2-3 Years
Rashad Weekly-McDaniels (Central Michigan) - Sophomore, 4 Years

Others that have been contacted by SLU:
Donovan Clay (Valpo) - Junior, 3 Years
Mason Madsen (Cincinnati) - Sophomore, 4 Years
Brandon McKissic (Kansas City) - Grad Transfer, 1 Year

There have been plenty of others contacted by SLU that I don't know about (yet), and possibly some names I've missed for offers/interest. Please let me know if I'm missing anyone.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, ACE said:

Kansas signed a D2 forward. Interesting to see how the kid makes the transition to high D1.

This guy should be good even at a high major program, but needs to add musclein the off season.

With the  recent comments on Verge and our interest in a guy that isn't even in the portal, i would expect if we arent all in on McKissic then our team has knowledge on some other guys like Verge that plan on entering the portal and aren't there yet (aka not known to the public).

48 minutes ago, Ibruce said:

I keep posting, we need to join the Summit League.  It is on the RISE!!!!  Mr Phipps certainly thinks so.  Look out JackRabbits, Bison, Fighting Hawks, Coyotes, Golden Eagles and Roos, the Billikens are on the hunt!

Gethro Muscadin is leaving Kansas after barely playing in his freshman season. Had a SLU offer as he was blowing up and committed to KU not long after.

Keshawn Williams (Tulsa) is headed to NIU. He's a Chicago kid.

Not a former SLU recruit or STL kid, but he's from the other side of the state - Christian Bishop is leaving Creighton after three seasons. Averaged 11.0 PPG and 6.4 RPG in 23.4 MPG this season. My wish list includes a stretch four, but a 6-7, 220 lb. forward who rebounds and finishes (68.4% FG) in the Big East could be a problem in the A10.

The best recruiter AND tactician, by far, was RM. He not only brought in some of our best talent we have ever had he brought in (KM, Reed, CE...) but he developed them (Conklin,  Evans, Jett, Loe, McCall) so that his teams set screens to perfection, bigs learned proper footwork, guys benefitted from mastering rebound angles while RM watched, analyzed, remembered and made halftime adjustments which helped us win. 
Spoon’s teams were also well coached, defensive minded and played hard and smart to make up for the lack of raw talent. But Charlie always had multiple PGs, multiple 3 point shooters and bigs who were more mobile than big or tall.  As such, when we controlled tempo, we were able to beat really good Cincy, Marquette and Louisville teams but when we could not control the tempo, we got blown out of the gym to Cincy, UAB and Memphis...

Havent been able to truly figure out Ford yet. JGood was a great first, early recruit but not sure if he fit any style of Ford’s. He was talented from the start but early development focused on his dribbling and court vision along with general shooting. French was good to have but he never developed the 10-15 footer or the 3 pt shot a guy his height could have used. Development occurred early as he became stronger, worked on his dribble, spin and power moves ... but then nothing - and from an undersized forward. Shooting is on the player - especially FTs - and not the coach.

Coach Ford certainly is a good recruiter - a strength of his. But is he a smart recruiter or just does he just stockpile similar talent which does not mesh?  Honestly not sure.  
Brad never got any talent to complement his stars and Spoon never landed good enough talent over the years though both got the maximum from their talent. RM also got the most from his talent but teams were far better than the sum of the parts.  So far, Coach Ford’s team appear to be the opposite- the parts are greater than the team. Why?  Empty original cupboards didn’t help, JGood and French’s skills are very unique, loss of a PG, combo guard and 3 pt shooter with S2 hurt, not realizing his guys were not coming back until that Spring hurt and extended matters another year.  Then the rebuild was sidelined last year by the loss of the postseason and this year by the 34 day pause this year. At the same time, only 1 real PG, no big who can stretch the defense by shooting from 15 foot or 3 pt line, only Gibson who can really shoot the 3, our wings mostly all better at slashing/scoring/effort rather than shooting. More talent is always welcomed but more complementary talent is what is really needed. 

@ Clock Tower and @ HP:  good post from Clock.  Nice analysis.  To HP I ask ... back on page 36 you state we need players to fit Coach's system.  What system is that?  Seriously.  I am at a loss many time trying to figure out just what our offense is trying to do and what system is truly 'the Ford system.'  Any help provided is appreciated.

And anyone else for that matter.  We obviously don't have cutsey stuff like 94 feet of hell or HAVOC or the Boeheim Match-up or Phi Slamma Jamma or the Doctors of Dunk.  Our system seems to be Bully Ball and I really hope THAT is not my answer.

3 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

@ Clock Tower and @ HP:  good post from Clock.  Nice analysis.  To HP I ask ... back on page 36 you state we need players to fit Coach's system.  What system is that?  Seriously.  I am at a loss many time trying to figure out just what our offense is trying to do and what system is truly 'the Ford system.'  Any help provided is appreciated.

And anyone else for that matter.  We obviously don't have cutsey stuff like 94 feet of hell or HAVOC or the Boeheim Match-up or Phi Slamma Jamma or the Doctors of Dunk.  Our system seems to be Bully Ball and I really hope THAT is not my answer.

What is Villanova's system?

slufanskip likes this

@3star:  I don't know.  Five-star players?  Hoosier Pal said Ford/SLU needs players to fit his system.  I'm just asking (seriously) what that system is. I'll accept your answer as well, and I recognize systems may be hybrids of others or evolving based on talent available.  I think most coaches kind of know what they want and recruit kids to fill the slots as needed.  I'd say Schmidt has a system ---- hard nosed, defensive kids who play a disciplined style of complimentary offense.  Then he gets one large man to stand in the middle and block shots.  He's had that with Osunniyi, Ikpeze, Ndoye, and maybe even Nicholson.  

Based on the best teams he's assembled over the last 20 years, Coach Ford doesn't have a system.  His teams have a personality. 

Ford's best teams are highly competitive, play good (not great) defense and have a go-to-player to close out games.  Sometimes his teams struggle to score 70 ppg.  Sometimes they average close to 80 ppg.  It depends on how offensively skilled a given set of players is.  

Rashad Williams plays with swagger and shoots a ton of threes. His % isn't tremendous, but watching his tape I think it's due to his coach giving him the 100% green light any time no questions asked. He shot all the time - deep, hands in face, double teamed, you name it he hucked it. His freshman year he was 40%. My favorite part of his game though is he can score driving to the rack and the mid-range... Let's get this kid and give him 25 mins a game... He can score like Perkins.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Rashad Williams?

Just started following Coach Ford and Michael Wilson on Twitter, and Wilson followed him. Worth diving into:

6-2, 185 lb. junior from Detroit. He spent the last two seasons at Oakland after starting out at Cleveland State, where he scored 10.8 PPG as a freshman.

Averaged 23.1 MPG and 13.6 PPG this season after averaging 19.5 points last season in 38.1 MPG. Looks like the downturn in minutes and production was caused by a series of injuries - car accident right before the season that messed up his shoulder, hip injury vs. Toledo, ankle injury vs. Cleveland State.

Went off for back-to-back 30+ point performances vs. Michigan State and Oklahoma State after his shoulder improved.

His shooting volume is incredible - he took 12.6 3-pointers per game last season, and still shot 9.9 per game this year. He made over 40% of his threes as a freshman at CSU, on over 7 attempts a game. Percentages went down to 32.3% last year and 33.0% this season, so I'd like to see those improve. There's no way he can keep that volume up if he moves up a level, so maybe when his shot selection isn't "all the shots" the percentages will naturally go up a bit.

He's an excellent FT shooter, around 80% for his career.

So he's high volume, low efficiency and can be feast or famine - check out his game log. 10-20 from 3 vs. Oklahoma State! Two games later he was 1-10.

I sort of wonder how that would play alongside Perkins, who likely expects to be taking the most shots next season. One of my fears is the offense stalling out if we try to force too much through him, or him just trying to do too much at times, so it certainly could alleviate pressure to have an absolutely fearless bomber come along. We have some other guys who can score, though, so it could just be a weird dynamic.

A10Ref likes this

Rashad Williams is a big-time shooter. Don’t let the low efficiency numbers fool you too much - he took a LOT of contested threes and led the nation in 3 point field goal attempts. I have confidence in his ability to shoot at a high-level in the A-10 and Ford seems laser focused on bringing in another shooter.

Personally, I have concerns about his defense. He has good hands but is on the smaller side and not an outstanding athlete from what I can tell. I’m not a huge fan of him playing next to Yuri for that reason.

We are low on guards right now and low on shooting so if we end up bringing in Williams as a rotation guard who provides shooting off the bench it makes sense to me. If he is being recruited to play big minutes I will be disappointed.

slufan13 likes this