Transfers - 2021

ACE

36 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Jacobs and Hargrove are much better three point shooters than they were as freshmen.  Unless the media tells us what happens in their summer workouts, it's all speculation.

three star, jacob shot 6 three's as a freshman.   spread out over a season and thinking how much anxiety and pressure he put on himself because of his lack of use, i dont think you can really use that as a point to compare.    this year his percentage actually went down.    so forgive me if i take exception to your assertion to his "improvement".   imo, jacobs still has one huge shooting issue.   he might have the slowest ready and release in college basketball history for a shooting guard.  

hargrove also really didnt have the sample size to compare.    he only shot 16 times as a freshman.   and again, i cant imagine the self imposed pressure and anxiety for a high school all stater who all at once was sitting at the end of the bench dying to get in and contribute.   but yes, his percentage got better.   however it doesnt match his senior year at east st louis when his 3 point percentage was 47%. 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

three star, jacob shot 6 three's as a freshman.   spread out over a season and thinking how much anxiety and pressure he put on himself because of his lack of use, i dont think you can really use that as a point to compare.    this year his percentage actually went down.    so forgive me if i take exception to your assertion to his "improvement".   imo, jacobs still has one huge shooting issue.   he might have the slowest ready and release in college basketball history for a shooting guard.  

hargrove also really didnt have the sample size to compare.    he only shot 16 times as a freshman.   and again, i cant imagine the self imposed pressure and anxiety for a high school all stater who all at once was sitting at the end of the bench dying to get in and contribute.   but yes, his percentage got better.   however it doesnt match his senior year at east st louis when his 3 point percentage was 47%. 

Context is important. Prior to the URI game, where Jacobs got injured, he was shooting 10-19 from 3-point for 52%. Following that injury, he was 1-14 from 3. IMO, the injury was a bigger reason for DJ's late season decline than Covid.  I think people forget who efficient Jacobs was early in the season, I think there was even a thread started that he was a leading candidate for conference 6th man of the year.

slufanskip likes this

Deivon Smith is leaving Mississippi State. We offered him out of HS but weren't among his finalists the first time around. Had 8 points vs. SLU and scored 17 in the NIT final against Memphis. Averaged 22.5 MPG and 5.2 PPG as a freshman, adding 3.6 RPG and 2.9 APG.

Symir Torrence is heading to Syracuse from Marquette. Syracuse was one of the favorites out of HS and if you looked at his recent Twitter feed, it's not a surprise he ended up there.

It seems to be naïve to use any story from the media as proof for an argument - "player in the gym at 6 am developing all on his own, this guy outworks which is why he's improved, etc." Ford is the MASTER of coach speak and praising his players in the media/using and or manipulating the media as motivation.

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

hoosier, i am all about coach ford's recruting.   my gosh, no billiken coach in my lifetime has put together the talented roster that he has top to bottom.   and i would not trade that for just about any coach (those that i would trade for arent even reasonable to discuss it is such pie in the sky talk.  ford is that good of a recruiter imo).   but there is no denying he hasnt developed players particularly shooters.   

any shooting gains in his billiken era was pretty much done on their own or with someone else's assistance (thinking of bess and goodwin)  the truth is most of the players are what they are when they arrive.   we will look back on some of these players years from now and just wonder what if.   but again, i will take the talent.   assuming he continues his excellent recruiting, the billikens will always be in the conversation in early march and we wont necessarily be focused on spring training or spring break trips to the beach.  at this point in my fandom, i will take that over starting over again.  god knows our track record of hiring coaches isnt all that stellar as well.   let's keep what we got and hope the very good talent we bring in just gels and we just keep getting better and better players.    

I have no problem with your opinion.  I don't necessarily agree or disagree.  I am not privy to what happens during the summer.  I am settling in on being neutral on Coach Ford.  You have listed all the positives-which does keep be excite. But when we look at results, we have the A10 Tourney Trophy, and then not much more.  Every team had issues this past season, and likely ours were on the most severe side.  You can only use the pandemic as an excuse so many times. At one point I remember reading that more D1 teams had been hit with Covid issues than those that didn't get impacted.   Houston seems to have ridden the storm okay. 

Recruiting is important, or is it?  Look at what Schmidt has done with players almost not recruited by P5 teams. Moser has done pretty well with talent that wasn't on the P5 priority list.  We need players that fit Coach's system.  If they are local, that is okay.  If they are not local, that is okay also.

I agree, no need to make a change, yet.  But I am looking for more and better results soon.

33 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I have no problem with your opinion.  I don't necessarily agree or disagree.  I am not privy to what happens during the summer.  I am settling in on being neutral on Coach Ford.  You have listed all the positives-which does keep be excite. But when we look at results, we have the A10 Tourney Trophy, and then not much more.  Every team had issues this past season, and likely ours were on the most severe side.  You can only use the pandemic as an excuse so many times. At one point I remember reading that more D1 teams had been hit with Covid issues than those that didn't get impacted.   Houston seems to have ridden the storm okay. 

Recruiting is important, or is it?  Look at what Schmidt has done with players almost not recruited by P5 teams. Moser has done pretty well with talent that wasn't on the P5 priority list.  We need players that fit Coach's system.  If they are local, that is okay.  If they are not local, that is okay also.

I agree, no need to make a change, yet.  But I am looking for more and better results soon.

plan A - get the best GD players in the world and roll the balls out.

plan B - find some hard working high character guys with the best basketball mind in the world to coach them. 

the truth is most coaches fall somewhere in between.   and the trick is that it is tough to find the right mix.   

HoosierPal likes this

42 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Ford took us from the cellar to top 4 in the conference.  His entire tenure has been incrementally "more and better results."  The trendline has us as a top 2 team in the very near future.  That's what most success stories look like -- long and boring.

Billiken Rich and kappy96 like this

2 hours ago, Littlebill said:

Yeah a lot of this is baseless complaining just for the sake of complaining

It also seems to be a lot of “yeah but that doesn’t count.”

When a player improves people are saying the player did it on his own. 
When a player doesn’t improve people are blaming the coach.  That’s a tough spot to be in. 

As for French and FT’s I don’t think any coach would have fixed that. 
Psychologist....Maybe

Coach...no chance

ACE and cgeldmacher like this

51 minutes ago, dlarry said:

It also seems to be a lot of “yeah but that doesn’t count.”

When a player improves people are saying the player did it on his own. 
When a player doesn’t improve people are blaming the coach.  That’s a tough spot to be in. 

100%.  Shooting is the hardest thing to improve through simple coaching.  Who is the player the Rick turned into a great shooter?  Who is the player that Spoon or Grawer turned into a great shooter?  Guys are usually good shooters or they are not.  If a player only improves their shot from hours of extra work, how do we know that Ford wasn't the one who was motivating Goodwin to put that work in?

As far as overall development, the guy I would point to right now is Hargrove.  He didn't know how to play offense or defense when he arrived.  The basketball knowledge he brought with him from high school plus $3.50 could buy you a Happy Meal.  I think he's going to have a breakout year next season.  There's no way anyone can look at that situation and not credit Ford and the coaching staff.

dlarry likes this

37 minutes ago, wgstl said:

No thank you. 

If we weren't so deep at the wing I'd find Watson tempting.  Such a weird case because he tried to completely change his style in college.  He was a slasher with an inconsistent jump shot in high school who excelled because he's got length and athleticism.  In college he's relegated himself to a spot up shooter and been inconsistent.  With our current roster he's not worth taking over a Hargrove or Strickland

brianstl likes this

3 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Watson has had one of the most disappointing careers so far.  Should have been so much more.

Most perimeter players with holes in their offensive game should go mid-major out of high school.  Bigs are still big.  Smalls get exposed very quickly.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

CBFan and brianstl like this