Transfers - 2021

ACE

2 hours ago, slufanskip said:

Did you take heat or did people just disagree with you regarding Yuri? You call it speaking the truth, but isn't it really just your opinion. 

Ah yes. Brian, the Yuri Train police officer checking in to approve my word choices only about him. 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Ah yes. Brian, the Yuri Train police officer checking in to approve my word choices only about him. 

I'm not Brian. However, you literally say "I take heat for speaking the truth"  Maybe you meant I take heat for having a different or lesser opinion of others. It's not the truth, it's your opinion

1 minute ago, kshoe said:

Only team playing out of that group is giving him a nice sales pitch

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

I'm not Brian. However, you literally say "I take heat for speaking the truth"  Maybe you meant I take heat for having a different or lesser opinion of others. It's not the truth, it's your opinion

The reality is that most people think their opinions are the truth!

slufanskip likes this

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

This next season should tell us a lot about Yurimania. If he can score at around 10-12 per game and his assists don't suffer, you have to consider him a better than average PG. 

Depends on if Goodwin returns.  We could be looking at a starting lineup of Okoro, Perkins, Goodwin and a combo guard to be named later.  The chances of Yuri averaging double figures as the 5th option is practically none.

12 minutes ago, slu72 said:

This next season should tell us a lot about Yurimania. If he can score at around 10-12 per game and his assists don't suffer, you have to consider him a better than average PG. 

As a pass first PG, I see Yuri as better than average PG now.  As far as numbers, would like to see him average 8 to 10 points a game next year, no more than 2 turnovers, 7 or 8 assists and plays good defense.  This assumes Ford brings in another established scorer, Okoro is equal to French and a couple of our young players make a jump in production.  Yuri does NOT have to be a scorer to be a top-notch player.  Everybody does not have to be a scorer on a TEAM for the TEAM to be outstanding.

Need Yuri to be a credible threat to hit from 3. He does that they can't sag off covering him on D it opens passing lanes.  Seemed like he took a few more at the end of the season.

He does that with his feel for passing he becomes real dangerous and our offense will click better. 

BilliesBy40 and Slowry like this

5 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Need Yuri to be a credible threat to hit from 3. He does that they can't sag off covering him on D it opens passing lanes.  Seemed like he took a few more at the end of the season.

He does that with his feel for passing he becomes real dangerous and our offense will click better. 

Be nice but the player the Bills need to get going big time from 3 next season IMO is Gibson Jimerson.

AGB91 likes this

15 minutes ago, slu72 said:

He was 10th in D1 in assists. Of the 9 above him only 2 were even in the top 50 in a/to ratio

Kendric Davis at 4/10 - Jr

Jason Preston 6/40 - Jr

Yuri Collins 10/18 - Soph

Yuri was clearly hampered the last few maybe 5/6 games. I'd like to see him become more efficient offensively getting his 3% to the 35% range next year and his f/t needs to be 75%+. Ideally he could double his shots. 

However, imo if his scoring never gets better than it is now he's a better than average pg. If he could get to 10+ ppg and duplicate his assists and a/to ratio he's an all conference player

YC was 7/29 from 3PT last season.   That's not a threat,  I'm not advocating he displace GJ as our primary outside shooter but just be a player the opposition can't sleep on.  He only took more than 2 3PA in 4 games last year.  Need him to hit about 35% taking 3 or more attempts in every game.  Like Skip said. Then he'd be real dangerous and our offense will click.

2 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

YC was 7/29 from 3PT last season.   That's not a threat,  I'm not advocating he displace GJ as our primary outside shooter but just be a player the opposition can't sleep on.  He only took more than 2 3PA in 4 games last year.  Need him to hit about 35% taking 3 or more attempts in every game.  Like Skip said. Then he'd be real dangerous and our offense will click.

I doubt Yuri gets more than 7 shots a game if Goodwin comes back or Gibson gets his mojo back.  Expecting 40% of Yuri's shots to come from 3 point range isn't realistic.  That's not who he is.

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

He was 10th in D1 in assists. Of the 9 above him only 2 were even in the top 50 in a/to ratio

Kendric Davis at 4/10 - Jr

Jason Preston 6/40 - Jr

Yuri Collins 10/18 - Soph

Yuri was clearly hampered the last few maybe 5/6 games. I'd like to see him become more efficient offensively getting his 3% to the 35% range next year and his f/t needs to be 75%+. Ideally he could double his shots. 

However, imo if his scoring never gets better than it is now he's a better than average pg. If he could get to 10+ ppg and duplicate his assists and a/to ratio he's an all conference player

It’s not a coincidence those other 2 guys will play in the NBA. You’re right about his all-conference potential, and he’s an all-American at 15 ppg. Not saying it will happen, but it seems some fans underrate how good Yuri is today and how high his ceiling is.

slufanskip likes this

2 hours ago, BilliesBy40 said:

It’s not a coincidence those other 2 guys will play in the NBA. You’re right about his all-conference potential, and he’s an all-American at 15 ppg. Not saying it will happen, but it seems some fans underrate how good Yuri is today and how high his ceiling is.

It's also not a coincidence that those other 2 guys are the first option on offense.  The only opportunity that Yuri will have to be the first or second option on offense is after next year's seniors graduate.

BilliesBy40 likes this

imo yuri's legend (or not) depends on ford ever running.   we play fast, he will be a legend.  we dont, he is a slight upgrade of dwayne polk.  all up to ford. 

HenryB and Schasz like this

4 hours ago, A10Ref said:

Only team playing out of that group is giving him a nice sales pitch

He talked to Missouri and Florida today.  Believe it or not K State gave a great recruiting pitch lol.

Guess I should have read the article 1st 😁.

I believe that's his six in order of interest from what I am hearing.

Edited by Coach314
cgeldmacher and NH like this

3 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

He talked to Missouri and Florida today.  Believe it or not K State gave a great recruiting pitch lol.

I know K-State is a common joke on this board, but they were a completely different team the 2nd half of the season. Lowery does a great job recruiting Missouri. We would be wise not to dismiss them. I’m not trying to be a K-State apologist here. Just being honest.

brianstl likes this

1 hour ago, Reinert310 said:

I know K-State is a common joke on this board, but they were a completely different team the 2nd half of the season. Lowery does a great job recruiting Missouri. We would be wise not to dismiss them. I’m not trying to be a K-State apologist here. Just being honest.

But what does he do with those players?....... lose.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

imo yuri's legend (or not) depends on ford ever running.   we play fast, he will be a legend.  we dont, he is a slight upgrade of dwayne polk.  all up to ford. 

Hard to believe 3 people good posted that. Except for their size they aren’t even remotely the same type of player. Yuri is a true pass first point guard who makes everyone else better. 10th in the country in assists with an almost 3/1 assist to t/o rate. Could he be more effective if we pushed the tempo more? Sure. But a slight upgrade from Dwayne Polk is maybe imo one of the least accurate statements made on the board in years.

Dwayne Polk was a 2 guard who couldn’t shoot in a pg body. Did Polk ever average 3 assists a game? a 1.5/1 assist to t/o ratio? 

NH, stmdragons, AGB91 and 1 other like this

14 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

NM

you guy sure didnt pay attention to the 2 yuri's last year.   one yuri led pre pause when the billikens played fast on both ends of the floor and one that walked the ball down the floor and allowed opponents out court freedom each game.   his turnovers were up, his scoring was down, he was shell of what he was the first half.  

yes we have seen a very exciting yuri collins.   but when the team is forced to slow the pace, his effectiveness goes down.   

we all want the first yuri and know it is there.   but the style of play ford seems to prefer doesnt go along with collins attributes imo and if that continues the rest of yuri's career he wont be the legend we all know he can be.   now if you cant see the aspect of underachievement as my comparison vehicle by using the polk illustration, sorry you arent observant enough to understand.   i'm not knocking collins as much as disagreeing completely with the way our coach plays the game.   

5 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

But what does he do with those players?....... lose.

He went to an Elite 8 with 2 kids from St. Louis and a kid from Kansas City. Yes, the last 2 years have been bad. But if you actually paid attention this year (I did because 1 of my best friends is a big K-State guy), they were playing significantly better basketball the 2nd half of the season. Again, I’m a Billikens fan 1st and foremost. I want what’s best for our team. But saying that all K-State has done with local players is lose, or that they aren’t a threat to us in recruiting, is just not accurate.