Transfers - 2021

ACE

2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Cone is interesting, some decent stats, but do you think we can put two players 6' or shorter out there at the same time for much of the game?

If no one transfers, which per Stu is today's status, we have three openings.  Need some scorers for sure, but I am concerned about covering the boards next season.  We are losing 17.5 rpg.  Okoro/Linssen/Bell can't make that up. 

Cone could put up some crazy offensive numbers in the A10.  

On the rebounding side, you won't be able to completely replace Goodwin and French, but in conference play Fred Thatch averaged 9.5 rebounds per 40 minutes compared to Goodwin's 11.5.  Not Goodwin's level, but better than what SLU is going to find on the market right now..  Okoro over his career has averaged 9 rebounds per 40 minutes compared to French's  11.2.  We are losing some rebounding, but I don't think the drop is going to be as dramatic as most people think.

RUBillsFan likes this

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, brianstl said:

On the rebounding side, you won't be able to completely replace Goodwin and French, but in conference play Fred Thatch averaged 9.5 rebounds per 40 minutes compared to Goodwin's 11.5.  Not Goodwin's level, but better than what SLU is going to find on the market right now..  Okoro over his career has averaged 9 rebounds per 40 minutes compared to French's  11.2.  We are losing some rebounding, but I don't think the drop is going to be as dramatic as most people think.

If the offense hits more shots there is less need for a few of those rebounds.

RUBillsFan likes this

6 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Cone looks pretty similar to Tay Weaver.  Under 6 foot, shoots a ton of 3s at a decent but not elite clip, doesn't shoot many twos, doesn't have a ton of assists or turnovers.  Is that a fair comparison or is that selling Cone short (no pun intended)?

Weaver was definitely a useful player and I'm always down for more shooting.  I do think that we could have defensive problems playing Cone and Yuri together though.

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Cone is interesting, some decent stats, but do you think we can put two players 6' or shorter out there at the same time for much of the game?

If no one transfers, which per Stu is today's status, we have three openings.  Need some scorers for sure, but I am concerned about covering the boards next season.  We are losing 17.5 rpg.  Okoro/Linssen/Bell can't make that up. 

If one of those guards is averaging 15 ppg and is the best combination of ballhandling and shooting on the team, yeah.   Cone was relegated to instant offense off the bench at VTech when he's capable  of more than that.  Probably why he's leaving.

brianstl likes this

4 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Cone looks pretty similar to Tay Weaver.  Under 6 foot, shoots a ton of 3s at a decent but not elite clip, doesn't shoot many twos, doesn't have a ton of assists or turnovers.  Is that a fair comparison or is that selling Cone short (no pun intended)?

Weaver was definitely a useful player and I'm always down for more shooting.  I do think that we could have defensive problems playing Cone and Yuri together though.

Take a look at some of Cone’s stat lines, including against ACC teams. It’s seems a comparison to Weaver is selling him short.

52 minutes ago, brianstl said:

McKissic, Madsen, Cone and Chris Shelton from Hampton.  I'm sure their are more, but those four all have interest in SLU.  Cone was the guy I was talking about a couple weeks ago in this thread as having interest in SLU, but his team was still playing and he hadn't announced anything yet.

49% from 3 this year. Looks like he only averaged 2 attempts per game but I like. 71% from FT so he'd fit in nicely with this squad. Don't know anything about Cone  other than a brief glance at his stats on ESPN but I've got a good feeling about this kid. Student section could have a Cone Zone. I have a feeling the McKissic ship has sailed.

19 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Take a look at some of Cone’s stat lines, including against ACC teams. It’s seems a comparison to Weaver is selling him short.

That's probably true.  Comparing just Cone's soph year to Weaver and not factoring in strength of schedule, they look pretty similar to me.  Obviously you are right though Cone should get more credit for doing it against ACC teams.

2 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

That's probably true.  Comparing just Cone's soph year to Weaver and not factoring in strength of schedule, they look pretty similar to me.  Obviously you are right though Cone should get more credit for doing it against ACC teams.

Just look at Cone's highlight reel from his freshman year and you'll see how he easily he creates space with his dribble.  We don't have anybody on the team who is adept at that.

18 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

49% from 3 this year. Looks like he only averaged 2 attempts per game but I like. 71% from FT so he'd fit in nicely with this squad. Don't know anything about Cone  other than a brief glance at his stats on ESPN but I've got a good feeling about this kid. Student section could have a Cone Zone. I have a feeling the McKissic ship has sailed.

Shelton averaged 5.5 3pa per game and made 2.7 a game.  Dude is high volume and high percentage 3 point shooting.

3 hours ago, Pistol said:

Former SLU recruits in the transfer portal, updated. Current school in parentheses, followed by next year's class status and expected remaining eligibility, including COVID bonus year.

Had an offer from SLU at some point:
Madut Akec (South Florida) - Junior, 3 Years
Christian Brown (Georgia) - Junior, 3 Years

Nimari Burnett (Texas Tech) - Sophomore, 4 Years
Michael Christmas (James Madison) - Junior, 3 Years
Cam'Ron Fletcher (Kentucky) - Sophomore, 4 Years
DaJuan Gordon (K-State) - Junior, 3 Years
Elijah Joiner (Tulsa) - Grad Transfer, 1 Year
Jamal Mashburn, Jr. (Minnesota) - Sophomore, 4 Years
Ismael Massoud (Wake Forest) - Junior, 3 Years
Markquis Nowell (Little Rock) - Senior, 2 Years
Mickey Pearson (TCU) - Sophomore, 4 Years
Xavier Pinson (Mizzou) - Senior, 2 Years
Joseph Reece (Old Dominion) - Senior, 2 Years
Jared Ridder (Missouri State) - Senior, 2 Years
KyKy Tandy (Xavier) - Junior, 3 Years
Symir Torrence (Marquette) - Junior, 3 Years
Qudus Wahab (Georgetown) - Junior, 3 Years
Dallas Watson (Saint Peter's) - Senior, 2 Years
Aaron Wheeler (Purdue) - Senior, 2 Years
Keshawn Williams (Tulsa) - Freshman, 4 Years
Wyatt Yess (Yale) - Grad Transfer, 1-2 Years (Yale didn't play this season)

Had SLU interest at some point:
Lenell Henry (Prairie View A&M) - Grad Transfer, 1 Year
Tray Hollowell (Wofford) - Grad Transfer, 1 Year
Cooper Neese (Indiana State) - Senior, 2 Years
Rashad Weekly-McDaniels (Central Michigan) - Sophomore, 4 Years

Others that have been contacted by SLU:
Donovan Clay (Valpo) - Junior, 3 Years
Mason Madsen (Cincinnati) - Sophomore, 4 Years
Brandon McKissic (Kansas City) - Grad Transfer, 1 Year

thanks

12 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Shelton averaged 5.5 3pa per game and made 2.7 a game.  Dude is high volume and high percentage 3 point shooting.

Boy is my face red I was looking at his 2019-2020 attempts but 2020-2021 3P%. Wow wow wow that certainly is high volume and an insane shooting percentage.

Prep the monkeys* and have Dr. Chaifetz open a Gemini account for Mr. Shelton ASAP!

*The monkeys are a good thing, yeah? Do they deliver the briefcase? I can't remember...

34 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Strength of schedule is extremely relevant though, especially in this case. For example, Weaver's only games in double figures as a Sophomore were against SEMO (15), Tennessee State (14), UT-Martin (12), and Belmont (14). Cone had the following totals as a Sophomore: Duke (14), Notre Dame (18), Louisville (23), Miami (12), Longwood (18), Coppin State (18), and Penn State (11). Notably, these performances all occurred in Va Tech's first 9 games. 

Weaver was a nice bench piece. Cone is a potential all-A10 player.

RUBillsFan likes this

24 minutes ago, brianstl said:

He finished 10th ITN in 3P%....His 3PM were around double the 9 players ahead of him....77% of his shots are 3s.

If you are looking for a 3pt guy ....Here he is.

31 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Boy is my face red I was looking at his 2019-2020 attempts but 2020-2021 3P%. Wow wow wow that certainly is high volume and an insane shooting percentage.

Prep the monkeys* and have Dr. Chaifetz open a Gemini account for Mr. Shelton ASAP!

*The monkeys are a good thing, yeah? Do they deliver the briefcase? I can't remember...

Word has gotten out on the monkeys.  There were some questionable people looming. We don't want them to end up like this 

Ahhh Dessert - Bing video

George Mason's Jordan Miller enters the portal. 6'6 guard, A-10 3rd team, averaged 15.1 and 6.1 boards. Will be an excellent pick-up for someone. Count in the portal reaches 896.

1 minute ago, Taj79 said:

Jordan Miller and Javon Greene have been the heart and soul of that team the last two years.  Both will be excellent portal pickups.

As will All-Rookie team member, Tyler Kolek.

Kansas is expecting a decision this weekend from one of their other combo guard targets, transfer Tyson Walker.  So follow the strategy: Self offers McKissic first, sensing that he could get an early commitment.  Then he puts Brandon in the queue, calls Walker and says I need an answer by this weekend or we'll have to offer the spot to someone else.  Well played.

cgeldmacher and STL0508 like this