Transfers - 2021

ACE

5 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Self is trying to end this recruitment early to focus on bigger fish.  KU is still in the hunt for a 5 star guard (Hunter Sallis) and high 4 star guard (recent Creighton decommit TyTy Washington).

How long can Self avoid the feds and the NCAA?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

He's been told 20-25 minutes a game.

Brandon wants to continue playing basketball after college.  At the moment he sees the way to do that is by playing Overseas.  He also wants to play for a team that has a chance to make it to the tournament.  He's very basketball savvy.  He knows minutes will vary depending on which team he goes to.  Playing close to home is one factor but he's looking for the best fit.  SLU is in the mix but other teams are showing more interest.  As of last night Brandon had heard from Tate but not Ford.  Bill Self has called him...talked to him about minutes and set up a zoom meeting for today with Brandon and his parents.  Talked to Mike Rhoades as well.  If Levi returns that could be a bonus.  Brandon and Levi have played AAU together.

Thanks for the update. I've been a fan of Brandon's for eight years now so hope he picks whatever school is the best fit for him, though I also hope that ends up being SLU. I am not too concerned that Ford hasn't reached out yet given that Brandon doesn't seem to be in a major rush and already knows the staff and the players.

I imagine it's a difficult position for a coaching staff to manage giving expectations to a transfer when there are probably guys currently on the roster who could be deciding whether or not to transfer. Difficult balancing act.

4 minutes ago, NH said:

Thanks for the update. I've been a fan of Brandon's for eight years now so hope he picks whatever school is the best fit for him, though I also hope that ends up being SLU. I am not too concerned that Ford hasn't reached out yet given that Brandon doesn't seem to be in a major rush and already knows the staff and the players.

I imagine it's a difficult position for a coaching staff to manage giving expectations to a transfer when there are probably guys currently on the roster who could be deciding whether or not to transfer. Difficult balancing act.

True.  But Brandon is now aware he doesn't have as long as he thought he would to make a decision.  

11 minutes ago, Franchise_08 said:

Does anyone know if McKissic would have transferred mid season to SLU, if there was a scholarship available? I know he almost left KC in December.

No, we played the whole season with every scholarship accounted for.

5 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

True.  But Brandon is now aware he doesn't have as long as he thought he would to make a decision.  

You mean not as long making a decision with SLU or just in general?

In other words, I would figure SLU is also pursuing a variety of options... as they should. If you wait too long on one recruit to make a decision, you may be losing out on some other really good options who are making decisions on quicker timelines.

McKissic clearly has no shortage of solid options, but I feel Ford and SLU will also have a number of good player options as well - the kid from UC being one that we've already heard about.

billiken_roy likes this

15 minutes ago, ACE said:

You mean not as long making a decision with SLU or just in general?

In other words, I would figure SLU is also pursuing a variety of options... as they should. If you wait too long on one recruit to make a decision, you may be losing out on some other really good options who are making decisions on quicker timelines.

McKissic clearly has no shortage of solid options, but I feel Ford and SLU will also have a number of good player options as well - the kid from UC being one that we've already heard about.

Just in general.  I think he'll make a decision this month.  There's interest from SLU but as you mentioned there could be other players they have rated the same or higher.

17 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Just in general.  I think he'll make a decision this month.  There's interest from SLU but as you mentioned there could be other players they have rated the same or higher.

From what I’ve heard this is not the case. My understanding is that it’s not a matter of other players rated higher moreso just a matter of whether the fit matches up and managing roles for players already on the roster. 

1 hour ago, Coach314 said:

He's been told 20-25 minutes a game.

Brandon wants to continue playing basketball after college.  At the moment he sees the way to do that is by playing Overseas.  He also wants to play for a team that has a chance to make it to the tournament.  He's very basketball savvy.  He knows minutes will vary depending on which team he goes to.  Playing close to home is one factor but he's looking for the best fit.  SLU is in the mix but other teams are showing more interest.  As of last night Brandon had heard from Tate but not Ford.  Bill Self has called him...talked to him about minutes and set up a zoom meeting for today with Brandon and his parents.  Talked to Mike Rhoades as well.  If Levi returns that could be a bonus.  Brandon and Levi have played AAU together.

I've said this before about McKissic - he grew up in my hometown (Ferguson) and starred at my high school (SLUH) at which his coach was an idol of mine as a kid (Claggett).  I hope he chooses SLU as he would instantly be my favorite player on the team based on those things alone, but I also really like his game.  I really just hope he ends up somewhere that #1 he can actually get playing time & not sit on the bench behind bigger name transfers or 5 star recruits who were promised time (cough KU cough) and #2 play somewhere he has a chance to win & make the tournament instead of toiling in mediocrity (cough Mizzou cough).  

Coach314 and Major Majerus like this

1 hour ago, billikenbill said:

First UNC domino falls as Day'Ron Sharpe declares for the draft with no plans to return next year. There may be another transfer I didn't list originally. This is crazy as Carolina has had so few transfers since the Dean Smith era started in '61. On Inside Carolina a post there says they've only had two transfers since then although it left off an obscure player I recall from the 70s, and probably some others. Safe to say they are at risk of having as many departures via the transfer route this year than in any of the previous 60.

This is most certainly false.  UNC has definitely had more than 2 transfers out since 1961.  The Wear twins (David & Travis) played at UNC in 2009-10 before transferring to UCLA for their final 3 seasons.  Larry Drew II played at UNC from 2008-11 before transferring to UCLA for his final season.  After the 2019-20 season Jeremiah Francis transferred to New Mexico and Brandon Huffman transferred to Jacksonville State.  That's 5 guys just looking at last season and thinking of 3 guys off the top of my head from recent memory.  I'm sure they've had others.  That being said, they're probably well below the national average over the last 60 years due to having a couple of very long tenured coaches and frequently having guys leave early for the NBA.

11 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I've said this before about McKissic - he grew up in my hometown (Ferguson) and starred at my high school (SLUH) at which his coach was an idol of mine as a kid (Claggett).  I hope he chooses SLU as he would instantly be my favorite player on the team based on those things alone, but I also really like his game.  I really just hope he ends up somewhere that #1 he can actually get playing time & not sit on the bench behind bigger name transfers or 5 star recruits who were promised time (cough KU cough) and #2 play somewhere he has a chance to win & make the tournament instead of toiling in mediocrity (cough Mizzou cough).  

If he comes to SLU, I'll take back being mad at him for his game winning layup against Webster.

16 minutes ago, NH said:

From what I’ve heard this is not the case. My understanding is that it’s not a matter of other players rated higher moreso just a matter of whether the fit matches up and managing roles for players already on the roster. 

I've heard something similar in regards to managing roles.  

That's why I mentioned the player from the 70s, "and probably some others." I don't follow Carolina basketball at all, but a friend who has a lot of contacts in the college basketball world, and despises Carolina, texts me whenever something goes wrong with their program. It's kind of funny to me, but I don't like them either, so I enjoy the stuff he sends. I thought the post on Inside Carolina was inaccurate which is why I added the conditions to it.

9 more enter the portal in the last hour, now up to 822. Watching the portal is kind of a fun thing to do on a day when you're off work.

19 minutes ago, slu72 fan said:

Anyone surprised that no SLU players have declared yet?

Spoke too soon. Carter just tweeted he has received some “not so encouraging” SLU news. I’m guessing this means a transfer is imminent. Of course it could be something else. Perhaps Guy Phillips is retiring (blue font!!)