Transfers - 2021

ACE

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, wgstl said:

Im not sure it will be all that hard to recruit McKissic. As long as he is ok with not being the #1, and playing more than 30 mpg, then good luck on a better fit.

You have to know what he wants to make that statement.  And to his credit, he's keeping that information very close to the vest.

3 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

You have to know what he wants to make that statement.  And to his credit, he's keeping that information very close to the vest.

What im saying is his style fits what we need.  We have friends and family on the team(sorta family with Jgood being gone), family a mile away.  We check so many boxes theres not much else WE can do.  That was my point.  He may simply want to stay away from home, but we can offer almost a complete package.  Him not coming here would be out of our control. 

20 minutes ago, ACE said:

The SLU sales pitch to McKissic is pretty simple. We're losing our 2nd leading scorer, we only have one other returning player who was a double digit scorer, so there are plenty of opportunities to score. Plus, you get to play alongside an effective pass first PG.  You could slide in and be our second double digit scorer, plus we need to strengthen our perimeter defense. There will be plenty of playing time for a player who can deliver those two things. Oh, and your parents can easily watch you play every game in person. 

-isn't he JGood's cousin? I would think JGood could be a very valuable recruiter for us, in this one especially

Just now, Cowboy said:

-isn't he JGood's cousin? I would think JGood could be a very valuable recruiter for us, in this one especially

Yes, and is friends with a few on the team.  The only way we dont get him are for one of these three: Wants to be the #1 on the team, wants 35+ MPG, or just doesn't want to play near home. 

3 minutes ago, wgstl said:

What im saying is his style fits what we need.  We have friends and family on the team(sorta family with Jgood being gone), family a mile away.  We check so many boxes theres not much else WE can do.  That was my point.  He may simply want to stay away from home, but we can offer almost a complete package.  Him not coming here would be out of our control. 

I agree with that.

35 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Per the interview with Frank C, McKissic said he wanted to decide by the end of April, beginning of May. Once the coaching carousel stops spinning my expectation is that open slots will fill quickly. While I admire McKissic having a plan I hope his preferred locations remain open.  

I think anyone that's after him will clear a spot. He seems to be one of the hottest commodities out there. I can't recall whether he played PG at UMKC. 

3 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-my gosh, writing off any team for next season with the unprecedented number of potential players to fill a roster seems out of touch

exactly. be like going away hungry from the Golden Corral. don't have to do year's of recruiting if you just shop @ the portal.

1 hour ago, kshoe said:

I'm no fan of Cuonzo/Mizzou, but he did take over a 10 win or so Kim Andersen team and take them to the NCAA tourney the next year when he was hired. He did it on the promise of playing with Michael Porter Jr., but it was still a major turn-around. This transfer market and available playing time is tailor made for him.

Take McKissic. He may prefer Ford and SLU, but Cuonzo is going to rightly point out that Yuri is the starting PG, Gibson and Thatch are going to play a lot and Perkins is going to take most of the shots.

Also, no chance Cuonzo gets fired after taking a team that was predicted 10th in the SEC into the NCAA tourney.   

The Porters fell into Cuonzo’s lap after Romar got fired at Washington and he hired their dad as an assistant. Not sure you can hire 6 transfers’ dads in this year’s portal. It’s not exactly the same thing. There’s no way he gets fired this year. His contract makes it almost impossible to fire him. But based on all his recruiting at Mizzou, outside of the Porters, I don’t have real high hopes for them replicating this year’s 1st round tournament exit next year.

24 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I agree with all of that, but would add that he would get time at PG as well.

We could have him ask his cousin, JGood, as to how much time he could expect at PG. With the list that's after him, you can't tell me he's gonna rule out SLU because he thinks him minutes are going to be cut down vs say KU. Schools that worry me are VCU, Mizzery, and that sneaky devil, Pitino ("Brandon, do you realize how many guys I've put into the NBA?)

5 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I think anyone that's after him will clear a spot. He seems to be one of the hottest commodities out there. I can't recall whether he played PG at UMKC. 

Please explain. Do you mean run someone off?   So our roster is set by end of April and he wants to come to SLU, who do you cut?

1 minute ago, HoosierPal said:

Please explain. Do you mean run someone off?   So our roster is set by end of April and he wants to come to SLU, who do you cut?

It can mean a few things.  It can also mean take away minutes from a player(s)

You all seem to assume slu wants this young man.   You dont think out of the likely approaching 2,000 players that might transfer there is not a single other combo guard that would check all the boxes ford is looking for that he'd rather have?  I think ill trust Ford on who he wants and gets.

almaman, HenryB, A10Ref and 1 other like this

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

You all seem to assume slu wants this young man.   You dont think out of the likely approaching 2,000 players that might transfer there is not a single other combo guard that would check all the boxes ford is looking for that he'd rather have?  I think ill trust Ford on who he wants and gets.

I think the fact that the staff reached out to him on the first day he was in the portal is a sign that they are interested 

4 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

SLU wants Mr. McKissic. Take it to the bank.

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

It's just the natural reaction of posters wanting someone who a bunch of other people want.  There wasn't nearly this amount of respect by MBMs for his game when we played his squad back in December.

billiken_roy likes this

Just now, 3star_recruit said:

It's just the natural reaction of posters wanting someone who a bunch of other people want.  There wasn't nearly this amount of respect for his game when we played his squad back in December.

Nine more have entered the portal in the past hour. Now up to 813. Regarding McKissic, I think there was a lot of respect for him after the game with KC. He played great after having reduced minutes in the early games for reasons that were not made clear. The only concern I remember having was the fact that he got T'd up at the end of the half, showing a little attitude. Turns out though that, by all accounts, including Cusamano's, he's a great kid. At the end of the interview on Frank's show yesterday, he and his sidekicks were gushing over McKissic in terms of how he answered the questions.

1 hour ago, Littlebill said:

Hearing that he’d get a ton of PT? Not trying to agree or disagree, just trying to make sure I get it

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

Coach, do you have any inside information on what McKissic is looking for in his new team.  Is he just going to go with the biggest name?  Does he want guaranteed playing time?  Does playing in his hometown mean anything to him?

He's been told 20-25 minutes a game.

Brandon wants to continue playing basketball after college.  At the moment he sees the way to do that is by playing Overseas.  He also wants to play for a team that has a chance to make it to the tournament.  He's very basketball savvy.  He knows minutes will vary depending on which team he goes to.  Playing close to home is one factor but he's looking for the best fit.  SLU is in the mix but other teams are showing more interest.  As of last night Brandon had heard from Tate but not Ford.  Bill Self has called him...talked to him about minutes and set up a zoom meeting for today with Brandon and his parents.  Talked to Mike Rhoades as well.  If Levi returns that could be a bonus.  Brandon and Levi have played AAU together.

First UNC domino falls as Day'Ron Sharpe declares for the draft with no plans to return next year. There may be another transfer I didn't list originally. This is crazy as Carolina has had so few transfers since the Dean Smith era started in '61. On Inside Carolina a post there says they've only had two transfers since then although it left off an obscure player I recall from the 70s, and probably some others. Safe to say they are at risk of having as many departures via the transfer route this year than in any of the previous 60.

15 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Brandon wants to continue playing basketball after college.  At the moment he sees the way to do that is by playing Overseas.  He also wants to play for a team that has a chance to make it to the tournament.  He's very basketball savvy.  He knows minutes will vary depending on which team he goes to.  Playing close to home is one factor but he's looking for the best fit.  SLU is in the mix but other teams are showing more interest.  As of last night Brandon had heard from Tate but not Ford.  Bill Self has called him...talked to him about minutes and set up a zoom meeting for today with Brandon and his parents.  Talked to Mike Rhoades as well.  If Levi returns that could be a bonus.  Brandon and Levi have played AAU together.

Thank you coach

2 hours ago, Coach314 said:

Self is trying to end this recruitment early to focus on bigger fish.  KU is still in the hunt for a 5 star guard (Hunter Sallis) and high 4 star guard (recent Creighton decommit TyTy Washington).

I hope Brandon sticks to his guns and waits so he can see the game Self is playing.