Transfers - 2021

ACE

I think a lot players that have hit the transfer portal are going to be shocked at how limited their options to move up a level might actually be.  The portal is already starting to get its share of former 4 star recruits at P6 programs and will even get more as teams get eliminated from post season.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, brianstl said:

I think a lot players that have hit the transfer portal are going to be shocked at how limited their options to move up a level might actually be.  The portal is already starting to get its share of former 4 star recruits at P6 programs and will even get more as teams get eliminated from post season.

Agreed. The only way to stand out will be putting up massive numbers at a smaller school or having pedigree from your original recruitment. For instance, if a player like Markhi Strickland were to transfer I doubt his options would match his skill level because teams are so distracted by other guys in the portal.

17 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Which is why I was never that concerned about unrestricted free agency.  There aren't enough P6 destinations for these kids to go.  You have to prove you're better than the players they already have.  Averaging 10 points a game in the 17th ranked conference isn't going to cut it.

Just read an article on UK's FB page about how Calipari is adjusting to the new normal in recruiting, ie the transfer portal vs HS recruits. He said when he goes after Mickey D All Americans now he's competing against the G league as well as his fellow blue bloods. Sub Text: Cal will seek his remedies in the transfer portal to rebuild UK. It will be interesting to see if he pursues Mitchell of UM, Mashburn of UMinn, and a few others. If he does, I wonder what message will that send to the one and doners who said they're coming back to make up for UK's dumpster fire in 2020. 

11 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Just read an article on UK's FB page about how Calipari is adjusting to the new normal in recruiting, ie the transfer portal vs HS recruits. He said when he goes after Mickey D All Americans now he's competing against the G league as well as his fellow blue bloods. Sub Text: Cal will seek his remedies in the transfer portal to rebuild UK. It will be interesting to see if he pursues Mitchell of UM, Mashburn of UMinn, and a few others. If he does, I wonder what message will that send to the one and doners who said they're coming back to make up for UK's dumpster fire in 2020. 

Cal didn't recruit Mashburn out of high school and I don't think Mashburn has done anything since then to change Cal's opinion about him.  I would love a gut like Mashburn here but he doesn't move the needle at a place like Kentucky.  Mitchell is probably a different story.

So add Joe Reece as another former SLU offer in the portal. Others:

Ismael Massoud (Wake Forest) - Junior, 3 Years
Christian Brown (Georgia) - Junior, 3 Years
Joe Reece (Old Dominion) - Senior, 2 Years

I want to add to this discussion the fact that when we land transfers, they're rarely guys we recruited previously. Just interesting to track, especially when they're locals.

2 hours ago, Franchise_08 said:

The amount of talent available is unprecedented. Why even look at high schoolers this recruiting season?

I believe Coach Ford and his staff did the math months ago and came to the same conclusion.  There are about 80 high major schools.  Say each of them has two open scholarships in the spring.  That's 160 slots.  Where do other 1400 kids in the portal go if they want to play D-1 ball?  Mid-majors or lower.  There's no place else for them to go.

I agree that this system could benefit mid majors as much as it is a detriment to them.  However, my issue with this occurring is the lack of continuity for programs. Kentucky chooses to have terrible continuity of its players.  Sometimes that works and sometimes, like this year, it bites them.  Their systems of constant turnover of their players turns off some of their fan base.

The new system of unlimited transfers, if that is what is happening, will force that continuity issue that Kentucky chooses to have on all programs.  That's what I don't like about it.

36 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I agree that this system could benefit mid majors as much as it is a detriment to them.  However, my issue with this occurring is the lack of continuity for programs. Kentucky chooses to have terrible continuity of its players.  Sometimes that works and sometimes, like this year, it bites them.  Their systems of constant turnover of their players turns off some of their fan base.

The new system of unlimited transfers, if that is what is happening, will force that continuity issue that Kentucky chooses to have on all programs.  That's what I don't like about it.

I think increasing roster turnover will slowly erode fan interest. The die-hards like us will always follow, but it will become increasingly difficult to grow attached to players over the course of four years. I think continuity is important. Also, part of the fun is developing a hate for opposing players. For example, I'm disappointed I won't get to hate on Fatts one more year.

billiken_roy likes this

2 hours ago, ACE said:

I think increasing roster turnover will slowly erode fan interest. The die-hards like us will always follow, but it will become increasingly difficult to grow attached to players over the course of four years. I think continuity is important. Also, part of the fun is developing a hate for opposing players. For example, I'm disappointed I won't get to hate on Fatts one more year.

That was never going to happen because he wasn't staying 5 years at Rhode Island.  Goodwin loves it here and he's not staying 5 years either.

2 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

That was never going to happen because he wasn't staying 5 years at Rhode Island.  Goodwin loves it here and he's not staying 5 years either.

For a player and young man that absolutely got screwed by Saint Louis University, I think it's cool that he moved on and did what he did. 

Billiken Rich likes this

2 hours ago, ACE said:

Who said anything about 5 years?

You used Fatts as an example.  If he were to return to Rhode Island that would be a fifth year.

The way unrestricted free agency is playing out is kids are leaving meh situations.  Where are the examples of star players from successful mid-major programs transferring before they've put their four years in?  I still haven't seen any.

2 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

You used Fatts as an example.  If he were to return to Rhode Island that would be a fifth year.

The way unrestricted free agency is playing out is kids are leaving meh situations.  Where are the examples of star players from successful mid-major programs transferring before they've put their four years in?  I still haven't seen any.

Why does it matter if they are "successful" programs or not? If Tre Mitchell or Battle, as examples, stay at their respective schools as upperclassmen, they are that much more likely to turn those into "successful" programs in their final two seasons.  Now that task becomes that much more difficult for mid major coaches.

We're going off on a tangent now, but my primary point was a theory that a further lack of continuity will slowly erode fan interest in college basketball - agreeing with a point cd was making in his post. 

bauman likes this

2 hours ago, ACE said:

Why does it matter if they are "successful" programs or not? If Tre Mitchell or Battle, as examples, stay at their respective schools as upperclassmen, they are that much more likely to turn those into "successful" programs in their final two seasons.  Now that task becomes that much more difficult for mid major coaches.

We're going off on a tangent now, but my primary point was a theory that a further lack of continuity will slowly erode fan interest in college basketball - agreeing with a point cd was making in his post. 

Because the fact that they've been there two years and they are nowhere near a tournament bid has a lot to do with why these kids are leaving.  This is the generation of instant gratification, when it comes to many areas of life, not just in basketball.  Again, you don't see the stars from successful programs bailing, do you?  They're having their emotional needs met.  All kids like Tre Mitchell kid get is message board chatter saying they're soft and don't work hard enough.

3 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Because the fact that they've been there two years and they are nowhere near a tournament bid has a lot to do with why these kids are leaving.  This is the generation of instant gratification, when it comes to many areas of life, not just in basketball.  Again, you don't see the stars from successful programs bailing, do you?  They're having their emotional needs met.  All kids like Tre Mitchell kid get is message board chatter saying they're soft and don't work hard enough.

Oh, I totally agree with why it is happening, I'm just of the opinion it's not a good thing to enable that mindset. And I believe an unintended consequence is that it will chip away at fan interest.

Hypothetically, if Mitchell and those underclassmen are patient and stick together, I think they have a good chance to become a "successful" program as upperclassmen. Pretty tough to build a successful mid major program when everyone is so quick to bail. The good mid majors in recent years have hard continuity and experience. It will become much more difficult now to follow that blueprint.

bauman likes this

2 hours ago, ACE said:

Oh, I totally agree with why it is happening, I'm just of the opinion it's not a good thing to enable that mindset. And I believe an unintended consequence is that it will chip away at fan interest.

Hypothetically, if Mitchell and those underclassmen are patient and stick together, I think they have a good chance to become a "successful" program as upperclassmen. Pretty tough to build a successful mid major program when everyone is so quick to bail. The good mid majors in recent years have hard continuity and experience. It will become much more difficult now to follow that blueprint.

The blueprint that longer builds will have to follow is a "no stars" model, predicated on stingy defense and sharing the ball a la Loyola before their Final Four run.  Four or five players averaging between 9 and 12 points a game instead of showcasing a 17 ppg guy that has a legitimate shot of moving up after two years. 

28 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

The blueprint that longer builds will have to follow is a "no stars" model, predicated on stingy defense and sharing the ball a la Loyola before their Final Four run.  Four or five players averaging between 9 and 12 points a game instead of showcasing a 17 ppg guy that has a legitimate shot of moving up after two years. 

Yep, and IMO that's unfortunate. Fewer paths to team success is not good for the game.