Transfers - 2021

ACE

9 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

And losing one of our best on perimeter D. McK would be a great one year add

Goodwin did a lot of things well on D - great with steals and of course rebounding, but it seemed he would get beat quite a bit off the dribble by quicker guards. I always felt he was better suited guarding the other team's 3, as opposed to their 2.

AGB91 likes this

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, ACE said:

Goodwin did a lot of things well on D - great with steals and of course rebounding, but it seemed he would get beat quite a bit off the dribble by quicker guards. I always felt he was better suited guarding the other team's 3, as opposed to their 2.

Seems he read screens wrong a lot. Felt he always went under the screen against a shooter, and over the screen on a slasher too much

The idea that our D against the 3 goes against the stats. I think we had some bad moments coming out of Covid but overall we gave up just 20.6 attempts per game with a 33.3% made rate. We gave up 6.9 made 3’s per game which is not bad. 

The 2 losses out of Covid we gave up 20 3’s on 46 attempts. 

I agree with those who feel we got beat off the dribble too easily at times, but I think part of that is philosophy more than it is individual personnel. We have an elite rim protector in French (and Bell) which allowed our guards to be more aggressive on the ball. In my opinion Goodwin, Thatch and Yuri are all very strong on-ball defenders.

I do think that when we came back from the COVID pause, we weren’t physically prepared to play as aggressively on the perimeter as we wanted to. 

8 minutes ago, JettFlight5 said:

Former SLU recruit Jamal Mashburn Jr. is in the portal from Minnesota. 

put up 18 on ohio state in the tournament and 16 on illinois earlier in the year as a freshman... This dude will be a coveted transfer with 3 years of eligibility.

8 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

It will get to the point, sometime after the tourney's are over, where it will be a shorter list of those NOT entering the portal.  569 showing on Verbal Commits Transfer list right now.

Whoa. That's like 100 new names per day this week.

39 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

yup... forgot this year didn't count... wow he's going to be recruited by EVERYONE

I struggle to wrap my head around the fact that Jimerson is headed into Freshman Year #3.  Thatch is headed into his Sophomore Year #3 next year.

An interesting question that I have not seen asked (and I do not want to disrupt the thread) is to try and figure out how long Thatch plays for....I hope 3 more years.

Former SLU recruits in the transfer portal, updated. Current school in parentheses, followed by next year's class status and expected remaining eligibility, including COVID bonus year.

Had an offer from SLU at some point:
Nimari Burnett (Texas Tech) - Sophomore, 4 Years
Michael Christmas (James Madison) - Junior, 3 Years
Cam'Ron Fletcher (Kentucky) - Sophomore, 4 Years
Elijah Joiner (Tulsa) - Grad Transfer, 1 Year
Jamal Mashburn, Jr. (Minnesota) - Sophomore, 4 Years
Markquis Nowell (Little Rock) - Senior, 2 Years
KyKy Tandy (Xavier) - Junior, 3 Years
Dallas Watson (Saint Peter's) - Senior, 2 Years
Wyatt Yess (Yale) - Grad Transfer, 1-2 Years (Yale didn't play this season)

Had SLU interest at some point:
Ron Artest, III (CSU-Northridge) - Senior, 2 Years
Donovan Clay (Valpo) - Junior, 3 Years
Tray Hollowell (Wofford) - Grad Transfer, 1 Year
Cooper Neese (Indiana State) - Senior, 2 Years

We didn't really recruit Donovan Clay out of HS, but both are worth including. I've also eliminated players that have committed elsewhere.

I may have missed names, so keep them coming as you see new ones pop up or if you notice any omissions.

Burnett is reportedly down to 5 schools - Oregon, USC, Alabama, Illinois, and Vanderbilt - so no chance there.

I'm seeing a lot of names tied to Fletcher. Just shared a photo of him shooting on Mizzou's floor in warmups from earlier this season. He's heard from SLU, Mizzou, UCLA, USC, Memphis, Georgetown, Tennessee, Loyola, San Diego State, Oklahoma State, Marquette, Washington, St. Mary's, and Florida State. FSU is reportedly one of the favorites on his long list.

Tandy heard from Auburn, UNLV, Murray State, Missouri State, and others right after entering the portal. Not sure who or how many are covered by "others". Vandy had some buzz around him, and UK fans are always going to speculate about homegrown talent, although his dad very publicly said if Cal won't start him, he's not going to UK, so I doubt that happens.

Clay picked up a crystal ball prediction for SLU. Not sure who else he might be talking to.

Neese said he's talked to a number of schools but doesn't want to say publicly which ones. He said he likes it at ISU but put his name in the portal to give himself options because of the uncertainty around the coaching change. His teammate Jake LaRavia is heading to Wake Forest.

5 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Burnett is reportedly down to 5 schools - Oregon, USC, Alabama, Illinois, and Vanderbilt - so no chance there.

I'm seeing a lot of names tied to Fletcher. Just shared a photo of him shooting on Mizzou's floor in warmups from earlier this season. He's heard from SLU, Mizzou, UCLA, USC, Memphis, Georgetown, Tennessee, Loyola, San Diego State, Oklahoma State, Marquette, Washington, St. Mary's, and Florida State. FSU is reportedly one of the favorites on his long list.

Tandy heard from Auburn, UNLV, Murray State, Missouri State, and others right after entering the portal. Not sure who or how many are covered by "others". Vandy had some buzz around him, and UK fans are always going to speculate about homegrown talent, although his dad very publicly said if Cal won't start him, he's not going to UK, so I doubt that happens.

Clay picked up a crystal ball prediction for SLU. Not sure who else he might be talking to.

Neese said he's talked to a number of schools but doesn't want to say publicly which ones. He said he likes it at ISU but put his name in the portal to give himself options because of the uncertainty around the coaching change. His teammate Jake LaRavia is heading to Wake Forest.

I was hoping we would get in on LaRavia. 

8 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Pistol - two quick follow ups: where did you see Burnett was down to 5 schools? I read an article a month or so ago that those were the 5 he’d heard from but didn’t see him actually cut down on a list?

On Donavan Clay, the guy who put in the crystal ball didn’t actually have any insider info. So I’m not sure we even know for sure that SLU has reached out to him.