Transfers - 2021

ACE

10 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Fletcher had maturity issue as a freshman in the middle of a pandemic that kept him away from family and while the program he was at had their season fall apart.  I don’t think it is fair to label him a head case because of that. In fact, I am shocked we didn’t see more of it this season.

I wouldn't even necessarily call them maturity issues.  To some degree sure he needs to know when / when not to wear his emotions on his sleeve.  I don't fault him at all for being upset about not getting playing time when Kentucky was losing a bunch of games with the guys who were playing.  I actually give him a ton of credit for staying with Kentucky until the end of the season instead of transferring after Cal threw him under the bus.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I wouldn't even necessarily call them maturity issues.  To some degree sure he needs to know when / when not to wear his emotions on his sleeve.  I don't fault him at all for being upset about not getting playing time when Kentucky was losing a bunch of games with the guys who were playing.  I actually give him a ton of credit for staying with Kentucky until the end of the season instead of transferring after Cal threw him under the bus.

Out of reactions, good post.

12 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

my reflection of coach ford's headcase alert sensor is "He pursued and signed gordon didnt he?"  

gordon was indeed a physical specimen that screamed potential.  but he has been a headcase as far as i saw all the way back to his days at vianney.  didnt get any better at webster.   

imo a college coach is just arrogant enough they always think they are the one coach that can get through to the kid.  

that all said, fletcher indeed is loaded with potential and maybe this is the time my head case sensor is wrong.

i would assume ford weighed the risk/reward and thought it was worth the chance with gordon, i am sure he knew it was a gamble. does fletcher have that kind of upside? is he that big of a known headcase? i certainly dont know. the roster has enough good players imo he does not need to take a gordon like chance

I don't know if it happened to Fletcher, but I think too many of these young recruits have coachs tell them to go to their schools and they can be one and done. Then when it doesnt happen, a player suddenly faces a different reality. Like having to take school seriously, and having to work much harder for success.

billiken_roy likes this

48 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

I don't know if it happened to Fletcher, but I think too many of these young recruits have coachs tell them to go to their schools and they can be one and done. Then when it doesnt happen, a player suddenly faces a different reality. Like having to take school seriously, and having to work much harder for success.

I’d bet money this is what happened to Fletcher and is probably going to happen to Nesbitt next

5 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

@Coach314, do you think Fletcher will have any interest in coming home and being teammates with Russell again?

Seems to me he would be much more interested in playing with Yuri.  And of course a stud big like Okoro, a complementary scorer like Perkins, and a solid overall roster = winning situation.

SLURadioBoy likes this

1 hour ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

I’d bet money this is what happened to Fletcher and is probably going to happen to Nesbitt next

No.  Fletcher was in tears during a game in the midst of Kentucky's losing streak because he wanted to help stop the bleeding but couldn't get on the floor. He's a competitor that's used to winning and felt helpless.  He was never under any illusion of being one and done. 

Most of the Kentucky fanbase thought Cal was wrong for throwing him under the bus. They saw Fletcher's heart was in the right place.  Cal has had nothing but glowing words to say since Fletcher came back from suspension.

NoCoBillsFan likes this

I think we are all putting the cart WAY before the horse on fletcher to the bills stuff, but hell... it’s fun isn’t it?

I would think a kid that could start the season playing for Kentucky could play for us right away.  Didn’t most of these guys play together? Was fletcher that much better than the other stl guys?  Wasn’t Hargrove a borderline 4 star coming out of high school?  I love me some THJ, but he has struggled to find minutes on our team.

1 hour ago, SLURadioBoy said:

@Coach314, do you think Fletcher will have any interest in coming home and being teammates with Russell again?

Having Phil on the squad definitely helps because they are pretty close friends.  If Ford can convince Cam he has as good of a chance of going pro at SLU than anywhere else...I think SLU's chances are as good as anyone else's.

This is just my opinion.  I haven't heard any news at the moment.

1 hour ago, Coach314 said:

Having Phil on the squad definitely helps because they are pretty close friends.  If Ford can convince Cam he has as good of a chance of going pro at SLU than anywhere else...I think SLU's chances are as good as anyone else's.

There is an extremely long list of NBA players / All-Stars who did not go to Blue Blood schools (Curry, Dame, CJ, etc.).  I think there is an argument to be made that if you are good enough / work hard enough it doesn't matter what school you go to AND if you need to grow / develop it is better to go to a school where you'll be given chances to make mistakes & learn while playing instead of sitting behind a couple 5 star recruits.

Does the SEC have an additional requirement on transfers if they transfer to another in-conference school?  Ole Mioss, Mizzou and Miss State are all SECers like Kentucky.

34 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Does the SEC have an additional requirement on transfers if they transfer to another in-conference school?  Ole Mioss, Mizzou and Miss State are all SECers like Kentucky.

I don't know about now but I had a business contact from Nashville that has son that played for Kentucky back in the late 90s. Son could not get along with Pitino and wanted to transfer to Vandy. Could not because of SEC restrictions on transfers. Ended up playing for Florida State.

9 hours ago, Coach314 said:

Appreciate it, @Coach314. If social media is an indicator, it looks like he’s also friends with Yuri and Hargrove. I’m guessing they all played together with the BBE.

12 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

There is an extremely long list of NBA players / All-Stars who did not go to Blue Blood schools (Curry, Dame, CJ, etc.).  I think there is an argument to be made that if you are good enough / work hard enough it doesn't matter what school you go to AND if you need to grow / develop it is better to go to a school where you'll be given chances to make mistakes & learn while playing instead of sitting behind a couple 5 star recruits.

I agree.  Sometimes that allure from high majors is to strong for these young men.  Hopefully Cam takes time to evaluate each option and talks to the right people.  He's a good kid...I wish the best for him.

Just now, Coach314 said:

Sooooo I am now hearing that there's a chance Phil won't be returning.  

This makes some sense. If Phil has an opportunity to play more at another D1 school then it’s hard to fault him for pursuing that. 

billiken_roy likes this