Transfers - 2021

ACE

9 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Hargrove is also an elite athlete who shot the 3 very well this year. Along with GJ, and perkins thats a lot of talent to just assume a guy who never played for 9 win team to just jump in and take their minutes.  Also yes he was a top 60 player, doesnt mean he'll play like it. 

Im not saying I dont want him, in case anyone gets that confused.  I just dont think he'll want to go to a program with several players at that spot. 

I get where you’re coming from for sure. I watched a lot of Fletcher in high school and also most or all of his early season games at UK and definitely think he would get minutes for us right away. Keep in mind he even started for them at one point early in the season before that relationship with Coach Cal started fraying. He, Perkins, Hargrove and Strickland all can play and guard multiple positions. It would definitely be a bit of a logjam with those guys, but you have to roll the dice to make it work if you can. 

Zink likes this

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, NH said:

I get where you’re coming from for sure. I watched a lot of Fletcher in high school and also most or all of his early season games at UK and definitely think he would get minutes for us right away. Keep in mind he even started for them at one point early in the season before that relationship with Coach Cal started fraying. He, Perkins, Hargrove and Strickland all can play and guard multiple positions. It would definitely be a bit of a logjam with those guys, but you have to roll the dice to make it work if you can. 

And while we only have to replace two players, they were responsible for ~60 minutes per game. I highly doubt all those minutes go to two guys next year, much more likely to get distributed across the group. 

5 minutes ago, NH said:

. It would definitely be a bit of a logjam with those guys, but you have to roll the dice to make it work if you can. 

Which is why im not sure he takes another risk since the first one didnt work out.  Likely, he would want to take a conservative approach and go somewhere that doesnt have much at that position 

1 minute ago, 3star_recruit said:

We have not reached the level as a program where we're turning down 6'6 215 lb matchup nightmares if they want to come here.  Especially not one with 4 years of eligibility.

Collins Jimerson/Thatch Perkins Fletcher Okoro would be a very good starting lineup and compete for the A-10 title.  

meerkat, BilliesBy40 and Zink like this

1 minute ago, 3star_recruit said:

We have not reached the level as a program where we're turning down 6'6 215 lb matchup nightmares if they want to come here.  Especially not one with 4 years of eligibility.

You are 100 percent right. We are literally wondering if we make the NCAA with two top Billikens of all time, so I think a high level recruit is always welcome.

22 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Are you saying this because he was a former 70th ranked recruit?  Because we dont have any college tape to go off of. 

It’s not just that. When he did play for Kentucky, he did well. A lot of Kentucky fans were advocating for him to get more time, but it seems like there was a huge rift between him and Calipari. I don’t think his lack of playing time at Kentucky represents who he is as a player. Remember Javon Bess, our star for two season? Look at his stats at Michigan State his freshman year. Very similar to Cam’ron’s 

It also boils down to the fact that recruits of his caliber start for us. Goodwin was a four year starter. Gordon was heavily in the rotation and a starter just before he transferred. Okoro is being lined up as the starting center next year. Obviously he would have to earn the time in practice and a starting role isn’t guaranteed, but to say that he wouldn’t get any PT here and he’d be sitting for a year is outlandish. 

Zink and billiken_roy like this

9 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Exactly. I get that we have quality wing players but Cam’ron is the kind of player you make room for. We’re not exactly in the position to be turning down former 4-stars

1 minute ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

It’s not just that. When he did play for Kentucky, he did well. A lot of Kentucky fans were advocating for him to get more time, but it seems like there was a huge rift between him and Calipari. I don’t think his lack of playing time at Kentucky represents who he is as a player. Remember Javon Bess, our star for two season? Look at his stats at Michigan State his freshman year. Very similar to Cam’ron’s 

It also boils down to the fact that recruits of his caliber start for us. Goodwin was a four year starter. Gordon was heavily in the rotation and a starter just before he transferred. Okoro is being lined up as the starting center next year. Obviously he would have to earn the time in practice and a starting role isn’t guaranteed, but to say that he wouldn’t get any PT here and he’d be sitting for a year is outlandish. 

The only thing with the bess/fletcher comparison is that Izzo begged bess to stay. Cal chased him out on his worst team ever.  To me, that says something 

1 minute ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

Exactly. I get that we have quality wing players but Cam’ron is the kind of player you make room for. We’re not exactly in the position to be turning down former 4-stars

Also I don’t think I’ve heard a single person say we shouldnt go after him 

4 minutes ago, wgstl said:

The only thing with the bess/fletcher comparison is that Izzo begged bess to stay. Cal chased him out on his worst team ever.  To me, that says something 

Considering that Fletcher did well when he actually played, I think that speaks more to his and Cal’s relationship rather than his playing ability

3 things:

1. Cam’Ron was over-ranked coming out of high school. His development trajectory was closer to a top 150-175 player than top 75.

2. Citing his lack of playing time for Kentucky is largely meaningless, but I agree he won’t be a star on day 1 wherever he ends up. BTW, Kentucky finished right behind us on KenPom, so their win total is a bit deceiving.

3. Cam’Ron would be a great addition.

19 minutes ago, Brighton said:

...and guess what, they would still find a way to underachieve thanks to our esteemed gameday coach.

Literally every single post you make on here is negative. If Billikens basketball doesn’t make you happy, maybe you should find a new hobby. Just sayin.

I have not seen Fletcher play. The description of him as a rebounder sounds alot like Goodwin. He has been described as a hard nosed player and rebounder that would seem to fit the Team Blue identity. Fletcher is taller than Goodwin and shot high school free throws at 75%. He was not an accomplished 3 point shooter. Has not been a great ball handler. Is a great athlete. I dont know what led to his suspension at Kentucky, so that causes some concern.    In Ford I trust.

drkelsey55 and billiken_roy like this

3 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

I have not seen Fletcher play. The description of him as a rebounder sounds alot like Goodwin. He has been described as a hard nosed player and rebounder that would seem to fit the Team Blue identity. Fletcher is taller than Goodwin and shot high school free throws at 75%. He was not an accomplished 3 point shooter. Has not been a great ball handler. Is a great athlete. I dont know what led to his suspension at Kentucky, so that causes some concern.    In Ford I trust.

His suspension was due to immaturity and selfishness, not all that uncommon at his age. I wouldn’t worry much about it being an issue long term.

1 hour ago, WVBilliken said:

Evaluation of Fletcher ...... https://tim1coleman.wixsite.com/website/post/kentucky-incoming-freshman-series-cam-ron-fletcher

Kind of sounds like a Goodwin type player with his weakness being his 3 pt shot.  Does most everything else well according to this guy, crashes the boards too.

Except, unlike Goodwin, he's a head case.

6 minutes ago, David King said:

Goodwin got suspended his freshman year, too... 

To be clear, I’m not saying Goodwin is a head case, I’m saying that getting suspended as a young 18 year old doesn’t make you one

53 minutes ago, David King said:

Fletcher had maturity issue as a freshman in the middle of a pandemic that kept him away from family and while the program he was at had their season fall apart.  I don’t think it is fair to label him a head case because of that. In fact, I am shocked we didn’t see more of it this season.

NH likes this

2 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

I think it is safe to say Coach Ford will determine if he is a head case that he doesnt want on the roster or not. Is there any indication on fletcher's part that he wants to be a billiken?

my reflection of coach ford's headcase alert sensor is "He pursued and signed gordon didnt he?"  

gordon was indeed a physical specimen that screamed potential.  but he has been a headcase as far as i saw all the way back to his days at vianney.  didnt get any better at webster.   

imo a college coach is just arrogant enough they always think they are the one coach that can get through to the kid.  

that all said, fletcher indeed is loaded with potential and maybe this is the time my head case sensor is wrong.