Transfers - 2021

ACE

40 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

No reason for Russell to get a scholarship ..... Unless he is the best point guard available.  Which I seriously doubt.

Like I said, I don’t think it’s guaranteed he gets one. It really depends on how everything plays out. I don’t think anyone can really anticipate how crazy this offseason is gonna be. It’s gonna be wild. I’m excited about it. I criticize Coach Ford a lot, but 1 thing that 100% trust him with is recruiting. I have no doubt that no matter what happens, we’ll end up in the + column.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

Like I said, I don’t think it’s guaranteed he gets one. It really depends on how everything plays out. I don’t think anyone can really anticipate how crazy this offseason is gonna be. It’s gonna be wild. I’m excited about it. I criticize Coach Ford a lot, but 1 thing that 100% trust him with is recruiting. I have no doubt that no matter what happens, we’ll end up in the + column.

With the caveat of limited minutes, I saw nothing from Russell to make me believe he can be a contributor at the top tier of the A10. 

39 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

So just say eff em? That’s certainly an interesting strategy. 

I do not care how many athletes in the area snub SLU keeping good relationships with all area schools is important.

I agree with you about Vashon one of these days Ford will get one of those players and maybe Fletcher the will the one.

44 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

So just say eff em? That’s certainly an interesting strategy. 

No that is not what I saying.  But, you do not give a scholarship to an ex-Vashon player just to keep the Vashon coaching staff and players happy.  The player receiving it must project as a key contributor, a "player".

If Russell has the potential to succeed Yuri as lead point guard in Ford and his staff's opinion, then give him a scholarship.  I would be very surprised if the Staff sees him that way. If not, then do everything possible to keep him as a walk on.  Or help him find a school where he might fit, like was likely done for Diarra.

I'm just a fan, what do I know?   But pretty sure SLU recruits players they think can become starters or key rotation players.  There are only 13 scholarships and so two true point guards is likely the absolute maximum  number on the squad.  Seems to me, there is no room for roster charity.

billiken_roy likes this

5 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

No that is not what I saying.  But, you do not give a scholarship to an ex-Vashon player just to keep the Vashon coaching staff and players happy.  The player receiving it must project as a key contributor, a "player".

If Russell has the potential to succeed Yuri as lead point guard in Ford and his staff's opinion, then give him a scholarship.  I would be very surprised if the Staff sees him that way. If not, then do everything possible to keep him as a walk on.  Or help him find a school where he might fit, like was likely done for Diarra.

I'm just a fan, what do I know?   But pretty sure SLU recruits players they think can become starters or key rotation players.  There are only 13 scholarships and so two true point guards is likely the absolute maximum  number on the squad.  Seems to me, there is no room for roster charity.

I know there was an injury to Yuri, but Ford played Russell more than Strickland the second half of the season. Do you think Strickland deserves to stay? Make some sense of where Russell is at in the program? Frankly, I would take Russell over Lorentson. I don’t see the big Swede getting PT next year, maybe never.

24 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I know there was an injury to Yuri, but Ford played Russell more than Strickland the second half of the season. Do you think Strickland deserves to stay? Make some sense of where Russell is at in the program? Frankly, I would take Russell over Lorentson. I don’t see the big Swede getting PT next year, maybe never.

Strickland does not play point guard.  Simple ...... Ford needed a ball handling,  play making guard at the time, not a small forward.

5 hours ago, Littlebill said:

Keeping Vashon happy is important imo

Whether Russell remains at SLU or not won't affect SLU's relationship with Vashon.  Ford really really likes Philip.  Philip was told he wouldn't get many minutes this year.  If Ford however decides to upgrade and go a different direction at point guard it won't affect future recruiting down at Vashon.

I’m sure Russell came to SLU with some understanding of what it would take to earn a scholarship. Based on how much he played this year and how Ford speaks about him, I would be shocked if he were not on scholarship next year.

The thing is, I don’t think we don’t really need extra scholarship spots. The days of having 13 guys who all expect to get playing time some day are likely over. With the transfer rules kids will be more likely to leave if they’re not playing rather than wait till they’re an upperclassmen. Everyone on our current roster seems outwardly happy, but it would still be very surprising if nobody transferred.

Reinert310 likes this

Russell has shown me little that deserves a scholarship.  Yeah, I know, he was 14th man on the roster but I still don't see it.  I see Aaron Hines II.  If there is all this talent coming free on the transfer market, Russell will be bypassed there as well.

2 minutes ago, slu72 said:

No surprise here. I would guess Coach Poach to be heavily involved. Although, I guess this is not a poaching situation. Any thoughts on how much we need him if he is at all interested? 

He’d be a great complement to Perkins right away, they could be a dynamic duo at the 3/4. Fletcher’s biggest problem last year seemed to be defending without fouling (59 minute sample size, >6 fouls/40). He’d probably at least help soften the blow of losing Goodwin’s rebounding. 

Just now, wgstl said:

I’d be surprised if he came here, He would get very little PT next year and I don’t think he’d  want to sit out another year

You really think he wouldn’t compete for PT? He was a top 60 player in high school and is an elite athlete. Perkins is the only 100% guaranteed starter next year (Yuri at like 99%), you have to think he’d be able to compete for minutes. 

4 minutes ago, Zink said:

You really think he wouldn’t compete for PT? He was a top 60 player in high school and is an elite athlete. Perkins is the only 100% guaranteed starter next year (Yuri at like 99%), you have to think he’d be able to compete for minutes. 

If we do sign him, then I'd expect we'll have some players entering the portal. No names, but just a hunch. It's just the way it is these days. 

7 minutes ago, Zink said:

Hargrove is also an elite athlete who shot the 3 very well this year. Along with GJ, and perkins thats a lot of talent to just assume a guy who never played for 9 win team to just jump in and take their minutes.  Also yes he was a top 60 player, doesnt mean he'll play like it. 

Im not saying I dont want him, in case anyone gets that confused.  I just dont think he'll want to go to a program with several players at that spot. 

Zink likes this

5 minutes ago, slu72 said:

If we do sign him, then I'd expect we'll have some players entering the portal. No names, but just a hunch. It's just the way it is these days. 

One name would really stand out...

6 minutes ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

He would start for us 

Are you saying this because he was a former 70th ranked recruit?  Because we dont have any college tape to go off of.