Transfers - 2021

ACE

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jared Kimbrough just said goodbye and thanks to the La Salle community.  Not official but other A10 guys already out include Ian Boyd of Mason,  Sincere Carry of Duquesne (Kent State), Jimmy Clark of VCU, David Czerapowicz of Davidson, Myles Douglas of St. Joes, Ayinde Hikim of La Salle (UMass-Lowell), Maceo jack of Geedubya (Buffalo), Quentin Medcalf of St. Bonaventure, Jameer Nelson Jr. of Geedubya (Delaware),  Lamar Norman Jr. of Duquesne, Anthony Roberts of St. Bonaventure, Ace Satllings of Geedubya, Brandon Stone of La Salle (Robert Morris), Andre Weir of Richmond (Florida Gulf Coast), and Justin Winston of St. Bonaventure (Robert Morris).  The only transfer listed as incoming to an A10 school is Ryan Murphy from Tulane to Duquesne, but he's already on the roster and playing.

Pistol likes this

I see Tre Mitchell as somewhat soft.  Yesterday's TV announcers even said he needs to get in the gym and dedicate himself to conditioning and getting better.  He appeared to have no muscle definition at all in his upper body ala Hasahn.  And again there are no real big men in the A10 to challenge him night in and night out but in the NBA, if he sticks to a roster, there will be three guys each night on the opposing bench ready to push him around.  I understand that (defense) is the main reason Toppin can't crack the Knick's lineup.  For a big guy, he sure flops a lot.  Of course, that's the call nowadays ---- yelling, fake head tosses, falling down on layups, the whole Academy Award deal.  And I know its tough on the refs because the call is all about their angle.  Just amazing again to me how we seem to get phantom calls against us and then guys like Noah Fernandes and Carl Pierre are mugging our ballhandlers and no calls.  Fernandes plays the entire game had checking his opponent.  

Mitchell was a chubby kid four years ago.  He's done a lot of conditioning work to get to the playing weight he is now.  And he's already the best big man in the conference, by a pretty significant margin. 

Mitchell has already done 90% of the work.  If he can complete the last 10%, he's an All-American.

Wofford has two players entering the transfer portal.  The first guy, all-conference guard Storm Murphy, would start for us.  His running mate, Tray Hollowell, is a former SLU offer and would be a nice option off the bench if we can't land a starting lead guard.  Both players have NCAA experience.

On 3/3/2021 at 3:17 PM, ACE said:

There are already 222 declared transfers and the season isn't even over yet for most teams. The previous two seasons there were about 1,000 transfers each season. I'm going to take the over this year.

So, almost 1/4 of all scholarship athletes transfer every year? Really?

1,000/4,500

Why put any limit on transferring, the current limits have little effect.

2 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

So, almost 1/4 of all scholarship athletes transfer every year? Really?

1,000/4,500

Why put any limit on transferring, the current limits have little effect.

A third of them were grad transfers.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2020-01-17/new-data-suggests-transfers-division-i-mens-basketball-have

Looking through the current list, here's who jumps out as familiar names, with current school in parentheses:

Had an offer from SLU at some point:
Nimari Burnett (Texas Tech)
Dallas Watson (Saint Peter's) - grad transfer
Wyatt Yess (Yale) - grad transfer

Had SLU interest at some point:
Ron Artest, III (CSU-Northridge)
Tray Hollowell (Wofford) - grad transfer
P.J. Pipes (Green Bay) - I think the interest was from Crews' staff, though. Also a grad transfer.

14 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

I'm still not giving up on Justyn Mutts.

Nor should you ever

We have good guards already. In my opinion any guard transfer we were to target either needs to be a difference maker (potential all conference player) or someone specifically targeted for the backup PG role. Personally, a player like Hollowell wouldn’t move the needle, even if his skill set is different than our current stable of guards.