Extra Game Next Week?

kshoe

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea whether we are in or out of the Dance, we will find out Sunday. Today is Friday, there is no announcement or confirmation of an extra game, and I think the chances of playing an extra game are practically nil at this time.

I hope Palm is right but as it stands now, we're not in the field. Nearly all bracketology sites have us as the 1st through 4th team out, one even has us the 7th team out. I consider that one and Palm's to be the outliers at this point. When it could've been scheduled the only two games that made sense to play were Drake and they had already played their max. number of games, and Davidson. Playing either Missouri State or Wright State on the road wouldn't have caused a ripple.

If everything breaks right this weekend we might get the last bid and we all know the odds of that are very slim. still slightly hopeful but, most likely, it's Hello, NIT.

2 hours ago, 73Billiken said:

As of Friday morning X is out per Jerry Palm and SLU is in......

Didnt Jerry say late last night we were out?

11 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

Classic Stu. I don’t even know what he’s implying 

Stu doesn't even know what he's implying. He was tweeting last week about potentially adding a game with Drake and some average Joe had to explain to him that Drake has already maxed out on non-conference games.

At this point, Id feel very good with playing Mo state at home.  Feels like we just need a win going into Sunday, doesn't matter really who or where. Ending on a big L is what scares me. 

Does anyone else realize that no one really wants this extra game, Xavier, Boise, Mo st, Davidson? It’s cute and cool to say “we want to play,” but who is actually playing another game? Also seems even less likely with the shite storm going on in the ACC tourney. 

1 minute ago, A10Ref said:

Does anyone else realize that no one really wants this extra game, Xavier, Boise, Mo st, Davidson? It’s cute and cool to say “we want to play,” but who is actually playing another game? Also seems even less likely with the shite storm going on in the ACC tourney. 

I wonder if teams are basically being told that an extra game is not going to change anything in the eyes of the selection committee because the selection committee doesn't want to set a precedent for teams trying to boost their resume AFTER their conference tournaments are over.  It does seem like it opens a can of worms a bit and could lead to conferences doing something like the A10 did this year in the future.  You play the early rounds one week and the championship the next to give teams that lose early another opportunity to add resume boosting wins.  If the NCAA / TV networks are trying to protect the "championship week" brand, that could very well be the case.

5 minutes ago, wgstl said:

At this point, Id feel very good with playing Mo state at home.  Feels like we just need a win going into Sunday, doesn't matter really who or where. Ending on a big L is what scares me. 

As inconsistent as we have been after the pause any game is a risk. Now in the tournament you eat the pay day so a potential loss is somewhat muted. I have around early that playing the game may not be worth the downside. You can not get a game against a team that would actually help so why play a lower team at all. Another win against a lower team proves nothing. We already have enough wins or games to qualify for consideration

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

I wonder if teams are basically being told that an extra game is not going to change anything in the eyes of the selection committee because the selection committee doesn't want to set a precedent for teams trying to boost their resume AFTER their conference tournaments are over.  It does seem like it opens a can of worms a bit and could lead to conferences doing something like the A10 did this year in the future.  You play the early rounds one week and the championship the next to give teams that lose early another opportunity to add resume boosting wins.  If the NCAA / TV networks are trying to protect the "championship week" brand, that could very well be the case.

So I guess instead of just encouraging teams not to schedule games by telling them they wouldn't matter the NCAA suddenly realized they actually have a bylaw that forbids teams from scheduling games.  Lol.

52 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Soooo.... basically none of the dozens of teams or talking heads on TV and radio that have been bantering about the idea of playing an extra game knew about this bylaw until just now? Something doesn't smell right with that.

Just now, kshoe said:

Soooo.... basically none of the dozens of teams or talking heads on TV and radio that have been bantering about the idea of playing an extra game knew about this bylaw until just now? Something doesn't smell right with that.

And it's only a source that says the NCAA has a bylaw??? How about somebody just pull up the rulebook and find the bylaw?