Extra Game Next Week?

kshoe

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

It’s almost like Stu doesn’t read his own words. If we’re considered OUT right now, of course we should try to get another game. Doing otherwise is leaving it in the hands of other teams.

Being considered out by bracketologist and being in it out after the committee meets are two different things.

23 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:
27 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

The big assumption here is that the bracketologists are correct.  They rarely hit 100%, including Joe Lunardi.

100% agree. The important point is we are squarely on the bubble. Given this fact, and our limited schedule to date, we should definitely jump on any opportunity to play ourselves in to the tournament.

26 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

The big assumption here is that the bracketologists are correct.  They rarely hit 100%, including Joe Lunardi.

Someone responded to a Lunardi tweet last week with link to some list ranking the accuracy of bracketologists, starting with most accurate.  Lunardi was far down the list. 

4 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

I would not play Xavier.  If the game were to be played, it must be at SLU, and another home game is not what we need.

Xavier should be dead now from an NCAA Tourney perspective, behind SLU.  I think the risks of playing at Xavier (a Loss) outweigh the benefit.

I would have seriously considered SLU playing at Davidson.  At least then a Loss would not be giving a lifeline to an NCAA bid competitor.

Xavier is the 15th most difficult venue for an away team in Div 1

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

If we can’t beat them at X, we never belonged in the tournament.  They aren’t that good.

you say that like they didnt beat a ranked OU team by 22 and ranked CU.  Would not say they arent very good, I'd say inconsistent

6 minutes ago, wgstl said:

you say that like they didnt beat a ranked OU team by 22 and ranked CU.  Would not say they arent very good, I'd say inconsistent

If we can’t beat a team that is on the wrong side of the bubble we don’t belong in the tournament.  We have a chance to get a game that could punch our ticket and it seems like some fans would rather not to play that game and would just be happy to complain about how unfair the committee was when we get left out.

2 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

So we want a Q1 game but at Xavier doesn't suffice? Who the f else are we gonna get? That seems like the dream scenario to me. Play a Q1 team who is fading fast. I would agree we need a game away from home so might as well play a team that can't beat anyone right now

Agree with you here.

I really wonder if SLU is letting this night play out and will schedule a Saturday/Sunday game based on this? All of the sudden you have, in addition to Xavier a Boise State team willing to play and maybe another game? Maybe more? SLU may have an interesting pick of games coming or maybe a willingness of a team to come to SLU to play.

Lunardi and Palm keeping Boise State in there is a farce.

That team finished in 4th Place in the 12th ranked Mountain West, has lost 4 straight, including to a sub-.500 (10-11) Fresno State team (NET 188), and just lost FOR A THIRD TIME to Nevada (NET 98).

There is no way Boise State is better than the Billikens.  Period.

dlarry likes this

18 minutes ago, brianstl said:

If we can’t beat them at X, we never belonged in the tournament.  They aren’t that good.

You could throw a blanket over all these Bubble teams.  How can you really say one is better or worse than the other?  They all have flaws.  Playing any of them on the road is a big risk.

I agree Xavier is not that good.  I also think Xavier is dead from an NCAA at large bid perspective.  Why give X a lifeline?  Xavier has been a major SLU adversary in the past.  Xavier jumped at the first Big East overture, was gone with Butler in a flash, left SLU parked in the A10. 

Now X is begging for help.  Let them wither on the vine and die (from a '21 Hoops perspective). 

The same should go for Boise State.  Is Boise State still in the hunt because the Committee is looking for some Boise State feel good story like when Boise State Football beat Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl, and the Boise State RB scored a TD, then promptly proposed to the Boise State cheerleader?  Plus, Boise State should be penalized for that Blue Football field, which is hazardous to the wellbeing of the aviaries.

Personally, I think the risk of losing the extra game outweighs the benefit we may gain from winning it. It is a complicated mess but I think there is nothing we can do that will INSURE our going to the dance. I think we have a good chance of going, but we must accept the fact that we may not go. Looking at the whole season, the Covid pause screwed us up big time. We did not play the way we were playing before the Covid pause for the rest of the season.

1 hour ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Lunardi and Palm keeping Boise State in there is a farce.

That team finished in 4th Place in the 12th ranked Mountain West, has lost 4 straight, including to a sub-.500 (10-11) Fresno State team (NET 188), and just lost FOR A THIRD TIME to Nevada (NET 98).

There is no way Boise State is better than the Billikens.  Period.

Are they hanging on a road win at BYU? Because that is all there is.