Extra Game Next Week?

kshoe

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I would do it, but Ford's comments leave me thinking SLU might think this game is too high risk.  I don't get the comments from Ford on 101 the other day.  Seems like the program is oddly over confident about their chances.  They may end up being correct, but I would prefer we put our chances in our own hands as much as possible.

Either that, or Ford genuinely thought we couldn’t get a game is trying to play it off as because we’re already in rather than admitting we may be screwed.

Either way, I would absolutely want to play Xavier. 

8 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I would do it, but Ford's comments leave me thinking SLU might think this game is too high risk.  I don't get the comments from Ford on 101 the other day.  Seems like the program is oddly over confident about their chances.  They may end up being correct, but I would prefer we put our chances in our own hands as much as possible.

I got this feeling too.

Has someone been in their ear?

I am on the other side of the coin. I have no confidence whatsoever.

Bizziken likes this

15 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I got this feeling too.

Has someone been in their ear?

I am on the other side of the coin. I have no confidence whatsoever.

The other day I had mentioned that I wonder if Ford had been in contract with someone from the NCAA about their season.  I do think that Ford has been told that possibly the first game or two back will be overlooked.  If this is true, that's enough for our resume to get us in.  OR someone told him positive news.  

i keep seeing Drake is in.   i am unimpressed with Drake.   so i say play drake.   if we are worthy and if our guys really want to be in this is the game we should covet.   win that i would think it pushes our profile way up.  

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

i keep seeing Drake is in.   i am unimpressed with Drake.   so i say play drake.   if we are worthy and if our guys really want to be in this is the game we should covet.   win that i would think it pushes our profile way up.  

Drake said they were out of games. 

The Dilemma

We are still 50-50...as we have been since the St. B game and  we will continue  to be if we don't do anything.  Bubble team games will cancel each other out going forward as they have to this point.

So if we add a game ...let's say Xavier... If we play them at the Fetz...we have a 60% chance of winning....we gain a slight edge but we are still in the subjective bubble where the Committee can still snub us. If we go to X's arena and win , we will get a bid...if we lose ...we are out...Probability to win ...about 40%...X is one of the toughest venues to play in.

The Dilemma...stay with 50 -50 or go all in with a 40% chance to win.

cgeldmacher likes this

Evansville would be about half way for both SLU and X.  Don't need anything more than a basketball floor.  Bleachers would be optional.

The only 'down side', a game against Xavier could very well be an elimination game.  But, if Ford was serious about playing a game that would mean something, this is it.  I'm in the go for it crowd.

And I looked up X's schedule, and they only played 7 OOC games.

6 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Play Xavier wherever they want to play - Cincy, St. Louis, the moon, wherever. Based on what I saw yesterday, we would manhandle those frauds. Put that as the last memory of us in the committee's minds.

commitee......i hope brenda is working the committee unofficially of course, for the billikens.   it's about time she shows her worth to the A10

The NCAA should come out right now and say how a team postponed by Covid will be looked at. I say you get a break on your first game back. If you sit out as long as SLU you should get a 2 game break. If you have the answer to that fair question then it would be clear if we should play or not. Not knowing how it will be treated is crap. Keep in mind, the Kenpoms of the world are not factoring Covid in and we are right there. Factor it in and we are solidly in the tournament. 

NextYearBill likes this

Play the damn game. There is no better opponent out there than Xavier and it's a perfect match up of teams needing the game.

I for one don't believe we are at a 50% chance of getting in right now, but even if we were PLAY THE DAMN GAME. Far better to put your future in your own hands than to let someone on the committee make a decision for you.

7 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Play the damn game. There is no better opponent out there than Xavier and it's a perfect match up of teams needing the game.

I for one don't believe we are at a 50% chance of getting in right now, but even if we were PLAY THE DAMN GAME. Far better to put your future in your own hands than to let someone on the committee make a decision for you.

image.gif.2e4f8259669c5cd6775b08d7dfbf221d.gif

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

I heard that both Willie McCarter and Willie Wise have used up their eligibility, so Drake isn’t as tough as they once were.

billiken_roy likes this

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

Drake is in because they are 19-1 with their leading scorer Shanquan Hempill in the line-up and he will be healthy for the tournament. 

SluSignGuy likes this

1 hour ago, kshoe said:

I'm very torn about this.  I see your point, but what if the committee does forgive one or two of our losses after the COVID pause and would have us easily in, and what if we play Xavier and get refereeing like we did in the VCU game?  We could be the better team, play better, but take the loss because of bad zebras.  Then we will have played ourselves out of the tournament.  I just don't know what the right answer is.

1 minute ago, cgeldmacher said:

I'm very torn about this.  I see your point, but what if the committee does forgive one or two of our losses after the COVID pause and would have us easily in, and what if we play Xavier and get refereeing like we did in the VCU game?  We could be the better team, play better, but take the loss because of bad zebras.  Then we will have played ourselves out of the tournament.  I just don't know what the right answer is.

Play the game and prove you're worthy. Period.

1 hour ago, kshoe said:

My opinion is similar. What’s the point of the whole season if it’s not to win games with the goal of getting yourself in the NCAA tournament. I don’t really care about the math, the rankings, the quadrants, etc. We should be jumping at any opportunity to play Xavier any year, especially when it could get us in the tourney. And if we lose, and it was a bad move in hindsight, then at least we lost playing as opposed to waiting.

slufan13 likes this