Extra Game Next Week?

kshoe

3 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

Maybe Loyola could do us a solid and play us even though they are already in.

I was thinking this too. Loyola will have gone 12 days at a minimum without a game before they play their first NCAA tournament game. I feel like they could use a game in there but I guess the two arguments against that are 1) you risk injury/covid exposure and 2) they went to the Final Four with a long break in between games 3 years ago.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

54 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

What would be the rationale behind not playing in the NIT?

Nothing to play for and key players not returning are typically the first couple things mentioned. 

I'm not a fan of the NIT, so we'll see how it goes. 

49 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

This is a good PR move. Let's spread the news. It either puts pressure on the committee to potentially "over-consider" SLU or it plants the seed for how unfair the process is 

So per this new revisionist explanation, playing a full schedule of nonconference cupcakes and in a watered down Valley, with 1 good team, that you lost to twice by double digits, once by 27 points, trumps a clearly better team that was unable to play 9 games due to a Covid outbreak and protocols and was in Covid quarantine 33 days between games.

The goal posts appear to be moving.  

Zink likes this

1 hour ago, Box and Won said:

My first thought was that if you're in the First Four Out list, you're standby for a COVID-related cancellation from an NCAA Tournament team from a multi-bid conference:

Most simply explained, the last four teams that did not make the original NCAA tournament field as at-large teams will be designated as replacement teams “if they choose to be considered as much.”

Those four teams will be ranked 1-4, with the first team out being first in line as a potential replacement team. The four teams will remain on their respective campuses and continue COVID-19 testing protocol until it is determined whether or not they need to travel to Indianapolis for the tournament. If any of the four replacement teams are not needed, they will be No. 1 seeds in the NIT, which is scheduled for first-round play March 17-20.

(If there's an NCAAT cancellation of a team from a one-bid conference, the replacement comes from that same conference as long as they meet protocols.)

So I guess the NIT is working with the NCAAT for those top seeds, one of which could very well be SLU? I just want to make sure that we wouldn't be turning down the NIT for the NCAAT standby list and be left not playing at all.

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

My first thought was that if you're in the First Four Out list, you're standby for a COVID-related cancellation from an NCAA Tournament team from a multi-bid conference:

Most simply explained, the last four teams that did not make the original NCAA tournament field as at-large teams will be designated as replacement teams “if they choose to be considered as much.”

Those four teams will be ranked 1-4, with the first team out being first in line as a potential replacement team. The four teams will remain on their respective campuses and continue COVID-19 testing protocol until it is determined whether or not they need to travel to Indianapolis for the tournament. If any of the four replacement teams are not needed, they will be No. 1 seeds in the NIT, which is scheduled for first-round play March 17-20.

(If there's an NCAAT cancellation of a team from a one-bid conference, the replacement comes from that same conference as long as they meet protocols.)

So I guess the NIT is working with the NCAAT for those top seeds, one of which could very well be SLU? I just want to make sure that we wouldn't be turning down the NIT for the NCAAT standby list and be left not playing at all.

I think a team would be able to do both in that explanation. Hold out as a First Four Out until the date when teams are set and then possibly go to the NIT as a 1 seed (under the old rules)...not sure how they will bracket the 16 team NIT. 

I don't think it's hold out and miss the NIT, but who knows? 

There would be no reason not to play in the NIT. Get the returning players more experience and a chance for Has and JGood to add to their career stats.

4 minutes ago, WUH said:

SLU has to play in the NIT if the NCAA is not an option.

Also, I think SLU should schedule Missouri State if they can find no better team.

Both Fords are looking so why not?

I don't know that anyone has to play in the NIT (even though I found the article and believed Newton's quote was policy), but LSU flat out refused to play after the Ben Simmons season. 

3 minutes ago, WUH said:

I think you have to if you are Travis Ford and SLU, but for sure, they can opt out if they choose to.

Like I was saying, I thought that the quote from CM Newton that they must opt out of the NIT before the season was policy (and several national sources said the same thing)...I've been wrong before and probably would be again. 

1) its been a crazy year with some players not seeing their families for a really long time.( which when I was that age not seeing my family for several months was like a vacation)

2) we are led by 2 seniors.  You hear a lot about teams that have seniors as main contributors not playing in the NIT.

3) just pure disappointment of not making the tournament.

Not saying I agree with turning it down.  

I think playing both Mo state and a Belmont could help.

You play 22 games on the season.  MSU is 93rd and Belmont is 90th. I doubt any team we schedule unless its a Arizona would want to play at their home, so I'd think games would be Neutral.  That said, it would add 2 Q2 games, and winning both would bring us back to mid 30's

BilliesBy40 likes this

2 hours ago, Box and Won said:

We can point to excuses for why we did not make the NCAA on the recruiting trail.  If we make the NIT and do badly, it paints a more clear picture why we did not deserve to make the NCAA.

23 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I think playing both Mo state and a Belmont could help.

You play 22 games on the season.  MSU is 93rd and Belmont is 90th. I doubt any team we schedule unless its a Arizona would want to play at their home, so I'd think games would be Neutral.  That said, it would add 2 Q2 games, and winning both would bring us back to mid 30's

Belmont has played their max number of OOC games. Not an option unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, SluSignGuy said:

We can point to excuses for why we did not make the NCAA on the recruiting trail.  If we make the NIT and do badly, it paints a more clear picture why we did not deserve to make the NCAA.

SLU, post-covid quarantine, is a Jeckyll & Hyde team, sometimes from game to game.  The Good Billikens could reach the Sweet 16 of the NCAA, if allowed a seat at that table, or win the NIT.  It's like dealing with the Bank.  If you don't ask, the answer is always No.  I say with emphasis, you don't opt out.  You don't turn down the NIT, which is actually going to be a good tournament of 16 teams, with none this year being NIT automatic bids, low con regular season conference champions that didn't win their conference tournament.

I realize the NIT is not the goal.  It never is the goal.  But it is a worthy, credible tournament.  Pistol Pete Maravich played in the NIT.

I think back to past SLU teams in my days of awareness of the program, even before that.  A SLU alumnus from the late '60's told me about the '68 SLU team, that had 3 future Pro (meaning ABA/NBA) players (confirmed) in the starting lineup, 7'0" Rich Niemann, 6'7" (also listed at 6'9") Gene Moore, and 6'2" point guard Barry Orms, all Seniors, along with 6'4" Soph Joe Wiley.  That SLU team went 15-11, 9-7, 4th Place in the then rugged MVC, no post-season play.  That team lost to UCLA with Lew Alcindor at Pauley Pavilion.  The nonconference schedule also included Missouri, Kansas, Iowa

Re the NIT, I think of the first SLU teams of my awareness, in the early '70's under Coach Bob Polk, of Harry Rogers, a great Billiken (Javonte Perkins is Harry Rogers' second coming), who played on 3 really good SLU teams from '71 to '73.  Harry Rogers' teams sole post-season game, if that is the proper term, was the '71 MVC Playoff game vs. Louisville at Bradley, when the MVC finished in a 3 way regular season tie, Drake, Louisville, and SLU.  Those 3 teams with Harry Rogers went 54-27 vs. tough competition, including Notre Dame, Illinois, Missouri and 28-14 in the MVC, which included Louisville.  Those 3 teams did not even get NIT bids.  

The Dark Ages of Billiken Basketball began after the '73 season, and lasted through the '85 season, 12 sub-.500 seasons.  My seven (7) years at SLU were the last 7 years of those Dark Ages.  We would have been happy for the Billikens to be over .500.  We would have been near ecstatic for SLU to get to play in the NIT.

Yes, times have changed.  But they really haven't changed that much.  Don't turn down a gift horse, even if it's a pony.  Without knowing, I'm pretty sure the players would rather play basketball games against good teams on TV.