Extra Game Next Week?

kshoe

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Lando Griffin said:

If I were Chris May and Travis Ford I would be on the phone with any bubble team that would listen setting up road games Thursday and Saturday.  

SLU loses nothing if they drop these games and has everything to gain by winning.  If they can rack up a late Quad 1 win or 2 and stay in the conservation as the major conference teams bubbles pop all the better.

The A-10 might have done SLU a favor by dragging out a week between semi and finals as it gives SLU the chance to see if they can back their way in.  

Hello Duke? Hello Mich St? Hello Mountain West teams? Let’s play ball.

All of the teams you mention have conference tournaments this week and, honestly, could help their cause more by getting deep into their tournaments than playing us.  It is why the thought of an extra game looks a bit like a pipe dream right now.  I am hoping something works out. 

The more I think about it, I would skip that extra game. St. Mary’s tried it at least twice, and it didn’t help either time. Granted St. Mary’s played both at home against less than optimal opponents, both from the low con Big Sky. 

I think playing another game is too risky. If we get IN, this team more needs the rest. 

SLU_Lax likes this

Not certain of this, but it seems like Wright State, Net 71, is the only viable option at the moment as they only played 3 regular season non-con games. I doubt if even a road win over them would move the needle though. My guess is no extra game, but my predictions about the A-10 and the tourney have been wrong all week so don’t take it to the bank.

I agree that we should not play an extra game.  Lose and we show we do indeed stink.  Win and the committee will say it is not enough anyway.  That is, unless we can set up a road game against Arizona.  That is the only win I think that would mean anything.  

We can only hope for Bubble carnage and hope that our Covid paused is recognized.

Big one next week is NC State-Cuse in the 8-9 ACC Tourney game. State winning probably knocks the Boeheims out of the discussion and sets up State vs. UVa. State beat them earlier and are playing their best ball of the year even without Devon Daniels. Go ‘Pack!!

According to barttorvik.com, a road win @ Missouri State would boost our NET to 37. Mo State has no incentive to play another game, but there are potential matchups that would help our resume.

Edit: the site predicts our NET to finish at 39 without another game, so the hypothetical bump would be small.

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

There's talk on Twitter that Drake already played the max number of non conference games 

I  looked on their schedule, and they played 8 D1 OOC games plus 2 D2 OOC games.  I could be wrong but I think you can play 9 D1 OOC games and those other two D2 games wouldn't count. 

18 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Big one next week is NC State-Cuse in the 8-9 ACC Tourney game. State winning probably knocks the Boeheims out of the discussion and sets up State vs. UVa. State beat them earlier and are playing their best ball of the year even without Devon Daniels. Go ‘Pack!!

Are you forgetting about Jim Boehim's lifetime auto bid that he was granted a decade ago in secret by the NCAA.  Syracuse just has to field a team to qualify for the tourney, as long as Boehim coaches them.  Really.

12 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I  looked on their schedule, and they played 8 D1 OOC games plus 2 D2 OOC games.  I could be wrong but I think you can play 9 D1 OOC games and those other two D2 games wouldn't count. 

Everything is different this year but I thought in previous years 2 D2 games equaled 1 D1 game. 

46 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

I agree that we should not play an extra game.  Lose and we show we do indeed stink.  Win and the committee will say it is not enough anyway.  That is, unless we can set up a road game against Arizona.  That is the only win I think that would mean anything.  

We can only hope for Bubble carnage and hope that our Covid paused is recognized.

So they have every incentive to play.  If the committee says it’s not enough then in the end it was another game.  They also will have a decent sized layoff if they do get in so it may not be a bad idea just from a game shape perspective to play too.

if you can get an Arizona to play I say do it.  You’ve got nothing to lose as I think we all agree they are on the outside looking in right now anyway.  

39 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Everything is different this year but I thought in previous years 2 D2 games equaled 1 D1 game. 

Could be but like you I really don't know. 

But I don't like our chances at 50/50 right now.  Play someone, and see what happens.  A loss would be devastating.  A win might give us a small push. 

slufan13 likes this

With NET of 44, if the NCAA follows the NET (it does, with exceptions), SLU is the 6th to last team IN. I fear gerrymandering, with at least 1 Big East team below the cutoff line, possibly 2 added (56 Xavier, 57 Seton Hall, 67 St. John’s), 2-4 ACC teams added (49 Syracuse, 51 Louisville are IN per the NET with Louisville holding the 37th and final at large bid; 59 Duke, 66 NC State below the cut off), with the AAC with only 1 team IN (53 Memphis, 54 SMU, 65 Wichita State, all below the line), with 52 Ole Miss (SEC) as the first team out, and Michigan State 72, 8-11 in the Big Ten still lurking. For that matter 32 Maryland is 9-10 in the Big East. 
I doubt the 12th ranked Mountain West gets 4 teams. One or two of 42 Boise State, 47 Utah State and 50 Colorado State are prime targets for excision. 
Let’s get 40 Drake a blowout Loss today. That would help SLU’s 50:50 chances.

Belmont got beat by Morehead State in the OVC finals.  Belmont is 26-4, but before the finals had a NET of 81, so they are probably on the outside looking in

. Don't know if they could even play an extra game, but don't see them being able to bring their NET up high enough.

Still think  Belmont would be a good addition to the A-10.

2 hours ago, Lando Griffin said:

The highest NET ranking team whose season is done without a hope of an at large bid is Davidson.

is the A-10 interested in helping get a third team in and brokering something together? 

I was thinking this last week and see that Davidson has only played 7 non-conference games. Scheduling them would be considered a non-con game so I think we should go for it, especially if we can play them there.

I’m just catching up on this thread but are people really suggesting we don’t play a game this week because they think we already have a good chance of getting in? That’s crazy talk to me. We aren’t getting in as it stands now.

I think we should try and schedule two games. Memphis on Tuesday and Drake on Friday. Or something like that. Go on the road if you can. 

cgeldmacher likes this

5 hours ago, Lando Griffin said:

The highest NET ranking team whose season is done without a hope of an at large bid is Davidson.

is the A-10 interested in helping get a third team in and brokering something together? 

It would actually be in Davidson's best interest to lose to us, unless they think they can get an at large. More $$ to the conference and them with a third bid.

4 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I’m just catching up on this thread but are people really suggesting we don’t play a game this week because they think we already have a good chance of getting in? That’s crazy talk to me. We aren’t getting in as it stands now.

I think the people saying we have a good chance are in the minority. Most of us seem to agree that our chances are slim.

5 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Drake played an NAIA team and a D-2 team. How can that be ignored?

We need The Valley to be Juan Bid.

Drake lost to Moser,  While I respect what both teams have done,  I would think SLU beats them both on a neutral Court.   Drake with their injuries has no depth....whoever said it before is right, they were lucky UNI could not play, and they got to play the semi-final game as their first game.

6 hours ago, BilliesBy40 said:

According to barttorvik.com, a road win @ Missouri State would boost our NET to 37. Mo State has no incentive to play another game, but there are potential matchups that would help our resume.

Edit: the site predicts our NET to finish at 39 without another game, so the hypothetical bump would be small.

Missouri State coach Dana Ford said that they're looking to play another game or two. Probably to try and get an NIT bid.