Retire #0

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When you look at his stats based on the lost games I think he’s the next man up for a banner, but I concede there are several others worthy. The intangibles are what sets him apart. I wonder if he were to come back another year how his stats would be perceived? Another JGood type of year and the banner becomes a no brainer imo 

If we don't make the dance, I'm not gonna be shocked if both Has and JGood decide to give it one more go. Not a knock on Has, but I'd think he has to know the NBA is a stretch at this point. Now, if he's heard from the NFL that's a different matter all together. And I can't recall a game where the announcers didn't say, he's a tight end in the making. 

4 minutes ago, slu72 said:

If we don't make the dance, I'm not gonna be shocked if both Has and JGood decide to give it one more go. Not a knock on Has, but I'd think he has to know the NBA is a stretch at this point. Now, if he's heard from the NFL that's a different matter all together. And I can't recall a game where the announcers didn't say, he's a tight end in the making. 

No chance Has returns, JGood I could see.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

I tend to feel the same way. I'm more generous about Halls of Fame - if I were a baseball voter, I'd probably max out my 10 each year - but there's just something about taking numbers out of commission that I don't like. I'm also pretty sure the jerseys are retired and not the numbers, except for Easy Ed's 50. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

In SLU's case, those are the All-Americans who weren't honorable mention. That seems like an important distinction. This is also a program that has not made a Sweet Sixteen in the modern era. Maybe we should actually do something in the postseason before making exceptions.

Goodwin is a borderline top-ten all-time SLU player in my book. As time goes on, he may look even better in historical context. (And his career isn't over.) There's no shame in being an all-time great and Billiken HOFer.

I know this has been SLU's answer from time to time on who gets a jersey hung and who doesn't, but it isn't actually the case.  Bonner was an honorable mention All-American from all the recognized organizations.  He may have made third team from some organization that was around a couple of years, but even SLU's record book has him listed as honorable mention. Then you have Ray Steiner who was a third team All-American by both the AP and UPI, but his jersey doesn't hang.

I have no issue with Bonner's jersey being up there.  He is the program's all-time leading scorer and rebounder.  It belongs there.

3 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I know this has been SLU's answer from time to time on who gets a jersey hung and who doesn't, but it isn't actually the case.  Bonner was an honorable mention All-American from all the recognized organizations.  He may have made third team from some organization that was around a couple of years, but even SLU's record book has him listed as honorable mention. Then you have Ray Steiner who was a third team All-American by both the AP and UPI, but his jersey doesn't hang.

I have no issue with Bonner's jersey being up there.  He is the program's all-time leading scorer and rebounder.  It belongs there.

I'm fine with both of those exceptions.

25 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Mo Allie Cox has carved out a decent career. Has should absolutely go for it. I think he could be a beast.

billiken_roy likes this

I’ve been lucky enough to watch some outstanding players for SLU since attending games in 69. For so many reasons, J-Good ranks very high for me. 

He was treated poorly by the Administration in S2. He could have left. I’m sure dozens of schools were throwing feelers to his family and support group. If he leaves, I’m of the opinion Has leaves. They came to play together. If that happens, does Coach stay? I don’t know, but he would have been demoralized by the departure of those 2 and the others in S2. 

I believe Coach is perfect for our program. Jordan goes and it may have all crumbled. Jordan is Team Blue personified. For that, I support hanging his Jersey. (Not retiring it)

I just think we should be celebrating our success. Hang the jerseys

I'd hang (from 1990 ) and I'm sure I missed somebody

Claggs

Highmark

Perry

Justin Love

Jett

Evans

Hughes 

Lisch

Dobbs

Liddell

Mitchell

Let Parents and Grandparents point them out to their sons and daughters while reminiscing and telling stories about when Claggs or Perry played. Let them compare them to the stars their kids currently idolize. What doesn't SLU get? To me this seems like a no brainer

1 minute ago, slufanskip said:

I just think we should be celebrating our success. Hang the jerseys

I'd hang (from 1990 ) and I'm sure I missed somebody

Claggs

Highmark

Perry

Justin Love

Jett

Evans

Hughes 

Lisch

Dobbs

Liddell

Mitchell

Let Parents and Grandparents point them out to their sons and daughters while reminiscing and telling stories about when Claggs or Perry played. Let them compare them to the stars their kids currently idolize. What doesn't SLU get? To me this seems like a no brainer

I agree. You don't have to retire the number, but it would seem to make sense to put a banner up for every one of the school's bball Hall of Famers. Plenty of room up in the rafters and it would dress things up.

5 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Ham Strong! 

That's got to be a guy on the top ten all time NAME list.  He's no Kofi Cockburn but...... 

I had the pleasure of working with Ham 45 years ago. Fine gentlemen. Never saw him play in I guess the 50’s 

6 hours ago, Fraz said:

He’ll likely get into the top 10 all time in 4 of the 5 major statistical categories for Billiken history.  If we’re looking for “exclusivity” , what other Billiken has done that?

Just a minor clarification that's not very important, Rebound Career records go back to 52-53, Blocks and Steals back to 75-76 and Assists back to 69-70.  Those categories weren't tracked before then.  Ed Macauley's rebounds will remain a complete unknown.