Retire #0

I don't care what happens next. Goodwin played with an energy and a love for the game that was infectious as a fan. He did it all on the court and was always putting his team first. He also went through some tough luck with the situation and covid but persevered and had one of the greatest careers in program history. He's my favorite billiken ever and I'm guessing he's up there for most of you. I guess it might be tough to retire his number and not Has but whatever. He's the local kid, the home town hero. Could this be a spur of the moment overreaction... maybe. But I don't care!! RETIRE #0. LONG LIVE J GOOD!

Tonka and Fraz like this

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, slufan13 said:

You can't retire someone's number these days who won 0 NCAA tournament games....which is fine because Goodwin will leave SLU with 4 or more NCAA wins

Iswydt 

Absolutely. Without a doubt he’s become my favorite billiken. After all the early mudslinging, he’s always been right there, proudly repping team blue. 

39 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

You can't retire someone's number these days who won 0 NCAA tournament games....which is fine because Goodwin will leave SLU with 4 or more NCAA wins

I know you threw in the “these days” caveat, but Bonner has his number retired or honored or whatever and he didn’t even play in an NCAA game much less win one.

IMO SLU should honor a lot more players than it has: Claggett, Highmark, Jett and Evans should have jerseys in the rafters probably some “old timers” like Rodgers and Wiley too.

13 minutes ago, juniorbill76 said:

What’s the deadline for seniors to decide if they want to come back? Asking for a friend.

I’m assuming as long as he doesn’t declare or sign with an agent, he’d still be eligible, however unlikely it is.

16 minutes ago, slu72 fan said:

I thought you had to be an All-American and graduate to receive this honor. I’ve been told even though Larry Hughes was an All-American, he didn’t graduate. That’s why his jersey hasn’t been placed in the rafters. 

This is my understanding 

4 minutes ago, willie said:

This is my understanding 

I totally understand having rules for retiring numbers, but I wish weren’t so strict, or at least bendable. We’re not gonna run out of numbers and all-time great Billikens deserve the honor.

From the Billiken History & Record Book. 

ALL-AMERICA

Ed Macauley 1946-47

Ed Macauley 1947-48

Ed Macauley 1948-49

Lou Lehman ^ 1948-49

Ray Steiner 1951-52

Dick Boushka 1954-55

Jim McLaughlin ^ 1955-56

Harold Alcorn ^ 1956-57

Bob Ferry 1958-59

Jim Irving ^ 1970-71

David Burns ^ 1980-81

Anthony Bonner ^ 1989-90

Erwin Claggett ^ 1993-94

Larry Hughes ^ 1997-98

Jordair Jett ^ 2013-14

NOTES: Ed Macauley was a consensus All-America pick in 1948 and 1949. He is the only Billiken basketball player to garner consensus All-America honors, as defined by the NCAA. 1947: Helms third team. 1948: Associated Press first team; Helms first team; Converse second team. 1949: Associated Press first team; UPI first team; Look Magazine first team; Collier’s first team. Ray Steiner: Associated Press third team; UPI third team.Dick Boushka: Associated Press third team.Bob Ferry: USBWA first team; Converse second team; Associated Press third team; NABC third team; UPI third team.

^ Associated Press honorable mention All-America

I'm not an expert on this, but it's been explained here before that there are two categories of "retired" numbers. Only Easy Ed's number 50 is actually retired and no one can ever again wear it. The others in the rafters are "retired jerseys" and those numbers are still in use. So I would think a memorable Billiken could have his jersey and number honored without actually taking said number out of circulation.

If I have this wrong, you won't hurt my feelings if you correct me.

FromDaEastSide likes this

10 hours ago, White Pelican said:

I'm not an expert on this, but it's been explained here before that there are two categories of "retired" numbers. Only Easy Ed's number 50 is actually retired and no one can ever again wear it. The others in the rafters are "retired jerseys" and those numbers are still in use. So I would think a memorable Billiken could have his jersey and number honored without actually taking said number out of circulation.

If I have this wrong, you won't hurt my feelings if you correct me.

I am glad you posted this because i was think the same thing yesterday, but I could not come up with any resource to substantiate.  While Goodwin is one of the all time greatest Billikens, you have a long list if you want to start hanging up jerseys.  I bet we would come up with 30 numbers from a discussion on this board.   Example, David Burns had maybe the best two year career in Billiken history. 

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

I am glad you posted this because i was think the same thing yesterday, but I could not come up with any resource to substantiate.  While Goodwin is one of the all time greatest Billikens, you have a long list if you want to start hanging up jerseys.  I bet we would come up with 30 numbers from a discussion on this board.   Example, David Burns had maybe the best two year career in Billiken history. 

This is a fair point but I think that JGood is special. He may very well be the most important recruit the Billikens have had since McCauley because of the role he has played in turning this program around. Think about it, we were bottom feeders of the A10 the three years before he came along. We were in the same tier as Fordham and GW. Yet once he was here, he was the catalyst of this team becoming a top team in the A10 again. And I think that’s worthy of having his Jersey retired.

jonny karate likes this

The NBA has just required that senior college basketball players "opt in" for the NBA draft.  And I don't know exactly what that means other than to serve as notice that they won't be back for that fifth gratis year.  But so what?  Say you opt in and aren't drafted.  Seems to me that the NBA can't restrict your individual freedom of choice, can they?  As far as I can tell, there is no set deadline to declare your intention to return.  Someone please correct/inform me.

17 minutes ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

This is a fair point but I think that JGood is special. He may very well be the most important recruit the Billikens have had since McCauley because of the role he has played in turning this program around. Think about it, we were bottom feeders of the A10 the three years before he came along. We were in the same tier as Fordham and GW. Yet once he was here, he was the catalyst of this team becoming a top team in the A10 again. And I think that’s worthy of having his Jersey retired.

i agree with the influence and effect that jordan goodwin had on saint louis university basketball.   however i agree with the standard that saint louis university has used in deciding the few uniform numbers that hang from the rafter and have been retired.  it has to be special.   and while goodwin has been excellent, there have probably been 0ver 30 other billikens in history that have been as excellent or even better.   nope.  "0" should remain a possible number for future billikens.

AGB91 likes this

2 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

wild take

indeed, seems we'd have no room for more retired #'s if we had 30 players in our modern  history more deserving than JG  we'd have  some NCAA banners taking up all the roof space in auditorium. 

1 minute ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Truly. If we've had that many players as good or better than J Good, we've sure wasted their talents. 10 NCAA tournament appearances in program history. 

yeah we have wasted a lot of potential over the years.    the truth though is that having a jordan goodwin alone doesnt get you to the ncaa tourney.  heck having an anthony bonner with douglas and gray couldnt knock xavier down the needed peg to get us an ncaa bid.  and arguably bonner is the greatest billiken ever.    look at the depth on this team and we are likely on the outside begging for help to get in with less than a month to go.   

dennis_w likes this